Roush TVS R2300 Options for Noob

Mike50

Established Member
I own a 2011 GT, and I recently had a Roush TVS installed. This is my third Mustang, but it's the first time I've pushed performance beyond stock.

Please bear with me, but I am just a little confused about some things. The main reason I went the Roush route was due to warranty concerns and because everyone knows and trusts them.

Now that so many people have pushed their 5.0's beyond even the 540HP Roush set up and tune, I am feeling a lot more comfortable about voiding my warranty and getting more out of my blower. I already dumped well over $6K into it, and if another small fraction of that cost could be spent again to get significantly better performance, then I am definitely interested!

The problem is that I don't know how to go about it. I am not a mechanic. The most advanced thing I've done to a car is to change the brake pads. Other than fluids, I have never done anything under the hood.

So what are my options for pushing my car to the next level? With the Roush TVS already installed, can I get noticeably better performance with a simple tune? Is it as simple as contacting someone like VMP or JDM and buying a handheld tuner with a tune from them? How difficult is it to change the pulley to a smaller one? What tools are required?

I just want to understand what my options are. Thanks for any advice. I really love my car! By the way, the only other relevant mod I have done to my car is a set of Borla S-Type axle-backs.

BV600

Established Member
Ive never changed a pulley but It cant be hard. Id say pulley maybe jlt intake and a VMP Tune. Should be really easy.

Edit**BeatDik you beat me to it

JerryC

Established Member
I own a 2011 GT, and I recently had a Roush TVS installed. This is my third Mustang, but it's the first time I've pushed performance beyond stock.

Please bear with me, but I am just a little confused about some things. The main reason I went the Roush route was due to warranty concerns and because everyone knows and trusts them.

Now that so many people have pushed their 5.0's beyond even the 540HP Roush set up and tune, I am feeling a lot more comfortable about voiding my warranty and getting more out of my blower. I already dumped well over $6K into it, and if another small fraction of that cost could be spent again to get significantly better performance, then I am definitely interested!

The problem is that I don't know how to go about it. I am not a mechanic. The most advanced thing I've done to a car is to change the brake pads. Other than fluids, I have never done anything under the hood.

So what are my options for pushing my car to the next level? With the Roush TVS already installed, can I get noticeably better performance with a simple tune? Is it as simple as contacting someone like VMP or JDM and buying a handheld tuner with a tune from them? How difficult is it to change the pulley to a smaller one? What tools are required?

I just want to understand what my options are. Thanks for any advice. I really love my car! By the way, the only other relevant mod I have done to my car is a set of Borla S-Type axle-backs.

Yep, contact Justin at VMP and get a tuner and a tune from him.
From there you look at getting a smaller pulley, and/or a CAI like the JLT Big Air intake. Both are easy to do yourself upgrades. You can change a pulley in 5 minutes, I have not tried a CAI so I cant say how long that would take but less than an hour I presume.

If you've done a brake job, Pulley and CAI are going to be easy. Loading a tune is as simple as following the directions on the screen.

Bud

Established Member
The extra power and tq of the smaller pulley combined with a tune should make you plenty happy. The pulley change is a 5 minute job, hopefully your current belt will be good with the smaller pulley. I believe quite a few people are running the 82mm with the stock belt.

98ss88mm

Established Member
you may not even need a pulley, a JLT and real tune would be a huge kick in the pants from where you are now

might need a BAP if you throw a real pulley on there... but 620rwhp is fun! I bet that JLT car is a blast to drive...

Last edited:

Mike50

Established Member
you may not even need a pulley, a JLT and real tune would be a huge kick in the pants from where you are now

might need a BAP if you throw a real pulley on there... but 620rwhp is fun! I bet that JLT car is a blast to drive...

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It looks like a consensus so far...82mm pulley, JLT intake, and a VMP tune? I assume that I would need to have VMP send a tune that takes into account the pulley size and the intake? An axle-back exhaust wouldn't affect anything regarding the tune, would it? Also, does the tune remove the skip shift and the speed limiter? Would it increase the redline? I was told by Roush that their tune raised the redline to 7,200.

What kind of improvement would this make to my current setup? Is 82mm the smallest pulley I should go to without needing to make other modifications? I assume this would get me to well over 500WHP?

This car is my weekend warrior, so I am not trying to set any quarter mile records. It's already a blast to drive. I am just trying to maximize my investment with the blower. I also don't want to make the car too harsh to drive.

What tools would I need to change the pulley? Don't I need something to release the tension on the belt? It looks like the CAI is pretty simple to install, and I am not worried about loading the tune based on everything I've read about it. I have a much more mechanically inclined friend who would probably love to help with this. It might cost me an extra $20 for beer, though.

I know I probably sound like a dumbass. I can see why so many people get addicted to modding their cars. Can VMP supply everything I need for this or would I need to get the intake from somewhere else? It looks like I can do this for well under $1,000?

Turbosixx

Established Member
From my experience I'd go with the 82mm pulley and VMP tune. Keep the stock airbox. This set up will be more than enough to keep you busy. I've gone 10.60's @ over 130 mph on an otherwise stock auto GT.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
From my experience I'd go with the 82mm pulley and VMP tune. Keep the stock airbox. This set up will be more than enough to keep you busy. I've gone 10.60's @ over 130 mph on an otherwise stock auto GT.

i like your idea. sounds like the best way to go. seems the fasted 5.0 are still running the stock air box with a drop in like K&N

JerryC

Established Member
I've got the 82mm on my car, no CAI. 524hp/497tq at the wheels. CAI should add ~30+hp. Mine is an auto, you're going to see more than that.

You need a 1/2 ratchet and 17mm socket for the tensioner nut and small ratchet and 8mm socket for the pulley bolts. I put a dab of blue loctite on the pulley bolts.

Going from memory;
Put the 1/2 ratchet on the tensioner and push clockwise to get slack in the belt, slide the belt off the pulley. Undo the pulley bolts and slide it off, slide the new pulley on and finger tighten the bolts. Put the 1/2 ratchet on the tensioner and push clockwise to get slack in the belt, slide the belt over the pulley and finally tighten the pulley bolts.

I've been told the stock belt will work with pulleys as small as 79mm.

Last edited:

Mike50

Established Member

If I decided later that I wanted to add the CAI, would I need to pay for another tune from VMP?

Is it really as simple to replace a pulley as JerryC describes? It sounds like a fifteen minute job.

Can someone answer my other questions about the tune? Would it eliminate skip shift and top speed limiter? Would it increase the redline beyond 7K?

I really do appreciate all the responses. I would never have attempted the blower install myself, but taking it to the next level doesn't sound like it's going to be much more effort or money. Thanks!

JerryC

Established Member
Going from memory;
Put the 1/2 ratchet on the tensioner and push clockwise to get slack in the belt, slide the belt off the pulley. Undo the pulley bolts and slide it off, slide the new pulley on and finger tighten the bolts. Put the 1/2 ratchet on the tensioner and push clockwise to get slack in the belt, slide the belt over the pulley and finally tighten the pulley bolts.

Realized I missed the first step.
Loosen the pulley bolts before taking the belt off.

D.T.R

Established Member
TS, never done this stuff on a 5.0 ... but it's plenty simple. I wouldn't even worry about it too much... once you do it once... you'll realize how simple it is.

Mike50

Established Member
The pulley install literally takes me 2 mins at the most.
I think you should contact Justin at VMP to answer all of your tuning questions. He has everything you need to get you going.
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing
I contacted Justin earlier today by email and explained my situation. If I understand his response correctly, he is recommending a 79mm pulley and tune as my best option without having to upgrade or replace anything else.

Justin wrote this in the VMP Tuning subforum (Smaller VMP pulleys for 2011-2012 Roush 5.0L) on this site:
If you are running an open element GT500 style air intake the boost will go up by about 2psi with the larger pulleys, and even more with the smaller pulleys. You have to watch out as this will quickly max the fuel system. I prefer to just pulley the cars down rather than install an open intake until you do fuel upgrades, as this allows you to reap low end TQ and HP benefits, rather than just peak HP benefits.​

So basically, best bang for the buck is to skip the CAI upgrade and just go to a 79mm pulley? This would yield better overall performance than to go with an 82mm pulley and CAI upgrade? And to go with the CAI upgrade and pulley smaller than the 82mm would require the injectors to be replaced at a minimum?

Also, what happens when you "max out" the injectors? Does that cause damage, or does it just cause you to hit a limit on power?

Users who are viewing this thread