Ride Height question?

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I'm wanting to lower my car (finally). I'm thinking about going with H&R Race Springs but I also want to upgrade to 18" rims. My question is since I'm going with a rim that is an inch taller that my stock 17" rims will this offset the ride height change from the lowering springs? I really want to know because I'm concerned with my exhaust dragging after I lower my car? I'm hoping to achieve the look of the gap between the tires and fenders being smaller but also maintaining a decent ride height to avoid undercarriage scraping.

thanks for feedback.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Switching from a 17" wheel to an 18" wheel doesn't mean you will raise your car - it depends on the diameter of the tire.

The OEM 275/40-17 tire has a diameter of 25.65"

You could use a 275/35-18 tire, with a diamter of 25.57"

Going to a slightly taller tire won't hurt, but if it is 1" taller, it raises your car by 1/2" and then cuts the fender/tire gap by 1/2". The combination is up to you and your wallet.

I have Continental Extreme Contact DW's on my 2000 Cobra R 18" wheels in 275/40-18. They are 26.65" tall and look good. The revolutions per mile of the tire will also change, so you have to also correct for that.

EDIT: Should have added that my 2000R springs have a similar ride height to the H&R Race springs. With the OEM mid-pipe and the FR-500 exhaust - everything is still tucked behind the MM SFC's, but I still avoid speed-bumps...

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I like the ride height that I have with stock springs that are cut.

I cut 1/3 of a coil in back and 1/4 of a coil in front all stock isolators retained. Results in a ride height slightly higher than the H&R race after they have settled.

I hate scraping on stuff so I was not going to go for a lowered car just for the look, it had to be fully functional without compromising the bump steer or other geometry.

PB1000131.jpg

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I hate scraping on stuff so I was not going to go for a lowered car just for the look, it had to be fully functional without compromising the bump steer or other geometry.

That's also the nice thing about the H&R Race, Eibach, Kenny Brown, and even the 2000R springs - they are functional and don't give you that idiotic slammed look!! Why guys want to scrape their suspension and exhaust over everything is...:shrug:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
This is a great tool for comparing the overall diameter of different tires. Like he said, keep the diameter close to stock and you'll be fine.
Tire size calculator

Thanks for the info fellas. This Tire Size Calculator is very helpful. I am going to go with a tire that will help keep my ride height near stock after I install the lowering springs.

Users who are viewing this thread