RPM limit?

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
Anyone know what is a safe RPM rev limit for 2011 5.0 with 2.3 whipple? I feel like I shift a little too early but, at the same time I do not want to beat on the car. thanks!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Shift at what rpm you feel ok with. Also ask your tuner what rpm he thinks is best for u to shift at.

jbs$

Established Member
4vFTW, if your pocket is deep enough, don't worry about the limiter, otherwise, it would be a good idea to take good advise.

twistedneck

Established Member
oil pump gears get toasted with high rpm, or a lot of boost, or a combination of the two, or bouncing off the limiter. early on the 4.6 guys were fracturing gears through the traps with supercharged engines. that was fixed on the early fordracing stuff. This is what I was told. also, some very smart folks told me that oil pump gear upgrades were not a waste of money on a coyote.

10psi was too much when they were testing a bone stock block on the lund twin tubo car. not sure what rpm.

pure na, there was at least one (rumor) oil pump gear fail on a boss wc car.. 7600 rpm all race....

4VFTW

Established Member
4vFTW, if your pocket is deep enough, don't worry about the limiter, otherwise, it would be a good idea to take good advise.
I am planning on going TVS 2.3 once I can save some money. I had just never heard anyone say to keep the rpm so low with a blower and wanted some insight.

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
Here is a smart answer.
1st- dyno the car
2nd- look at the graph for peak number and associate that with rpm
3rd- shift it at said rpm fall off.

If boss intake shift at 7k due to no fall off.

Last edited by a moderator:

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
Dont want to run it past 7k with the blower i have my shift light set at 6700

I read a quote on kenne bells website years ago. he stated even on a 03/04 cobra he recommended shifting at 6000 rather than 7000. KB said it increases the load on the rod/rod bolts 500 times or something like that. This has always stuck in my head, so I shift alittle early as well...

Users who are viewing this thread