Roommate putting an LS1 motor in 3rd gen RX7

Matt-'00GT

Established Member
Thought some of you would enjoy these pictures...

RX7 motor -
2_G_001.jpg

Coming out -
123_2363.sized.jpg

LS1 w/ T56 -
123_2400_r1.sized.jpg

Dash removed for wiring harness modifications -
124_2438.sized.jpg

New dining room decor -
124_2441.sized.jpg

Painted the engine bay a flat/primer white, similar to nascar -
IMG_2594.sized.jpg

LS1 is in! -
IMG_2801.sized.jpg

Still has a lot of work to do before completion. Cooling system, suspension, etc.. He is working on the wiring right now.

Should be fairly quick at around 2800lbs w/ 350HP or so. You can view more pictures here... http://buckfang.com/gallery/album26

04torchred

Established Member
Does he have to run manifolds or build his own headers? Looks like a fun project, just needs to add a good shot of juice or vortech/procharger, would be crazy fast.

ls1marine

GO BIG
Established Member
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: now that is going to be one fast a$$ car.....i wish my car only waid 2700 pounds

97TURBOCOBRA

boost with no belt
Established Member
:rockon: there is a guy in huntsville al. building these kits now, he even offers them with turbo kits installed

osyl2us

Established Member
yeah that is a really nice combo alot of people are starting to do it. there is a guy on one of our local ls1 boards that did this swap and it has huge potential. I wish i could do something like this.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
osyl2us said:
yeah that is a really nice combo alot of people are starting to do it. there is a guy on one of our local ls1 boards that did this swap and it has huge potential. I wish i could do something like this.

absolutely. back when i was stock, i followed one of these cars for a couple of miles and finally caught a light with him. asked him what he had done, since the car sounded remarkably nice. when he said "ls1" i almost shit myself.
he then proceeded to smoke the shit out of me. i love the lines of that car, it looked absolutely badass. with v8 power, that car is unbelievable

Blown02

Established Member
i raced a rx7 with a ls1 and alot of nitrous when I had my novi 2k on the stock 2v gt motor. it either almost or actually did pull the wheels up on the 1-2 shift... it was the generation before this one though.. looked totally stock, with the little tailpipe and everything..

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Put a cam in it! I know a few guys with H/C vettes. Your buddy would destroy all with a cammed LS1 in that light car. Could you imagine pulling up next to an RX-7 with a loud lopey exhaust? Sweet car dude.

Users who are viewing this thread