Roll cage question

1slohawk

Established Member
if your going to pay someone to do it I defintly suggest rhodes. they have done all my chassis work so far on my car and I'm very happy with everything. I will be sending my car back for a 6 point before next track season. as for kits wolfe makes a really nice kit and if you go on ls1tech in the sale section I believe there having a sale on them. I believe 20% off if I remember correctly.

Mike

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
Wolfe makes a great kit. I have the 10pt in mine and it's awesome. You have to get used to climbing in and out over the door bars, and the back seat is nothing but decoration, but damn that cage stiffens the shit outta the car!!! My recommendation=Wolfe

BlackSunshine13

"The Princess"
Established Member
He wont mind climbing over the bars in his Cobra. When I need to get a 6 point for my Cobra I am going for the swingout door bars(I am too lazy to do all that work). Now the question I have that I keep getting hung up on is which cage do we need to get? According to the MACA time slips alot of mid 10 sec Cobra's are over the 135mph mark to need a full cage, I thought that was an 8 point but is it a 10 point?? This was going to be a Christmas Present for him but I decided that I cant pick this out for him there are too many factors going into this to mess it up. What so the kits look like when they come?? Is it just a bunch of tubes? I am definently going for the MM 6 point for myself when I need it, it just looks easier.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
He wont mind climbing over the bars in his Cobra. When I need to get a 6 point for my Cobra I am going for the swingout door bars(I am too lazy to do all that work). Now the question I have that I keep getting hung up on is which cage do we need to get? According to the MACA time slips alot of mid 10 sec Cobra's are over the 135mph mark to need a full cage, I thought that was an 8 point but is it a 10 point?? This was going to be a Christmas Present for him but I decided that I cant pick this out for him there are too many factors going into this to mess it up. What so the kits look like when they come?? Is it just a bunch of tubes? I am definently going for the MM 6 point for myself when I need it, it just looks easier.

8 point is legal to 9.99 or 135mph

10 point is leagalto i believe to 8.99
12 point i believe is 8.50

after that you need to have a 25.2 or higher

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
You have a shitload of options with the Wolfe Racecraft kits. You can get them in mild steel, chromoly, jig notched or not, and a lot more I can't think of right now. The thing I really liked about the Wolfe over the others was the jig notching and placement markings. It DOES come all wound up in saran wrap, just a bunch of tubes (too hard to ship otherwise), but everything is marked for ease of installation.

As far as what cage he NEEDS -

NHRA FAQs - When do I need a roll bar or roll cage, and what should it look like?

A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing.

If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing.

The roll cage of any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker, or 135 mph or faster, must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation.

NOW, a roll bar from my understanding is any 4, 6, or 8pt setup. A roll cage is 10pt and then you start getting into the 25.5s and all that shit he won't need. The difference between the BAR and the CAGE is the halo and the dash bars. I have the halo and the front running dash bars (had to cut my dash to get it in), which is a bit much for my setup now, but I NEVER want to have to mess with the cage again. EVER...

Hope it helps.....

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
8 point is legal to 9.99 or 135mph

10 point is leagalto i believe to 8.99
12 point i believe is 8.50

after that you need to have a 25.2 or higher

My 10 point cage with swing outs is NHRA certified to 8.50

A 12 or 14 point cage is usually just a 10 point cage with bars going to the torque boxes and/or front strut tower.

Spence Hart from Rhodes did mine but if your looking for a do-it-yourself kit, my vote goes to Wolfe. And yes, they always have a 20% off end of the year sale which usually includes their roll bar kits and cages.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
humm even onsale the wolfe piece is still 60 bucks more than the SW piece. Any reason behind that?

And I can drive up to get the SW, shipping from TX is probably going to be steep.

Users who are viewing this thread