RIP "The Enforcer" Dick Butkus

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
RIP to "The greatest Monster of the Midway" Mr. Butkus.
You were one tough sonofabitch.

IMG_9626.jpeg

IMG_9625.jpeg

1696548203961.gif

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I remember when he went into the locker room at halftime when he was the coach for the Bears, and when he came back out his hand and wrest was in a splint I think that was 1983-85 because he cursed out the team and punched a locker with it, shattering a few bones! He basically said you either suck it up and play or I'm going to call the game and all the fans can return home.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
A REAL Man...RIP
Yes, he was, as most were in that era. I was fortunate to work for Ron McDole for a brief time doing commercial store fronts and cabinet installs. I did an addition for Dexter Manley's neighbor and he'd come over and BS from time to time. He was a big guy! It seemed his hand was the size of a phone book, when you went to shake it. His Superbowl ring was as big around as a snuff can. I worked on a house that Dean Hamel was staying at, only no one was to be home. We commenced to installing a new sliding door and all the natural light disappeared on the inside from the front of the house as he walked towards me blocking all the light in the hallway. I was like WTH is this creature doing here and is he going to kick my ass. Instead he just said dont let the dog out. We didn't even know a dog was in the house. He sat down and had a wooden salad bowl ( I'm talking about the bowl you serve salad out of) and poured almost a whole box of cereal in it and milk and watched us work on the door. Also fixed a door at Charles Mann house, what a spread! Joe Theismann would sit in our construction company parking lot waiting for his Daughter to get out of ballet class. All great men in person.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
When I grew up everybody wanted to hit like Butkus. It's what the coaches demanded.

meaniehead.jpg

Here's Richard standing over the only player to die on the field in the NFL, Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions back on October 24th,1971.

chuck-hughes_2rfxjzs4ab1y1dwj3wala03h0.jpg

RIP Dick.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Growing up and watching those old ESPN football highlight shows (narrated by that man with the monotone voice) about him and his team was classic!

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
ESPN? It was the Wide World of sports when I was a kid. That and Howard Cosell. Look at that ****** run.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Growing up and watching those old ESPN football highlight shows (narrated by that man with the monotone voice) about him and his team was classic!

You talking about the immortal John Facenda?

FWIW, the amazing music was written and produced by the legendary Sam Spence.

Here's the cd with all those legendary tracks. Might also be available on iTunes.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
In short, no. Chuck had at least one other cardiac event prior to playing the Bears on that day.

VegasMichael

Established Member
You talking about the immortal John Facenda?

FWIW, the amazing music was written and produced by the legendary Sam Spence.

Here's the cd with all those legendary tracks. Might also be available on iTunes.

John Facenda was frequently referred to as "The Voice of God".

Users who are viewing this thread