Ricer vs 32 Roadster

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Well I couldn't find a a good race for my 32 Roadster so I restored my 1984 Manco and put a new engine in it replacing the tried smoking Brigs and Straton 5 hp horizontal shaft. I restored the Manco and had it sand blasted and powder coated to give to my nephew this Easter.

The drivers: Two firemen. My son and his friend both about 180lbs..

The cars: My recently restored 32 Roaster had a 1.5hp advantage with a 8 hp Tecumseh vertical shaft but a significant weight disadvantage. It also has a 3 speed peerless tranny with reverse. The Manco has a 11 tooth engine sprocket and a 62 tooth drive wheel sprocket 5.62 ratio and obvious weight reduction. Its running a new 6.5hp Harbor Freight Greyhound box OHV slant engine. I know rice but it was cheap. 109.99 Actually looks pretty good plus I got a 2 year unlimited mile replacement warranty for 19.99. That is about what I paid for a new carb for the Tecumseh engine recently.

The Race:

From a dig. The flagman dropped his arms and the drivers put the pedal to the metal. The engines roar to life staining against their loads. The Manco burned rubber struggling for traction. The 32 dead hooked.

It was wheel to wheel through first but after the 1-2 shift the 32 fell behind badly the lighter ricer engined Manco. The Manco won by buses...OK VW buses. After the race we clocked the Ricer and it topped out at 52mph.:D I'll have to turn the speed down before the nephew gets it. :lol: My son vowed to disable the 32's governor and go for a rematch.

The Manco before the restore

Picture400.jpg

The 84 Manco Ricer after restoration

Picture420.jpg

The 32 before restoration

Sharpminicar008.jpg

Sharpminicar005.jpg

The 32 After restore

Picture352.jpg

I'll try to get a video of the rematch.

Last edited:

usmc320

Established Member
I really thought I was going to get to see a 32 Roadster. :cuss: Cool toys, though. I'm a little jealous. lol

pdm

Established Member
I was thinking of a FFR '33.

Amazing what difference just a paint job makes!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
my uncle has one of the red ones, he removed the engine and hooks his Malamutes up to it and lets them pull him around..

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Thats great! I might check out one of those Harbor Freight engines for my old Sears and Roebuck 'Golden Pinto' lol

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
You just confused the crap outta me. I was like what roadster has 8hp???

Good death. Throw a 250 shot on there and show him whos boss.

Users who are viewing this thread