Royal Purple SynchroMax

Wildman113

Established Member
Just picked up an '04 Cobra a few weeks ago and I'd like to share my experience with switching to Synchromax trans fluid. Haven't put too many miles on it, but I did notice the shifts were very notchy and it didn't always go into gear as smoothly as I'd like. The previous owner had installed GM Synchromesh, which many people seem to like on here and on other forums.

As we all know, the T56 was designed for ATF. Being a proponent of using the correct fluid, I would always reccommend Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. When I rebuild the T56 in my other car, thats what I used to refill it with. However, when I found out that RP Synchromax is specifically designed to replace transmissions that spec ATF from the factory, I decided to give it a try, especially since ATF seems way too thin for these transmissions once they get warm.

For anyone thinking about switching to Synchromax, I would highy reccommend it. It made my other T56 equipped car shift much better, and it did the same for the Cobra. It goes into gear much easier, shifts are smoother and less notchy, and the trans is now much, much quieter after switching from standard synchromesh to RP Synchromax synthetic.

If you would like to purchase it at your local auto parts store, many can order it in under the Royal Purple part number, which is 01512. You will need a total of 4 quarts, but the trans will only take approximately 3.9 qts to fill.

silver93

Established Member
good deal bro i got my trans out my car right now changing the tob and i was wondering what to go with. ima give a try.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I put in pennzoil synchromesh this spring, although it's better than the standard atf I still expected better results. Next I'll either try the rp or amsoil atf.

Users who are viewing this thread