Rules and regs in your industry that negatively affect society

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
We have to let 75% of the illegals we catch go free?

Appears the GOV ****s everyone in this thread so far.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Yep, I'm with @MG0h3 . When I first got here I was like a wild horse trying to make a difference. I'm like an old horse who has been beat into submission now. You can only beat your head against the wall for so long.

All I do now is show up, do what is required and then GTFO of here and go home and enjoy my cars..... I have no way to affect policy or procedures. So, I just provide reporting on what the threat to the U.S is and let management determine how to best combat the threat. Problem is agents deter the threat, but then are forced to allow 75% to go free due to U.S. policy. Bunch of BS.

"When you really break it down, the building department is just like the mob." This mob mentality you mention @tistan seems to be running rampant throughout the country. Even at the highest forms of government lobbyist are basically greasing the palms of elected officials in order to get their agenda pushed through. It impacts us all to some degree on a daily basis.

I have a co-worker who has a patch on his back pack. It says "Embrace the Suck." Sums it up quit nicely.......

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, most people that live like oxygen. This push for a such a sealed home is stupid.

People build 3500 (or bigger) square foot homes, and they're worried about too much air leaking through to save energy?

People want cheap housing of yesterday but forget that the average home size 40 years ago was almost half of what people want now.

Eh....

PHX average home size is 3 bed, 2 bath and 1,200 sqft and is $500k

New builds are ****ing trash.

^ Merritage Homes probably has a hit out on him.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Eh....

I watch his youtube shorts. Alarming the things he finds on new builds.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Eh....

The numbers don't lie. The average home size is a 1000 sq ft larger than 40 some years ago. All to have less kids, too.

Yes, some new homes are built like crap. Old builds that seem better can be a product of survivor bias, too. Anything that was built like crap 50 or 60 years ago, probably sold cheap, went to a income limited household, and had poor maintenance on top of the poor build.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Eh....

Let me point out the typical scenario on a track built house. The builder is using supplier that can meet supply deadlines. Trusses packages are ordered with no extra parts then dropped off either with large rolloffs or dumped off in a banded together bundle. It is common for packages to get damaged or contain a truss that may have damage. These discoveries often can't be known till the framing crew is assembling the roof. The project can't be stopped because of a damaged truss. The crew actually did the right thing in using the truss with the Knot broken truss as a sister to another. No high volume truss company is going to stop production to produce one truss and run it out to a job while crews are waiting. The priority at this time is to get the structure dried in. Much more damage can be sustained waiting for a single truss to be reproduced then just going on and finishing the job. All truss companies I've ever used are responsible for repairs and the have their own engineers and repair technicians. Lumber has flaws and fractures happen its common. That guy, in my opinion is playing on the ignorance of the novice. He should know better or is a dipshit.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Let me point out the typical scenario on a track built house. The builder is using supplier that can meet supply deadlines. Trusses packages are ordered with no extra parts then dropped off either with large rolloffs or dumped off in a banded together bundle. It is common for packages to get damaged or contain a truss that may have damage. These discoveries often can't be known till the framing crew is assembling the roof. The project can't be stopped because of a damaged truss. The crew actually did the right thing in using the truss with the Knot broken truss as a sister to another. No high volume truss company is going to stop production to produce one truss and run it out to a job while crews are waiting. The priority at this time is to get the structure dried in. Much more damage can be sustained waiting for a single truss to be reproduced then just going on and finishing the job. All truss companies I've ever used are responsible for repairs and the have their own engineers and repair technicians. Lumber has flaws and fractures happen its common. That guy, in my opinion is playing on the ignorance of the novice. He should know better or is a dipshit.
I've seen trusses dropped in swales full of water before the block is even on site. All gray and warped when they unband them.

MG0h3

Established Member
If PHX is like every other SW city, the crew is drinking beer at 0630.

When I lived in SoCal, I went in the attic to run wire and install can for recessed lighting.

Must’ve pulled 12 24packs of beer with the crushed cans in them.

Total shit builds.

Same shit in El Paso. They’re all lined up at the gas stations buying beer every morning. Watched them throwing empties into the foundation while they were pouring concrete at 0800.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
My biggest gripe is people bitching about contractors running up the cost of housing, when it is local building code enforcement that is actually running up the cost. I've been building long enough to remember when we didn't have foundations that you could build the empire state building on, metal connections on every piece of framing, non arch fault breakers that worked, no UL requirements for plumbing and electric fixtures, oil base paints and stains, window U factors requirements so low that only the most high end companies can comply. The big corporate companies like Simpson, Seimens, Eaton, Kohler, Delta, etc. all pay off the building departments to enforce codes that only companies as big as them can comply. As contractors, we are then forced to accept the codes and pass on the expense to the customer for your protection. We then have to kiss some inspectors ass that has only read a book and has no understanding of actual building. Then try explaining to people, that think the building department is there to protect them from the bad contractors, that the building department is actually the one ****ing them. Guess what, if the building department misses something in the inspection, you don't get to sue the building department, but you get to pay for all of the expensive needless shit that the building department forced on you. When you really break it down, the building department is just like the mob. Everyone complains that no one is building low cost housing, but it isn't that people don't want to build it, it is impossible to build low cost anymore. The amount of ****ing paperwork is now is just insane. If I wanted this much reading and paperwork I would have went to law school. All that wasted time and cost is passed onto the consumer.

Almost forgot, the insurance that I am required to carry by the building department, now requires me to get a signed subcontractor agreement with every sub before I can hire them. I just had my attorney draw up the standard agreement, and every person I hire wants to have a ****ing legal argument about whats in it. I've had to tell people if you want it changed to your liking, you are more than welcome to pay my attorney $500 an hour to make it agreeable.

On average, how much do you make per house?

Just curious. When I built my previous house contractors made around $50-$60K per house and the going rate was $90-$120 per sq ft. I found a builder that openly shared his goal was to make $12K per house. My house came out to ~$63 per sq ft. He made $8600 on my house and I had ~$50K of instant equity.

A different contractor that I was considering using bragged to me that he had a house that was slow to sell at $350K so he raised the price to $425K and it sold within a week. He made ~$125K on that spec build.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
When I came into work today HR was standing at the door handing out roses to women. There is a woman of the month that flashes across TV screens ever 30 feet. Is there a MAN of the month? No. When I send an email to HR about that they don't even care to reply. A place where 95% of the workforce is MEN that are the SKILLED LABOR and 50% of the UNSKILLED labor are MEN. So they either don't care about the MEN or feel the WOMEN are inferior and need to cater to their feelings. For the record I care less to be recognized but I work with some incredibly talented men here that should be.

HOOKERS.

tistan

Established Member
On average, how much do you make per house?

Just curious. When I built my previous house contractors made around $50-$60K per house and the going rate was $90-$120 per sq ft. I found a builder that openly shared his goal was to make $12K per house. My house came out to ~$63 per sq ft. He made $8600 on my house and I had ~$50K of instant equity.

A different contractor that I was considering using bragged to me that he had a house that was slow to sell at $350K so he raised the price to $425K and it sold within a week. He made ~$125K on that spec build.
$90-120sqft must have been some time ago. Right now I tell people builds start at $250sqft, but realistically I'm not even sure I can build for that anymore. Labor is just crazy expensive right now. I build custom so I charge 18-22% before expenses. After all my expenses, I probably clear around 14-15%.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
$90-120sqft must have been some time ago. Right now I tell people builds start at $250sqft, but realistically I'm not even sure I can build for that anymore. Labor is just crazy expensive right now. I build custom so I charge 18-22% before expenses. After all my expenses, I probably clear around 14-15%.

I built my previous house in 2004. Cripes, that's 20 years ago already. I designed my own house, had an architect draw up the plans and then went shopping for a contractor.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
When I came into work today HR was standing at the door handing out roses to women. There is a woman of the month that flashes across TV screens ever 30 feet. Is there a MAN of the month? No. When I send an email to HR about that they don't even care to reply. A place where 95% of the workforce is MEN that are the SKILLED LABOR and 50% of the UNSKILLED labor are MEN. So they either don't care about the MEN or feel the WOMEN are inferior and need to cater to their feelings. For the record I care less to be recognized but I work with some incredibly talented men here that should be.

HOOKERS.

We have an employee spotlight every month that “ shows off and introduces” 3 people a month to the company. In my branch is about 250 people.

Been a long long time since a white guy has been picked ….

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, most people that live like oxygen. This push for a such a sealed home is stupid.

People build 3500 (or bigger) square foot homes, and they're worried about too much air leaking through to save energy?

People want cheap housing of yesterday but forget that the average home size 40 years ago was almost half of what people want now.

I own a small 900 ft2 ranch home. 3 bedroom/1 bath, attached carport on a 1/4 acre of land. The small homes are definitely harder to come by these days. The ranch next to me sold last year for $595k. I don't know how people can even afford a home these days.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
$150 sq.ft price will hardly get a detached garage built. The last two homes we built were over $1000 a sq.ft. for the home itself, less the pool, solar array, irrigation, landscaping, fencing, greenhouse, hell, the hardscape around the house is 200k.. The customers are flipping the bill for the orchard and fenced garden that will be around 400k.

MG0h3

Established Member
$150 sq.ft price will hardly get a detached garage built. The last two homes we built were over $1000 a sq.ft. for the home itself, less the pool, solar array, irrigation, landscaping, fencing, greenhouse, hell, the hardscape around the house is 200k.. The customers are flipping the bill for the orchard and fenced garden that will be around 400k.

White privilege for the win!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I sold this job yesterday to a customer that requested the garage match the existing house with the possibility of a future living quarters upstairs. It's at $150sqft excluding the new electric service fro the power company.
garage1_240308_092435.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's easy to live in America....if you're an ILLEGAL. Maybe that will change soon.

Users who are viewing this thread