Rough/Surging Idle

RJCobra

Established Member
Here is a video of my idle problem. Already cleaned the MAF and IAC. Plugs are relatively new and have been smooth until just recently. No check engine light. Its not so much a rough idle as a surge up and down.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_HjVKS-tbg"]Idle - YouTube[/nomedia]

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Mine is doing something very similar although it doesn't surge up and down as fast as yours is. Mine also dies when I come to a stop when the engine is cold. I just ordered a new IAC, which should be here tomorrow or Thursday and I hope that cures it. Let me know what works for you and I'll do the same.:beer:

kachup

Established Member
my car was running perfect then it die on me at a red light to drive it home i had to keep it on high rpm if not it would of turn off..

but i ordered my IAC also should be here tomorrow and hopefully thats the problem cleaning the IAC wont help if is broken you cant clean it or anything just replace it for a new one

RJCobra

Established Member
Mine is doing something very similar although it doesn't surge up and down as fast as yours is. Mine also dies when I come to a stop when the engine is cold. I just ordered a new IAC, which should be here tomorrow or Thursday and I hope that cures it. Let me know what works for you and I'll do the same.:beer:

A new IAC was the next thing i was going to try. Was it a Motorcraft tat you ordered?

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
A new IAC was the next thing i was going to try. Was it a Motorcraft tat you ordered?

Yeah, it was a Motorcraft part (PN: CX-1862). I got it from Tousley Ford for about 50% less than what they wanted at the local dealer. You should give them a shot.

RJCobra

Established Member
Yeah, it was a Motorcraft part (PN: CX-1862). I got it from Tousley Ford for about 50% less than what they wanted at the local dealer. You should give them a shot.

Is it the same as "idle speed control" on the Tousley website?
Let me know if it fixes your problem.
mine has started stalling now while idling sometimes

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Is it the same as "idle speed control" on the Tousley website?
Let me know if it fixes your problem.
mine has started stalling now while idling sometimes

Select your model of vehicle and then search for the part number listed above. The price was $72.55.

You may not want to waste your money though. I got mine yesterday and installed it immediately. I turned the key hoping that it would settle into a nice idle...no dice, same shit and it still stalls in the morning before it gets up to operating temperature. Now I'm thinking bad MAF or a vacuum leak, but I hate chasing gremlins around the engine bay and throwing parts at a problem.

Anybody have any suggestions for RJ and I?

RJCobra

Established Member
I'm embarrassed.

I also put on a new IAC valve. No improvement. I gave up and took it to my mechanic, who is a certified SVT tech. I thought I had checked all the hoses well. Turns out there was a hole the size of a ballpoint pen in one of the small PCV elbow hoses. Not easy to see but I still should have. Replaced the hose and reprogrammed the IAC, now it idles smoother than when it was new.

Users who are viewing this thread