Road Racing?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Hey Gents,

I'm looking to buy another toy strictly for autocrossing/road racing. I'm considering an EVO, S2000, E46 M3 and a few others. I'm trying to get some added ideas. Any recommendations?

:pop:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
If you can afford one (and fit in one), the Lotus Elise is a great choice. In stock form, those will rape most other cars around any sort of track. Any small RWD car will do (miata lol).

The bimmer is too expensive for parts and upkeep, so I wouldn't even consider this for just a track car. Maybe if you got an older E39 or E30 M3.

The Evo is a great choice, especially if you can find a good deal on an RS, which comes without power windows, ABS, radio, and other stuff. Its built for racing in mind. Definitely has the power and is easiliy upgradable, but can hold its own even when stock. Check out www.evolutionm.net to find classifieds and all kinds of ideas on suspension and power mods. If I had a decent amount of money, I'd definitely build one up.

Since you already know about mustangs, why not an SN95 Cobra coupe? Tons of handling mods out there and they already have the power you'd need.

I've been thinking about this sort of thing myself, except I'd have a DD/track car. If I can ever sell my GT, I'll pick up an older civic or integra that already has a nice motor swap in it. It'll get decent gas mileage, and I can mod up the suspension/chassis to handle the corners. Hopefully by next season I can finally try a road course and give Ken in the Focus a run for his money lol.

Last edited:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
The Lotus Elise is sweet but I think it maybe a bit too small for me. :dw: The EVO RS would be nice though. I would have to convert the SRA to IRS on the SN95 Cobra, correct?

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
You will get good answers from Greg, Doug, Rick and the likes.

I am just a novice myself, been to 4 track days now.

I can tell you they are pretty much dif leagues when you go Front wheel drive vs. Rear.

The lil SVT FOCI handles great, holds its own, but lacks enough TQ and HP for big tracks. The tight course at Summit (Shenandoah Circuit) fits the small cars well.

Depends on what you want to do with it I guess. From what I know now, you can pretty much have fun in anything you drive, just depends on how competitive you want / need to be.

I have modded the Focus lil because it was much cheaper than track prepping the Cobra...and I have a blast and will continue to do so.

If you plan on AUTO X, I think small would be the way to go. And cheaper to mod

Just my .02

Ken

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
If you can afford one (and fit in one), the Lotus Elise is a great choice. In stock form, those will rape most other cars around any sort of track.

Dale, I think you have a hard-on for lotus'. Suggesting to Chris, now here. Just sell both of your vehicles and get a lotus and live in it! ;-)

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
I would have to convert the SRA to IRS on the SN95 Cobra, correct?

That was what I thought, but apparently the SRA is better suited for Road Racing.

Mark at PAS deals with the Griggs setup and his personal car is setup for road racing. First thing he does with Cobras is ditch the IRS and puts a Torque Arm/Panhard Bar setup in the back.

I'd love to see a real clean SN95 setup right.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Ken nailed it when he said you can have fun in anything you drive. The driver is going to make the difference. To be honest with you I have only had to give a point by to 2 other cars in my past 2 events. One was a modded GT500 and the other a modded Terminator. At last weekends Summit Point event I was passing Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, Miatas, and I would have even passed a Lotus if it would have been in my group.

I have been looking into getting a more dedicated track car myself. I think I am going to go with a fox body Mustang, for several reasons

1. They are relatively cheap
2. There is a ton of inexpensive aftermarket support
3. You can get them below 3000lbs
4. I know how to do most of the work myself.

There are many companies who can get more than 1Gs of handling out of these cars.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
After experiencing both autoX and open track, I would say autoX is a waste of time. I will only do the rest of this season because I have prepaid. AutoX at Fedex you've heard the stories of lotto wait for a total of 4 minutes of driving.

Horsepower is your friend on open track. To compete anyways. For fun you just need suspension and brakes.

Scott

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Marlon, the best advise I can give you is come up to a track day or two and spend some time getting to know the cars that others are driving. Ask them how they like them, what problems they have, and watch them on track.

You just missed the Mercedes Benz event at Summit Point last weekend, that would have been a good one to check out. Doug, Ken, Scott, Rick and myself were up there beating on our cars (Ken over did it).

I'll be at Summit Point for the NASA event on August 23/24. That will be HPDE (Open Track) and racing. Here's a link to the NASA schedule. http://www.nasaracing.net/sched_regis.htm

That would be a great one to check out the cars at. Free entry! There's also ones in Oct and Nov, I should be at those also. And here's Summit Point's web site. Click on "Motorsports Schedule" for other events going on there. http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

Any of the cars you (and others) listed would work, but for a little research you could find exactly what you want.

BUT....you do need to decide what you might want to do more. AutoCross or Open Tracking. Some cars are good at both...with different setups. But some cars are much better at one over another.

Choices, choices.... :rollseyes

convert03cobra

Established Member
Just get a SN95 like this and be done with it. You may not pass anyone at the track, but others will sure admire it as they pass you.

mustang-on-26-inch-wheels.jpg

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
OMG, I want that.

The ultimate track car! No worries about hitting down in the dip at the Shenandoah circuit like I always do.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Marlon, the best advise I can give you is come up to a track day or two and spend some time getting to know the cars that others are driving. Ask them how they like them, what problems they have, and watch them on track.

You just missed the Mercedes Benz event at Summit Point last weekend, that would have been a good one to check out. Doug, Ken, Scott, Rick and myself were up there beating on our cars (Ken over did it).

I'll be at Summit Point for the NASA event on August 23/24. That will be HPDE (Open Track) and racing. Here's a link to the NASA schedule. http://www.nasaracing.net/sched_regis.htm

That would be a great one to check out the cars at. Free entry! There's also ones in Oct and Nov, I should be at those also. And here's Summit Point's web site. Click on "Motorsports Schedule" for other events going on there. http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

Any of the cars you (and others) listed would work, but for a little research you could find exactly what you want.

BUT....you do need to decide what you might want to do more. AutoCross or Open Tracking. Some cars are good at both...with different setups. But some cars are much better at one over another.

Choices, choices.... :rollseyes

One must test his limits, and the limits of his equipment, to know where these limits lie.

I tested my limits, and I passed everything in sight, I only got passed ONCE during the entire weekend, and that was by some NOOB in a TT german thing :poke:

My brakes were gone Sat afternoon, and I found a way to work around them all day Sunday, well, almost all day. So I tested the limits of brakes, and the tire wall won.

Lesson I learned, don't push it if you hae ANY doubts about the equip. Greg will back me on this I am sure, but I was skeptical about my brakes BEFORE my ASSident.

I am a Noob and was jonezing for track time, how can you not it is so much damn fun. When I should have called it a day, drove the four miles home, and then looked into my brake situation I did not. And now I am having a FOCI Face lift being done....

rant off

I agree with Greg, go to a track event, see how they run, see how they are set up, tons of fun. These wont be laughing at me when we pop a 351 in the lil blue thing :lol::lol:

Seriously, you will have fun no matter what. Hell, if I can get around the track as quick as I did with the lil 150 HP, shows you how much fun you can have economically.

Go for it, just say yes, get on the track, never look back...

Ken

:beer::beer:

black-plasma

Established Member
It doesn't really matter what car you have, since your driving ability will determine how fast you are on the track. Last year at the Time Attack in St. Louis there was a completely stock looking 2 door Honda Accord couple (yes an Accord) tearing up the Pro sessions. It was unbelieveable how much speed he could carry around the turns and there was mostly race cars out there at the time.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
It doesn't really matter what car you have, since your driving ability will determine how fast you are on the track. Last year at the Time Attack in St. Louis there was a completely stock looking 2 door Honda Accord couple (yes an Accord) tearing up the Pro sessions. It was unbelieveable how much speed he could carry around the turns and there was mostly race cars out there at the time.

You're correct in terms of ultimate lap times, (I've seen a Nissan Sentra with similar results), but he's starting with an open mind and checkbook. He might as well get some idea of what gives him a woody as far as a track car goes
(sorry Marlon :D).

I enjoy the car I track with. There are others I'd like as well. And some I wouldn't.

But to say it doesn't matter what car he has is I think to miss the point. Most of us are open tracking (HPDE, On Track, call it what you want) for the fun of it, not just to see what kind of times we can lay down. And I think anyone would have more fun in a car they like, be it from an aesthetic reason, a "fun-to-drive" quotient, or maybe just cheap to run.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Marlon, if it were me, I'd get either a fox mustang, or an old E30 BMW. Both are easy to work on with lots and lots of support. I will take my fox to an open track event to play with it, but given the amount of money and time I have wrapped up in it, I probably wont push it as hard as it can go for fear of wrecking it. Who knows, if I like it enough, I might sell the cobra and buy another fox/miata/E30 for open track purposes.

Anyway, I've never been on an open road course in my life, so take what I have to say with the appropriately sized grain of salt.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
And just why weren't you up there with us last weekend, young man?!

My collarbone is in two pieces. I've just now gotten back to the point where I can drive the BMW around, but not to where I could race anything. Before now I've been driving the Jeep and the Minivan. Believe me, I was just talking to Billy about this a couple hours ago. I'm Jonesing to go like you wouldn't believe. I did briefly consider leaving there with your tires.....:poke:

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I am definitely doing the October NASA event Mike, along with Greg. I am sure Ken will be there also. You have plenty of time to prepare. Why don't you go with us?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I am definitely doing the October NASA event Mike, along with Greg. I am sure Ken will be there also. You have plenty of time to prepare. Why don't you go with us?

I'd like to. I have a feeling I'll be going in for surgery on my shoulder sometime in early september, so maybe I'll be well enough to race by then. I tell you, I'm friggen sick of not being able to do anything. I've saved up enough to get a new mountain bike, but I don't think I have enough strength in my arm to ride it yet.

Maybe I'll go regardless, and just watch if I have too.

Users who are viewing this thread