Road trip gone wrong

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Yesterday, I left home at 5:30am for a fairly long road trip to spend Christmas with my daughter and my mother.

I took my beater car, an ugly green 97 taurus. Reliable car, decent mpg. Roomy....and ugly so no one will steal it. Perfect winter car!

Anyhow, 10 (TEN!!) hours into my 12 hour trip, I fill up and head out of the gas station. About a quarter mile after that, some asshat turns right in front of me. I had nowhere to go. Plowed right into him. Was a brand new 2015 F150 supercrew. Giant ass truck took up all 3 lanes trying to turn. Totalled the Taurus. Core support cracked numberous places, battery push up a foot plus from original spot. The f150 suffered moderate dmg on the passenger side rear, directly in front on the rear wheel. Officer cited him.

Course, now here I am stuck 2 hours from destination and 10 hours from where I started. Had to call my mother to pick me up. Finally got home at 10:30 at night. 17 hours total.

Hmm, dealing with insurance companies and the loss of my car 800 miles from home. Yay!

Oh, of course the old coger drove away to his house that was literally 600 feet away.

Dammit.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I'm shocked the 97 Taurus made it 10 hours without blowing a head gasket or transmission.

Shake it off, you'll find another in no time, with better paint too.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
totaled 97 Tarus is not going to bring much from the insurance company. but they should pay a nice fee for a rental for your return trip, reimburse your mom for her time and gas spent picking you up, you time spent waiting for shit to get done ... all in all you should come out richer by a couple of grand.

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
What a bummer op. On the bright side you made it and get to be with family for the holidays. Hopefully nothing starts hurting later on. Seems like whiplash and muscle aches usually come a good day later.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Thank God it's not worse. Yeah it sucks but you could be in a hospital bed 10 hours from home or worse, a morgue.

oldmodman

Established Member
Aren't you supposed to pull the bastard out of his truck and continue onto your destination?

Just toss him the keys to your car and tell him that you consider it an even trade.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I'm shocked the 97 Taurus made it 10 hours without blowing a head gasket or transmission.

Shake it off, you'll find another in no time, with better paint too.

LoI. True story, the reason I bought it was that it was a shops car and they rebuilt the trans. I was well aware of the trans and engine. It was well maintained. Shop car for 5 years and they gave me all the paperwork they did to it from 2010-15.

Also, I'm going to ask for my 16 gallons of gas sitting in the tank. I literally filled up 2 minutes prior. I hadn't thought about time n gas for someone else's car. Good idea! Thanks!

I'll be happy if they get near $1400. The car just hit 111000 miles. It wasn't too bad condition either. Again, it's just a car to keep me out of the Cobra during Minnesota winter's.

Thank you all for the kind words. Also, thanks for reminding me I still have my health. That can be in short supply these days too

Users who are viewing this thread