roush upper arm noise

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
a while back i had a roush anti wheel hop upper control arm installed. havent driven the car much since but there are some audible clicks that come from the rear end now. i bought this item because it isnt suppose to add any nvh and i was wondering if any of you have had the same experience? it stopped the wheelhop 100% so that part is good. thanks in advance for some insight on this

svt1111

Established Member
Hmm, I was considering this item for the exact same reason? Curious now.......

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
How many miles have you driven the car since the change?
Was the Roush upper the only change done?
When did it start "clicking"? Immediately after the change or sometime thereafter?
When does it make this "clicking" sound? Acceleration, deceleration, when you hit a bump...? Is it just one click and then it is gone or is it constant?

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Its a Roush upper control arm and they all help in stopping wheel hop. I wouldnt actually call it a Roush Anti Wheel hop upper device... rofl
When you go from soft rubber to the poly ends its going to add a little noise, there is no way around that. Did you also install a new upper mount or just the control arm?

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
roush calls it a "ford mustang wheel hop reduction kit" on their site. it is a complete upper arm and bracket assembly. probably about 500 miles since install. pulled the back seat today and checked the front bolt, it was tight. didnt have the time to get it on a rack and check the other ones but this kit comes with new bolts with locktite on them. the noise happens when taking off, not every time however. just an annoying click from the rear area. after the install there was some more noise than before but this click is new.im also going to look elsewhere when im under it such as exhaust, ect. ill let you all know when i find it

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Ever since I Did my bmr adjustable uca I might hear a clunk every now and then but it def increased the noise.

No clicks

last time I had clicks/clunks it was in the front. Turned out to be a loose front sway bar end link.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Is the Roush Adjustable?
I havent looked at it myself as I to have the full BMR setup. Just wondering because a friend of mine has an adjustable and it came loose and got all out of adjustment. His springs were rubbing in the upper mount area to the point they wore the paint off of the spring and body. the bump stops were out of the angle and hitting the side area. Its hard to describe but it wasn't pretty and he mainly heard it when he hit a bump. We got back under it realigned it and then put loctite on the adjuster and torqued the hell out of the jam nuts.

roush calls it a "ford mustang wheel hop reduction kit" on their site. it is a complete upper arm and bracket assembly. probably about 500 miles since install. pulled the back seat today and checked the front bolt, it was tight. didnt have the time to get it on a rack and check the other ones but this kit comes with new bolts with locktite on them. the noise happens when taking off, not every time however. just an annoying click from the rear area. after the install there was some more noise than before but this click is new.im also going to look elsewhere when im under it such as exhaust, ect. ill let you all know when i find it

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
The bushing in the Roush UCA is not poly, but rubber. And it is non adjustable. I have a clunk/bump when I make a right hand turn on a slight incline. But, I also have BMR lowers. I checked the torque on the BMRs and it is on the money. Haven't checked the Roush since the install.

It was difficult to get a proper torque reading on the Roush where it attaches to the axle, due to its position. Basically we just cranked it down with the impact, so who knows?

Also, the Roush is initially set up for a Mustang GT and needs to have it's bushing re-torqued to GT500 ride height or, according to the instructions, it may experience "dramatically" shortened bushing life. But, I doubt that means 500 miles.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i read the ride height warning in the instructions. when the rear end was raised in place the bushing lined up almost perfect so we didnt think it needed any retorque because of ride height. we had the same experience with the attaching point to the rear axle, just tighten the h### out of it. shaker, did you retorque your bushing or did it line up?

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
should be no noises!

Remove your back seat and check to see if they left a bolt or nut or 2 back there, that is what happened to me and I had the same sound as you!

A click on accel and decel

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
i read the ride height warning in the instructions. when the rear end was raised in place the bushing lined up almost perfect so we didnt think it needed any retorque because of ride height. we had the same experience with the attaching point to the rear axle, just tighten the h### out of it. shaker, did you retorque your bushing or did it line up?

I did not re-torque. I compared the two pieces side by side and there was a difference of about 1/2". So, I marked the shock boots and installed the Roush. After I test drove the car, I parked and checked the markings. It was dead on. So, I think it is OK. After all, the original piece had 10K miles on it and I figure the bushing would "settle" in, given the minimal difference.

chuckstang

Established Member
by the way my tech tq'd the shit outa it. I was not happy at first since I gave him the specs but I have no noise and zero hop under any conditions

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
Check the bolts they can loosen which causes the clicking noise.

just got the car fixed at the ford dealer. this was it! the front bolts that come up from the bottom on the front bracket were not flush. they were tight but not tight enough. the car is noise free now again. thanks :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread