Riding lawn mower advice

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Just buy a used SCAG. Last forever. Just look at the welds alone plus NOTHING cuts better than a SCAG which is something a LOT of ppl overlook.

They think cause its lawn mower so it just cuts the grass evenly. Nope.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Just buy a used SCAG. Last forever. Just look at the welds alone plus NOTHING cuts better than a SCAG which is something a LOT of ppl overlook.

They think cause its lawn mower so it just cuts the grass evenly. Nope.
What he said. I had a friend sell his house 10 years ago and we bought his Skag and took it to our property up north. We manicure about 7 acres around camp. It will mow in about 2 hours. This unit is from the 90's. It's a rough ride, but it keeps on ticking. The belt goes about every three years. We have another Skag at our place in VA. It mows 2 acres plus the neighbors 5 ac. It's newer and rides much better. Wife had an Xmark she mowed with for a couple years taking care of a property. It was a good unit, but we just didn't need a spare taking up space. We sold that for 1k. You can find good used ones.

We bought one of those 48 inch JD zero turns when my son was young. The float in the carb or needle wouldn't seal. It leaked fuel throughout the combustion chamber into the oil. It did it twice. We got rid of that one.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Any name brand z turn on the market, in your budget, powered by a Kawasaki motor. And buy from a local dealer, not a big box store.
This, this, and also this. Find a dealer local to you, and go with any of their brands they carry. NOT a box store. 48-54"ish deck will be plenty big for you on 3/4 acre.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Also, forgot to mention, if you are mowing a decent slope, you might want to consider a tractor style. Slope mowing with a z turn can be challenging if you aren't careful.

I'm speaking about slope that would be steep enough that you have to scoot your butt over on the seat using a tractor style mower. A z turn won't turn over, but they tend to slide a lot easier on slopes (running sideways). Tractor style will just roll over.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I've only owned kubota. I'd stay away from any gas version of the Kubota. Diesel only.
My next one is prolly gonna be a diesel...my kholer powered kubota cost my 1500 when the stator came apart at 180hrs and destroyed the flywheel as it melted 2 coils lol

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Also, forgot to mention, if you are mowing a decent slope, you might want to consider a tractor style. Slope mowing with a z turn can be challenging if you aren't careful.

I'm speaking about slope that would be steep enough that you have to scoot your butt over on the seat using a tractor style mower. A z turn won't turn over, but they tend to slide a lot easier on slopes (running sideways). Tractor style will just roll over.
True, they're also very ass heavy in the back having the engine and drives back there. Need to be careful on wet ground, as it's not hard to bury one. They'll slide a little on wet slopes sometimes too.

hotcobra03

Established Member
We got lucky ,,end of the year sale at lowes,

Apex 52.

Over sized monster,,

Larger wheels ,thicker deck,and 5 in deep deck .

Kawasaki engine.

5900 on sale 3200.

It's Over 6k this year..

I got 25hrs on it now.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
This came with the house a 2006 with a 20hp Honda motor. Funny thing it uses the same oil filter as my 2009 Honda civic.
IMG_3163.jpeg

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
If you don’t need lawn tractor to do some tractor things also. I’d go with a zero turn. 5k would have got you real nice mower before 2020. Crazy how much riders prices have increased since then.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Why do you want an "X" series? My dad has an X series and we have a D140. We wanted the smallest two cylinder option. There's a snowball chance is hell we both would own a zero turn. When those brake, it's very expensive. Plus it's an overkill since we don't need to reduce the mowing time significantly.

With that said, my recommendation for Deere is the S120 or S140. As for their decks, if you don't let mud and grass stay on the lips of the deck, it will last. Otherwise, it will rust out and ruin the deck.

My dad's side of the family cuts A LOT of grass with each their riding mowers. They cut for hours at a time. The main issue they have had over 20+ years of different mowers is the deck not holding up due to letting mud or grass staying caked up on the decks (usually the front) . Moisture stays then the paint deteriorates then it rust.

If you have a lot of obstacles that require you to back up, a hystostaric clutch is nice. If you have long runs where you don't need to slow down, cruise control is nice. With cruise control on both our Deere's it won't hold it as fast as it can go regularly. I never tried to adjust it further. My dad and I both file our blades, grease our mowers etc religiously.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a 42" John Deere Zero Turn. I mow just over 1 Acre. Have used it for 5 years now. No issues. Had to replace the blades once due to hitting some re-bar buried in the grass by the road. I do an oil/filter change every year. That's it. I really wish the deck was wider than the rear wheels. They are the same and it sucks around landscaping features. I usually leave about a foot of clearance and then clean it up with a walk behind. I got the 42" because it fit through the doors of the storage shed out back.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Klaus if you buy John Deere, do not buy from a box store. Getting warranty work done is a nightmare. I have had a John Deere z445 zero turn since 2012 with now over 300 hours and it's been a great mower, even with the Briggs and Stratton engine. Also don't get hung up on horsepower because these small engine horsepower rating are ridiculous.

Ever thought about a Bad Boy? I just upgraded only because I am mowing more area so I went with a 54" cut.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

robvas

Established Member
We bought our parents(hers) a Craftsman and it broke almost instantly. Replaced with a John Deer and they have loved it for years.
Definitely not a great mower but I have had my Craftsman T1000 for 7 years no issues. Neighbor has basically the same one but different brand from Menards and it broke the first year

Mackie

Established Member
Zero turns aren't great with hills. I've got a tractor with a fabricated deck and mulch kit. They don't draw a vacuum great to lift grass like a cast deck plus they have many nooks and crannies, square corners to trap clippings. I've got a sand based lawn and needed the durability of fabricated, but the cut quality is far from great.
And yeah, Kawasaki motor for certain.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Love my Ferris ZX2 with Kawasaki motor.
Kubota would be choice 2

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Toro Timecutter 42" with My Ride System
I actually got it a year or two ago
Does well and I took the side discharge off and put the Mulching Kit on.

I like the TImecutter, but I want to jump to the next tier, and Titan. I absolutely do not need, just want to. They start at 48" cut

Compare deck construction and material used between brands

Users who are viewing this thread