Roush Phase 3 on 2011 GT manual, power output low... help!

dsmith658

Where's all my money??
Established Member
This is right in line with what I put down on a mustang dyno with roush phase 3.

RJ13GT

Established Member
This was on a Dyno Jet, which usually read high. I'm waiting to hear from Roush before I do anything silly (injectors, VMP tune).

Now your talking! You are gonna be suprised with the difference when you put a refined calibration on that thing.

nate-roth

Established Member
Your dyno numbers sound about right for the Roush tune. The Roush tune is very conservative and the part throttle is really soft. The VMP tune will make the car feel much, much better especially at part throttle. Ive seen the tables on the Roush Phase 3 tune and they are very, very soft compared to what VMP, AED, Lund, BBR, etc. would have.

hand-filer

Established Member
Thanks to recently bricked iTSX programmer I'm driving around with the Roush Phase 2 tune now rather than the JDM tune I had installed prior. Compared to the custom tune the Roush tune feels lethargic.
Roush tune: breaks the tires loose in third some of the time.
JDM tune: breaks the tires loose in 4th most of the time.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Op... there is nothing wrong with your parts. Man up and get a real tune. Lund, aed, vmp all can look at your data logs and tell you what the problem is if you have one. All the same day too no waiting like you're waiting on Roush. I don't understand what's so hard about that. You've been told numerous times your tune is shit.

RJ13GT

Established Member
Op... there is nothing wrong with your parts. Man up and get a real tune. Lund, aed, vmp all can look at your data logs and tell you what the problem is if you have one. All the same day too no waiting like you're waiting on Roush. I don't understand what's so hard about that. You've been told numerous times your tune is shit.
Yep and if you find a problem with a part while tuning. I dont see a reason why Roush wouldn't make it right.

HOOT12

Established Member
1 vote for AED tune here. But the ones mentioned above are all respectable in the industry. Just don't stray to far away from those 3. I had very similar situation as u and a few hundred bucks later and a tune from AED, I know have an animal of car. I promise u will not regret one second of a real tune. Listen to the folks that have been through the pain.

hand-filer

Established Member
1 vote for AED tune here. But the ones mentioned above are all respectable in the industry. Just don't stray to far away from those 3. I had very similar situation as u and a few hundred bucks later and a tune from AED, I know have an animal of car. I promise u will not regret one second of a real tune. Listen to the folks that have been through the pain.

You're selling several excellent tuners short with that statement.

nate-roth

Established Member
You're selling several excellent tuners short with that statement.

I agree totally with this, there are a bunch of good tuners out there, I would add Chris Jones at BBR and Monty Johnson at JMS to that list to name a few. Honestly man, I think once you get a good, throttle responsive tune you are going to regret all the worrying and wasting of time with emailing Roush, etc. Bottom line - Roush makes a good blower kit but the tune is so, so conservative. And it's just not dyno numbers, its the brutally soft part throttle, it just takes all the fun out of the car. The real benefit to a PD blown car is not WOT throttle everywhere you go, but how much fun the car is at throttle ranges.

Just because you data log a car and the fuel trims are good to go and it isn't knocking does not mean it's a good tune. Driveability, throttle response the way you want the car to be, and good safe wot power levels are what make a good tune. Trust me the Roush tune does none of the above very well. Really it should be viewed as a tune to start the car, drive it around for a bit to check mechanicals, do some base data logs and send those data logs to a tuner who will actually make the car run the way it should, the way you were hoping for when you spent your $6-7K to buy the blower the kit.

cheeseclock

Established Member
I had the opportunity to take it to US131 in Martin, MI over the weekend. I ran a best of 12.1@115. Here's the interesting thing. With the Steeda intake and tune I had previously installed, the car ran 12.6@115. This blows my mind. My trap speed should have changed! Both runs had a 2.0 60' (street tires). Both runs had me at 90 mph at the 1/8 mile mark. I have a camping trip this week, so it'll be next week before I get to tuning this thing.

cheeseclock

Established Member
If I have time in the morning, I'm going to pull the blower and make sure the bypass valve is closing fully. Something is wrong here and it's not just the tune.

cjd223

Established Member
Are you showing -knock? If so the computer will add timing = good thing. + knock pulls timing back = bad thing. I suspect the bypass valve also.

cheeseclock

Established Member
The PCM is adding 1-1.5* of timing on top of the 15* commanded. Roush refuses to answer me at this point. I'm not sure why. I didn't have time to do so, but hopefully I'll have the chance to pull the blower off tomorrow morning.

cheeseclock

Established Member
Meanwhile, lets put a face with a name...

11073058_934418393289217_7781189822877342729_n.jpg

10982198_934418206622569_7114632243339581990_n.jpg

10454317_934418249955898_4344678635525589770_n.jpg

11050117_934418166622573_5178790310396870547_n.jpg

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Very Nice!

Is that a Michigan plate? If so, take the car to Lidio at Alternative Auto... The Roush TVS is his specialty right now. He did my install and does all my tuning.

cjd223

Established Member
Scott, the 79mm pulley does help. Guessing it added 20 hp. Cat delete pipes should add another 10 hp. Cheese, you should be trapping close to 100 mph in the 1/8.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread