RIP Stock Halfshafts

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
I posted last week about a successful trip to OSW where I made two 10.8 passes with a 1.5X 60 foot with stock halfshafts. I took a trip out to FL2K at Bradenton Motorsport Park. Unfortunately first pass up the car broke. I haven't looked under the car yet but I am almost positive the driver side axle snapped.

As requested the video below goes right to the track pass. I am going to looking into upgrade options which seems to be either the GForce Axles or DSS Axles.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
G-force. They are remove and replace. No special ends or hubs or anything funny like that. When I talked to the guy there I asked him if anyone’s filed a claim on the lifetime warranty yet and he said nope not yet. The same can’t be said about the others. Also much better vid, straight to the good stuff. Sorry for your unfortunate luck.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
G-force. They are remove and replace. No special ends or hubs or anything funny like that. When I talked to the guy there I asked him if anyone’s filed a claim on the lifetime warranty yet and he said nope not yet. The same can’t be said about the others. Also much better vid, straight to the good stuff. Sorry for your unfortunate luck.

We have GForce Ford Racing Halfshafts on our 2016 GT and we are very happy with them.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Should also consider a solid axle if you plan to race a lot.

--Joe
I have a solid axle car. Full tubular k-member, viking coil overs, upr upper and lower control arms, subframe connectors, etc. I like the car but it doesn't handle like the IRS. The IRS has a different more refined feel while the SRA has a more raw old car feel. Hard to explain. The SRA is definitely the better rear end for drag racing but with my IRS now with the maximum motorsports upgrades and soon axles it will do the job fairly well.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Were you able to actually move the car under it's own power after that happened?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
axel snapped. If it was the rear you would have movement from the car and just loud banging popping noises.

And honestly, I've had all the dss level 100000 or whatever they're at now and I broke two of them. Stock is fine and cheap. Get a soft sidewall tire and send it.

I got my best 60' on stock axels and a soft sidewall slick on my stock IRS

Soap

Established Member
I have a solid axle car. Full tubular k-member, viking coil overs, upr upper and lower control arms, subframe connectors, etc. I like the car but it doesn't handle like the IRS. The IRS has a different more refined feel while the SRA has a more raw old car feel. Hard to explain. The SRA is definitely the better rear end for drag racing but with my IRS now with the maximum motorsports upgrades and soon axles it will do the job fairly well.

I was not trying to compare ride quality from SRA to IRS.....I said if you plan to race a lot you should consider a SRA. I stand by that recommendation.

I hope you are right about it doing fairly well following the upgrades.

--Joe

GodStang

Established Member
The Aftermarket ones brake just like the stock ones. The differences is you can replace many many stock ones for the price of the aftermarket ones.

Image-1.jpg

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
The Aftermarket ones brake just like the stock ones. The differences is you can replace many many stock ones for the price of the aftermarket ones.

View attachment 1521728

You do pay an initial premium but aftermarket ones do come with lifetime warranties nowadays and chances are you’ll blow your diff housing before those axles go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
You do pay an initial premium but aftermarket ones do come with lifetime warranties nowadays and chances are you’ll blow your diff housing before those axles go.

Ehh performance places always try and find ways around not honoring warranties. How many 1200+ hp Supra's do you see using stock axels with no issues. Can't be a coincidence.

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
Any wheel hop when it snapped? This is typically the culprit when you break a half shaft. Not saying it can't happen without it but I will go on record as saying it takes an awful lot of power to break even a stock OEM 31 spline axle when wheel hop is not an issue. They are neither small nor weak. Even when running a drag radial, it's not common at least not that I have ever seen. Of course a soft sidewall slick is the optimal choice, that I do agree with.

Zemedici

Established Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Performance and warranty should not be in the same sentence, typically. I wouldn’t buy the aftermarkets for solely the warranty. I mean you’re upgrading the stuff to beat on it, shit breaks.

I’d either SRA swap it or throw stockers in

zredfire04

Established Member
it could be done at the track, but it's a solid 30-45 minute job if everything goes right. when i dropped my center section, it took me about 30 minutes a side just to get the shafts out of the housing. took TONS of prying, but they finally came out.

03' White Snake

Established Member
They are pretty simple to replace. Can be done in 30-45 minutes. Remove wheel, axle nut, top camber bolt on spindle, abs sensor, then pry the axle out of the center section, pull on the spindle and it's out. Reverse to reinstall.

I have a spare stock axle I bring with me to the track. I snapped both my stock axles on a 2500 rpm dump on DR's.... no wheel hop, dead hook and bang. Car went about 2 feet and stopped. Car wouldn't move after that. I thought 1 broke, replaced it to find out the other snapped too. I kept the outer and inner hubs as it was my middle shafts that snapped.

Last edited:

zredfire04

Established Member
if you're going to remove the top camber bolt, be sure to mark it so you don't screw up the alignment.

one could also remove the lower bolt and avoid alignment issues.

Users who are viewing this thread