Rolex Grand-Am 24hrs of Daytona

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
hey guys, don't forget to tune into the race this weekend! i got a job with michael shank racing in december, and i'll be there refueling the fuel rigs all night long(should end up being a 32-34hr day:sleeping:).

SPEED will begin their coverage at 3pm on saturday(29th) and run up till 10pm.
SPEED will pack back up at 9AM on sunday(30th) and continue all the way to the finish at 4PM.
look for our cars, the continental tire #6 prototype, crown royal XR #60 prototype, and the united autosports/johnny walker #23 prototype.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I'll be tuning in but sorry, I normally cheer on Micheal Shank in the DP class but my boys from Flying Lizard are in a DP this year so I have to back them. Good luck with the race.

Also, I like how the race is starting out, overall pole and new track record. :-D

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A friend of mine left yesterday for the race. He races himself (once with Nascar Busch Series), but not this one. Definitely a must-see on tv. :)

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I'll be tuning in but sorry, I normally cheer on Micheal Shank in the DP class but my boys from Flying Lizard are in a DP this year so I have to back them. Good luck with the race.

Also, I like how the race is starting out, overall pole and new track record. :-D

man. those guys do workn very first race in DP and they take pole. definitly expecting another close this year. the top 6 cars all beat the old track record

THE_STIG

Established Member
man. those guys do workn very first race in DP and they take pole. definitly expecting another close this year. the top 6 cars all beat the old track record

Well I really like both #76 Krohn Racing and #6 Micheal Shank for DP, in races like this you always have to have a couple cars you'd like to see win because 24 hours is extremely tough just to finish.On the other hand I am cheering on the TPN Racing/Blackforest team, I really want to see how that Mustang does in GT class, however since it is the first year with a mustang I can't expect much.

moot09

Established Member
Anyone know what happened to the '11 Mustangs? Saw them in the very beginning but havent since.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
TPN Racing/Blackforest Mustang (#11) out of the Rolex 24hr due to "technical issues". Interested to see how it does later in the session against the tube-chassis Camaros.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
TPN Racing/Blackforest Mustang (#11) out of the Rolex 24hr due to "technical issues". Interested to see how it does later in the session against the tube-chassis Camaros.

Any update on how it did against the Camaros?

moot09

Established Member
The Camaro did surprisingly well in the beginning. Held with the Gt3s and held the lead for a bit.

I do like the redesigned front fascia on them though.

It was cool to see Dempsey's team do well. Placed 3rd in class I believe.

Next up, 24hrs of Sebring!

THE_STIG

Established Member
The Camaro did surprisingly well in the beginning. Held with the Gt3s and held the lead for a bit.

I do like the redesigned front fascia on them though.

It was cool to see Dempsey's team do well. Placed 3rd in class I believe.

Next up, 12hrs of Sebring!

Fixed it for ya :beer:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Any update on how it did against the Camaros?

As noted above the Mustang withdrew with technical difficulties. I did a little digging regarding the car and came up with this link.

TPN Racing/Blackforest Returns to Rolex Series with Ford Mustang

Note the last paragraph....

"While the bloodlines are intact, the TPN Racing/Blackforest 2011 Ford Mustang GT marks a significant departure from the Ford Mustang GT Class entry that the team originally debuted in the 2007 Rolex 24 At Daytona, with the Ford V-8 powerplant one of the few items that were carried over as TPN/Blackforest built the machine with outside engineering help to work within the next generation Prep 2 regulations."

Not sure what that exactly means with respect to what's under the Mustang facade in this class. I'm pumped to see what happens in later races, but I'm not a big fan of tube-chassis facade car's like the Camaro which really have little in common with the street car.

I'm also watching the Marc VDS Mustang GT3 in FIA GT3 to see if it can get past the wealth of "technical issues" that kept it from running last year. This car I don't believe has a tube chassis, but does have 1) a rear-mounted transaxle (a'la Corvetter) and 2) an IRS. Should also be fun to watch...if it ever runs seriously.

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
Wish I would of gone this year but I just started a new job..

HERE are some I took at last year's Rolex. A few really good ones of the Camaro with NO hood and the RX8s spittin fire..

rolex7.jpg

Rolex1.jpg

rolex4.jpg

rolex5.jpg

rolex6.jpg

rolex3.jpg

Login | Facebook

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Does the new Boss 302 Mustang qualify for the GT class?

Here's a link to the GT rules PDF:

http://admin.grand-am.com/assets/GTrulesforweb2.pdf

The rules specify the Cammer motor and some other limitations for the Mustang....but not many. The Boss runs in the "GS" Continental class and wouldn't be competitive in GT considering the fact those cars end up being just production bodies on full tube chassis race cars. Interesting to learn how the TPN Racing/Blackforest is actually setup. They could actually be running a transaxle...not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread