Ripped Off For $8750.00

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
This message is about an event that recently happened to me. I just finished up with the bank & insurance investagators and the police etc....

I figured I'd share this to hopefully prevent this from happening to other people.

I placed an add with cycle trader to sell my 2004 GSXR 1000 for 9000 or best offer.

I had someone contact me, from out of state "saposidly" for serveral days. They were an interested buyer etc etc.... I got there name & phone number etc...

These guys asked me how I wanted the money, cash, bank check, money orders etc....

I decided on the day the deal went through I wanted him to get a cashiers check from the bank.

So he came on november 9th, looked at my bike, we agreed on the amount talked over the phone and he had the check.

Me assuming all was well, I shake the guys hand, and help him and his buddy load my bike into there minivan.

Little did I know I was shaking hands with the the guy who was stealing my bike right in front of my face.

The following day I deposited the check at my local bank. 2 days later I check online and the money is there. Ok everything s fine I'm thinking, check cleared deal is done.

Then yesterday I go to use my check card for a purchase, and it gets declined. Now theres XXXXX dollars in there, and I'm pissed off. Who likes to get a card declined you look like an idiot.

I call the bank, wanting to know why in the hell my card is getting declined. I get transferred 3 times, eventually to find out my account in frozen and under investagation.

Why you might ask..... duh me being an idiot.... the check was counterfiet.
It cleared but then somehow was found to be fake after it went back to the issuing bank routing number or something??? who knows....

I know people will say I should have done this or that..... I used bank checks for settlements like 3 times in the past year, I looked this one over very good, it had all the markings, front & back, security features etc.....

I have the whole case together I guess now, it's a mess to deal with all at once, 3 different case numbers, the bank the cops & the ins company.

I was first told that this was a bad check, and that by law the issuer of the check has 10 days to make good on it. But then the cops thought, fake name, bad number etc.... (throw away phone) no other factual information.... theres no way in hell to catch this guy.

It turns out what happened to me is theft by disception. And yes lucky for me that is covered under my ins. policy. I am thanking my lucky stars right now I had full coverage and all the additional coverage add ons. It was like 1700 bucks for the year, which now I'm glad I spent every dollar of that.

Hopefully all will be well, and after the 30 day wait period I should be issued a check for the value of the bike. The www.nada.com values a 2003 1000 just around 8000 for average it says. So hopefully I'll get more for mine since it was a 2004 with 1600 miles, flawless.

Anyway, be very carefull of who you do bussiness with. I was told by the ins investagator he does like 26+ a month in the area, and that this year has had the highest number of claims for thier company. And thats theres a theft ring moving up and down the east coast etc.... something along those lines.

You could be defrauded even by someone who shows you thier id, uses cash, bank checks, anything as all of anything can be fake.

The only real way to be 100% sure would be to deal with the banks. Have your bank call his bank to verify the money is there, then transferr the money via check\bank check whatever, and wait for it to clear. Then once for sure the money is real and everything is good then hand over the bike \ car & title etc....

And even for the people that laugh at me and say I should have took cash, the ins guy said that theres also the same senarioes as me happening with fake 100 dollar bills.

These counterfiter guys are really making high quality stuff, almost to hard to tell the difference to the untrained eye.

Which happens to be myself and I'm sure alot of other people out here.

Be safe everyone

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Can't say I would do anything differently, but, can't they track the VIN of the bike and when its sold, track them down that way? Or do they think the bike is going to get stripped?

JTSVT

Equal Opportunity AzzKker
Established Member
Damn sorry that had to happen.....There's no way to track the bike down once its on the street?....Seems there's gotta be some sort of way, I cant just see the guy riding into the sunset scott-free......In any case glad your covered.....Good luck in catching that thieving bastard!---JT

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
One thing they can do is strip the bike and it will mysteriously turn up - you say you don't want the totally stripped bike, it goes to police auction, and they buy it cheap put all the parts back on.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I had an out of state call when I was selling my bike in Cycle Trader. It seemed a little strange so I told the guy to send me cash if he was serious and when the check cleared I would send the bike. I never heard from him again and ended up selling my bike to someone else the next day. That guy was also out of state and even though he paid cash, I took down his name and number from his driver's license [supposedly for the bill of sale]. I also copied the plate number from his buddy's car. I guess you can't be too careful now-a-days.

At least you had coverage on your bike, but now you have a claim against you. Next time they review your policy, your rates may go up. I wonder if you can ask to be notified if someone tries to get plates for the bike? I would bet that it's resold within a week...

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
DAMN I hate to hear that.

When I was trying to sell my car I had scheisters calling me several times a day...I had several schemes attempted. When I said that I needed a cashier's check and for him to walk in the bank with me while I deposited the check (after the bank called to verify funds) I heard very little from him after that. He called once or twice to try and shift the meeting time outside banking hours but I refused, then he just gave some lame excuse and then I never heard from him again. This happened more than once.

Hispanics from Georgia...LOL. Georgia plates have the counties on them...did you catch the county? The county where I live has TONS of Hispanics due to industrial working conditions. If it was Whitfield I can assist.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your luck, at least that insurance is saving your ass, good job with staying top of that!!! F'n mexicans I have had so many problems with them, :cuss: Glad you get your money back though! :thumbsup:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The same EXACT thing happened to me last year. This guy called me several times interested in my bike. He wasn't from out of state either, he was in Houston which is about 45 miles from me. We strike a deal and he pays with a Bank of America cashier's check. It had all the security features on it etc. I get a call about a week later from my bank saying I have negative $4000 in my account because when they sent the check it came back from Bank of America as counterfeit. It turns out it was an actual check from the bank that was stolen, that's why it fooled everyone. My bank wouldn't help me out so I had to claim it on my insurance as theft by deception. Ironically, I got a call about a month ago from a detective in Houston asking me about my bike. They rounded up several stolen bikes and my engine was in one of them. I hope they catch the bastard that did this, I can't stand thieves! :cuss:

DarickPSU

Mick in a Mystic
Established Member
Not to sound like I'm kicking ya while your down but in the future have the person put his thumb print on the check. I do this with any check over $300 for security purposes. I too have been burned in the past. Never again.
D.
:mj: :mj: :mj: :mj: :mj: :mj: :mj:

Also advertise another bike and wait for him to come to you. One thing about thieves is they always come back for more. I work loss prevention on the east coast and this is one fact I have come to know.

Last edited:

a94cobra

Established Member
This scam is on the internet too. I had someone email me about buying my car. I played along to see what the catch was. They were ready to buy and would even pay with a cashiers check. Funny thing was, I didn't advertise my car for sale on the internet anywhere(as they claim). They knew all about what the car was though.

I finally just didn't respond back. Sounds like I did the right thing.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Damn. First it's mailing fake checks from Nigeria, now they show up in person to rob you blind. Losers these days sure are growing bigger balls. When I had my car up for sale recently, I collected two fake checks and framed them on my wall before I decided to keep the car. Some cons are crafty but as for the ones who tried to take me, they were just plain f*cking stupid. It has taken no time flat for this to become THE classic internet scam. If you haven't heard of it, just put a fake ad up anywhere on the web and I guarantee it's only a matter of time before you receive overseas email from agents about an "inqiry from my client aboutt said vehicle he iss most liking your car he wants too by immediitely..." blah blah blah...

You would think that tracking the bike's VIN would help alot but think about it; If the bike is not registered or even pulled over, then how do you expect anyone to track it??? And that's on the overly optimistic assumption that any and all VIN plates haven't already been removed. The cold hard truth is, in a case like this, a VIN is as useless as a snooze button on a smoke detector. It's time to cut your losses and get back some hard-earned cash from your friendly neighborhood insurance folks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread