Roush bumper idea

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
So, this will probably go over like a wet fart in church, but I'm curious to the varying opinions.

What do you guys think of the Roush bumper for my Cobra instead of the factory OEM bumper?

England has not been good to my OEM Cobra bumper. During shipping the bumper got cracked at the very bottom center portion. So, it's been repaired and the British painter didn't do a great job. Then, the other day, while trying to get the car on a lift, the wood transition piece broke and ripped the bumper off its mount. So, I will be looking for a new bumper in a year or two. Also, I think it's more aggressive and I like how it's closer to the road surface, because I was to run a splitter and full under tray on the car. I will have to extend the side skirts to match as well.

239cba4cb8067579d908b554f7fb94c9.jpg

95d034d6a9bc128ec04ad9e69e0bfb18.jpg

Here it is photoshopped onto my car:

0ed0a58235b3bf655266bbe43b15b088.jpg

I would make some custom sideskirts that would lower them to match the Roush bumper. I even toyed with the idea of doing a side exhaust too. Maybe I could have them fabbed from carbon fiber, then paint all but a section around the exhaust tip, similar to the new Viper.

94ea540805ee001de91ca8506f9ec3a6.jpg

Picture of damage to the factory bumper cover

8ed06085d38c52003c9bda07275b4f1b.jpg

Here I sketched out some front splitter and side skirt ideas.

54f4af652b87cdad313e22f32697893a.jpg

01f6c256a21142634530eba3a128434e.jpg

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't really like it. I say leave it as is.

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
I would look for a better body shop and fix the bumper. I don't think that Roush bumper looks more aggressive, actually I think the stock look of the 03-04 Cobra looks the most aggressive for this generation of Mustangs. I might be biased, but the stock lines just fatten up the new edge look and fits the personality of these cars perfectly.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I like different it makes you stand out. I think with the right combination of the color black and the right wheels the car would look great. You really have to plan and sketch the whole thing out a little more than u have so fair. I though about the front splitter as well but it would look like crap on the factory bumper.
Just make sure it comes out more aggressive looking than stock and people won't hate on it as much. Most of it is u touched a nice stock screaming yellow coupe.
Keep us posted of any progress on the build.
I would love to see the process of fabing your own body kit

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
If you do the Roush bumper you will have about an 1 1/2 inch gap between the stock hood and the grill. Just an fyi

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
I like different it makes you stand out. I think with the right combination of the color black and the right wheels the car would look great. You really have to plan and sketch the whole thing out a little more than u have so fair. I though about the front splitter as well but it would look like crap on the factory bumper.
Just make sure it comes out more aggressive looking than stock and people won't hate on it as much. Most of it is u touched a nice stock screaming yellow coupe.
Keep us posted of any progress on the build.
I would love to see the process of fabing your own body kit

I have a buddy of mine who is an automotive designer sketching out the side skirts and trying to incorporate the Roush style into them as well. We will see what he comes up with :banana:

If you do the Roush bumper you will have about an 1 1/2 inch gap between the stock hood and the grill. Just an fyi

Appreciate the heads up. Someone else mentioned it on FB and said that the Cervinis hood fixes that problem. I will have to look into it.

The front bumper is what makes the Terminator. Leave it or be shunned to ricer purgatory

#RicerPurgatory lol :D

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
Not a fan, Cobra bumpers are the best option for these cars. Second would be the saleen kit. For me at least.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Appreciate the heads up. Someone else mentioned it on FB and said that the Cervinis hood fixes that problem. I will have to look into it.

It does. They are 700 i think when i was looking. I have the whole Roush kit on my 01 (03-04 cobra spoiler, mirrors and side scoops as well)

Just haven't pulled the trigger on the hood yet. Cervini's quality is supposed to be good.

BoydRoush

Leave it alone. Here's the problem. I have a Roush and I had to go with 19 inch wheels because the Roush front bumper comes down so low that you need larger wheels to fill the wheel well. I wanted 18's but they look to small with the Roush bumper. If you already have 18"s you won't like the Roush bumper. You will need to lower the front of your car with 18's to get the right stance but then you'll Crack your bumper everywhere u go. The cobra bumper is nicely rounded and matches the curves of the spoiler and hood. I'd put the vibra bumper on my car but it doesn't match my skirts and spoiler.

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
Leave it alone. Here's the problem. I have a Roush and I had to go with 19 inch wheels because the Roush front bumper comes down so low that you need larger wheels to fill the wheel well. I wanted 18's but they look to small with the Roush bumper. If you already have 18"s you won't like the Roush bumper. You will need to lower the front of your car with 18's to get the right stance but then you'll Crack your bumper everywhere u go. The cobra bumper is nicely rounded and matches the curves of the spoiler and hood. I'd put the vibra bumper on my car but it doesn't match my skirts and spoiler.

d894defdbd2a225c114526d3b2313361.jpg

c33e65782fbd0df19efdb34e00418680.jpg

The height difference has already crossed my mind. Here is the Roush bumper and cobra bumper measurements. As you can see, the Cobra bumper is 12 inches with another two for the chin spoiler and the Roush bumper is a little under 16 inches.

I personally don't think the wheel well is made to look so much larger that it requires a 19" wheel. Sidebar: 19's crossed my mind so I can stuff a 15" brake rotor under them, but the unsprung weight would be too much of a negative factor for me.

549ca8e37f0b0e1584b8eb24fd371333.jpg

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
Imho, the front bumper gives the terminator its signature look. I've always hated the Roush kits. They look overly cheesy ( almost like these rice'd out Hondas with their body kits). Whenever I see a Roush kit ( mostly on GT's), it seems like it's not even meant to fit the car it's on.

But hey, always do you. A car should mimic your personal style and tastes. Plenty of people may hate it, but plenty of others will love it I'm sure

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
I personally couldn't change my front bumper, but I actually love the roush front bumper. If I had a gt I would definitely get the roush body kit.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I have a roush on my Mach but it did come stock with a GT bumper. I like it but after hitting a run away tire on the freeway im debating on switching it up to a cobra jus for a change up.

Users who are viewing this thread