Road Racing?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I use www.motorsportsreg.com to check out the schedule of various clubs and organizations. There are a couple events at summit that I would like to get to if I can. Particulary one of the BMW or Porche Club events.

Yeah, that's good site too, Rod.

We stopped by the main track on Sunday to watch while running at Shenandoah. The BMWCCA of NJ was there running races and drivers schools. We caught the start of a race of H-Prepared (or C-Mod) cars. Those things are wicked fast! Doing 155 into T-1. :eek:

signaturepicture-1.jpg

web.jpg

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I went to check out a 2007 Solstice GXP with 10k miles on it for $21,990 in Tyson's Corner. They're not selling too many of them so they'll work on the price as well. They also had a few other 07's but non-turbo models for $16-18K. I test drove the Solstice GXP and that thing had some balls. :eek:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Supposedly their numbers are sandbagged from the factory! They produce more than the 260/260 that's advertised. They shut down the output testing at 5300rpms. Peak TQ was hit at 2500 rpms as well.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
You'd have to add a rollbar for most organizations, Marlon. Not many of the factory rollbar's make it. They're just not tall enough.
But that's OK. I think they're kinda cool lookin'.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Greg, thanks for the link! I'll have to get with you about setting up the car for the track. :)

I'm still not sure if that's the car I want though. I like the S2000's as well. The vettes are still on my radar but I'm trying to stay away, lol. I just know I'll go crazy with power and appearance mods on them. :nonono:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Marlon, when I instructed at last years MB event at Summit Point, one of my students had a S2000. A very impressive track car. But than another student had a VW GTI R32. That was impressive, too! But I know I would have enjoyed the S2000 more, especially on the street.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
If I had a bit more money, I'd have an S2000 for a DD/track car. Sport Compact Car magazine just did a hardcore suspension test with them, comparing 6 or 8 of the top suspension companies' coilover setups against a stock S2k and S2k CR. Pretty intense and defintely made me want the car. A friend of mine has one and I drove it once, definitely not a slacker, even stock. Plus I've heard many magazines repeatedly say it has the best shifting 6 speed ever.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Ummm, WOW! :eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H4b8TEWlqQ&feature=related"]YouTube - LS7 Single Turbo Pontiac Solstice By Mallett Cars[/ame]

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
WOW! He was beating the train! :D

Didn't take long for someone to drop a V8 in one. That must have been some shake-down runs. It could do so much more than that.

I see another video of a red one. If Pontiac or Chevy were to actually build those, they would rivel the original Shelby AC Cobras. Big V8 in a sports car shell.

Then I saw the video of the Vertical Door one. I don't know what's more insulting, the car or the music. :nonono:

Marlon, I like the coupe. And you probably wouldn't meed a rollbar in it.

Last edited:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
The new coupe is nice! I may hold off until then but I'm sure something else will come along that catches my eye.

Pontiac_Solstice_Coupe_7_(768x576).jpg

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
1) I love the Solstice coupe concept. Looks way better than the vert. I hope they do the same thing with the sky.

2) Mallet cars, guys that have been tuning vettes for a while, do the LSx swap into both the Solstice and Sky. You can get an LS2 or LS7 if you want, in either car. They have a lot of different setups, you may want to check it out. Only problem is the $21k price tag over the cost of the car itself. Might be worth it though.

http://www.mallettcars.com/sky-conversion.htm

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

Users who are viewing this thread