Roommate putting an LS1 motor in 3rd gen RX7

jshen

Established Member
Nice addition but I would think the drive shaft and rear end needs to be beefed up quite a bit. I had a friend put that motor in an old Datsun 260Z and he blew shaft and rear end first week he had it running.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
holy cats if it works I want to see numbers. That is going to be crazy now for the suspension issue. Will he be able to hook that monster.

RandomTask

Banned
He wont do well at the track, itll spin to hgih heaven on anything less than slicks.

From a roll though, very quick.

He should put a big cam in it since the motor is already out.

69DodgeCharger

Established Member
Hey, do you think you could have your roomate do me a favor??? I need the the distance measeured from strut tower to strut tower. I would really appreciate it! My next project is going to be a 3rd gen rx-7 with my old cobras built and blown 4.6 dohc in it. :D I just need to know how much cutting and fabricating I am going to have to do to get that motor to fit in that engine bay.

Sweet car BTW, there is one about 20miles from me with heads a cam.

Later

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
damn thats baddass. I've always wanted one of those mutant mostrosities. How is he planing to smog it in CA???
that RX7 is still one of the best handling cars out there, and the rotary is the one thing that turned me off. (too fragile, bad efficency, and not enough torque,) putting that powertrain in there would make it pretty much the perfect street machine. I bet it gets better gas milage with it too. :rockon:

Last edited:

69DodgeCharger

Established Member
Hey, do you think you could have your roomate do me a favor??? I need the the distance measeured from strut tower to strut tower. I would really appreciate it! My next project is going to be a 3rd gen rx-7 with my old cobras built and blown 4.6 dohc in it. :D I just need to know how much cutting and fabricating I am going to have to do to get that motor to fit in that engine bay.

Sweet car BTW, there is one about 20miles from me with heads a cam.

Later

69DodgeCharger

Established Member
Serpentor said:
damn thats baddass. I've always wanted one of those mutant mostrosities. How is he planing to smog it in CA???
that RX7 is still one of the best handling cars out there, and the rotary is the one thing that turned me off. (too fragile, bad efficency, and not enought torque,) putting an that powertrain in there would make it pretty much the perfect street machine.

You can legaly make that car pass SMOG. If I remember correctly you just have to have it inspected. The motor just needs to be the same year as the car or newer. My friend had a toyota truck for offroading and he put a ls1 in it, and it passed smog no problem.

Matt-'00GT

Established Member
69DodgeCharger said:
Hey, do you think you could have your roomate do me a favor??? I need the the distance measeured from strut tower to strut tower.

31" between the strut towers. 28" between the frame rails.

Matt-'00GT

Established Member
Serpentor said:
that RX7 is still one of the best handling cars out there, and the rotary is the one thing that turned me off. (too fragile, bad efficency, and not enough torque,) putting that powertrain in there would make it pretty much the perfect street machine. I bet it gets better gas milage with it too. :rockon:

It will pass CA smog as long as the motor is in stock trim at time of inspection. (Fuel system, johnson rods, manifolds, etc..) The car wil then require Camaro spec smog checks from here out.

240_Bullitt

Ford Tech
Established Member
mazda guys like putting american v8s in their cars..the monster miata...5.0 miata and what would we call the ls1 rx7s?? sbs in small japanese cars=lots of fun

Matt-'00GT

Established Member
It's done!

IMG_3091.sized.jpg

IMG_3093.sized.jpg

IMG_3096.sized.jpg

IMG_3098.sized.jpg

The car is VERY fast!

Users who are viewing this thread