Rimac vs GP KTM vs supercharged Busa

ajaf1656

Established Member
Fast as hell, but still on a prepped track though. I'd have to assume a GP bike could drop a couple tenths at the dragstrip from where it was in the video. Just shows how far the technology is ahead in racing.

I remember back in the early 2000s there was a video I watched, like Modern Marvel's maybe, and it was covering cars and motorcycle and the one thing that stuck out to me was that they stated motorcycle technology is about 10 years ahead of vehicles in how it trickles down from the racing side to the production side. So in about a decade the top sport bikes on the market will perform like that GP bike.
When you look at the lap records at the Circuit of the Americas, the MotoGP bikes are only about 5 seconds faster than the MotoAmerica Superbikes. At Laguna Seca, it's closer to 2 seconds.
Yamaha's cross-plane I-4 and Ducati's V4 are direct descendants of their MotoGP bikes. I just wish KTM would do something with theirs. They don't offer a bike anywhere close to what they race.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
When you look at the lap records at the Circuit of the Americas, the MotoGP bikes are only about 5 seconds faster than the MotoAmerica Superbikes. At Laguna Seca, it's closer to 2 seconds.
Yamaha's cross-plane I-4 and Ducati's V4 are direct descendants of their MotoGP bikes. I just wish KTM would do something with theirs. They don't offer a bike anywhere close to what they race.

KTM makes awesome bikes and products, but their sport bikes have always seemed to be just slightly behind. They're competitive but they never take that top spot like Ducati, BMW, Yamaha, etc are constantly passing back and forth. Even the Aprilia RSV4 was the baddest bike on the market at one point. They're probably pretty comparable to KTM when it comes to funding and R&D.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
KTM makes awesome bikes and products, but their sport bikes have always seemed to be just slightly behind. They're competitive but they never take that top spot like Ducati, BMW, Yamaha, etc are constantly passing back and forth. Even the Aprilia RSV4 was the baddest bike on the market at one point. They're probably pretty comparable to KTM when it comes to funding and R&D.

I wonder if its not their European-socially-responsible attitude that limits their ability/desire to release a truly competitive sportbike for road going mass consumption?? I've always had wood for an RC8. That LC8 motor is just a nasty beast.

But in reality, none of those numbers matter to us mortals any more. It all about the vibe...

Blackoyote

Established Member
I wonder if its not their European-socially-responsible attitude that limits their ability/desire to release a truly competitive sportbike for road going mass consumption?? I've always had wood for an RC8. That LC8 motor is just a nasty beast.

But in reality, none of those numbers matter to us mortals any more. It all about the vibe...

That's exactly it, the president of KTM issued a statement a few years back about their responsibility for consumer safety.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I like that they make a range of naked bikes, but their MotoGP engine is a V4 not a twin. Let's see a V4 Superduke!
Aprilia came to MotoGP the other direction. Their GP bike evolved from the WSBK championship winning RSV4, not the other way around. I'd still rock a Tuono V4 Factory. Have you seen the new one in white?

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I like that they make a range of naked bikes, but their MotoGP engine is a V4 not a twin. Let's see a V4 Superduke!
Aprilia came to MotoGP the other direction. Their GP bike evolved from the WSBK championship winning RSV4, not the other way around. I'd still rock a Tuono V4 Factory. Have you seen the new one in white?

I think I have... sort of. Ride 5 just came out and I have been playing that and the Tuono V4 was one of the first bikes I had to buy lol. If you want a good motorcycle game that is basically Gran Turismo but bikes then check it out. The beginning tutorial sucks cause all of the nannies are on, but as soon as you get a chance turn all of it off and the riding physics are some of the best. It's super easy to crash but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it and after that it is so much fun.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I think I have... sort of. Ride 5 just came out and I have been playing that and the Tuono V4 was one of the first bikes I had to buy lol. If you want a good motorcycle game that is basically Gran Turismo but bikes then check it out. The beginning tutorial sucks cause all of the nannies are on, but as soon as you get a chance turn all of it off and the riding physics are some of the best. It's super easy to crash but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it and after that it is so much fun.
tempImage34ZKo3.png

It must have made its debut at COTA this year, because I saw it there in their booth at MotoGP and it was months before it was showing on their website. When it did, the photos were at COTA. Dude, they were doing demo rides, but "unfortunately due to covid19" nobody had loaner helmets and I flew out from Idaho and didn't wear my Shoei on the airplane, so I couldn't demo it or the Yamaha MT10SP.

I'll have to check that game out. The last MotoGP game I got was really frustrating. I've been playing various MotoGP games since original Xbox days and never struggled so much with the physics. I mostly use it before they race at a track I don't have completely memorized. It helps me get familiar with the track prior to race weekend.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
View attachment 1807626
It must have made its debut at COTA this year, because I saw it there in their booth at MotoGP and it was months before it was showing on their website. When it did, the photos were at COTA. Dude, they were doing demo rides, but "unfortunately due to covid19" nobody had loaner helmets and I flew out from Idaho and didn't wear my Shoei on the airplane, so I couldn't demo it or the Yamaha MT10SP.

I'll have to check that game out. The last MotoGP game I got was really frustrating. I've been playing various MotoGP games since original Xbox days and never struggled so much with the physics. I mostly use it before they race at a track I don't have completely memorized. It helps me get familiar with the track prior to race weekend.

I've always been partial to the Italian bikes and wish I still had my 848Evo. Tempted to get another one, but if I do it's going to likely be a naked Italian. Not sure if I need a 200hp Streetfighter V4 though lol. I like that Tuono and hp is still moderate enough, but $20k! I know that's pretty average now, but still.

From what I have seen or MotoGP it looks like arcadey garbage with numb controls in comparison. The amount of control you feel in Ride is like no other racing game I've played. Probably the most satisfying part is how dialed in they have the feeling through the controller on the amount if slip you get from the rear tire when coming into a corner too hot. You can actually feel it and sort of see it slipping on screen, but the feedback allows you to push it to where you're kicking the rear out on the edge just before you high side, or if you come into a corner on the brakes too hard and locked up you can often still make it through fine, but you'll often low side.

There's also an optional reverse feature like Forza has so you can rewind if you make mistakes and practice repeatedly until you get a corner right cause some are obviously tricky to get right. Also, this new game has a ton of tracks, tons of bikes of all types and they can be modded with name brand parts, and they add a lot of new content throughout the game's life. It had a game breaking bug at launch that screwed up you position in the field after pitting on an endurance race of all things that caused you to go from 1st to 7th so you couldn't proceed through the career, but there was just an update that fixed it I think. I messaged their Facebook account about it and they said they were working on it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread