Rhys Millen takes aim at besting 10-minute mark at Pikes Peak

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
^Any pics? I thought the hp would be a little higher on Rhys' car, aren't they usually close to or over 1000hp? Wonder what it weighs it looks damn light.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Since he is based out of Japan, info is much harder to come by, but here is a picture:

29733_132333326782170_100000165095546_385723_7814553_n.jpg

Looks longer and lower than last year's SX4. It weighs 2200lbs, so it is heavier. Tajima is a natural at Pikes Peak and knows the course better than probably anyone.

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
Found more on Tajima's car here: http://www.monster-sport.com/ppihc/e/team/index.html

Found more info on Rhys' car: "The aforementioned V6 has been fitted with an HKS turbocharger pushing 15 pounds of boost, and according to a recent dyno test, is producing right around 775 horsepower and 750 lb-ft torque. That might sound like a lot, but Rhy's rival Tajima will be bringing more than 900 horsepower to the fight. The one advantage Millen does have, however, is less weight. The PM580 weighs in at a little over 1900 pounds fully loaded, while Tajima's Suzuki is around 500 pounds heavier.

With every horsepower needing to motivate just under 2.5 pounds, it's obvious that the Hyundai-powered rocketship is fast. In fact, with its AWD system and sticky Toyo tires, it's just about one of the fastest things we've ever seen on four wheels that isn't powered by nitromethane and methanol. The first time Rhys fully mashed the throttle our jaws dropped at how fast the car could rocket across the pavement. It viciously accelerates from any speed and looks downright scary to drive. Under full throttle the front end actually lifts about three inches, nearly completely compressing the rear suspension system. After one of the first test sessions we asked Rhys what it was like to be behind the wheel. He answered, "It's not like anything I've ever driven!" "
Pikes Peak Prep: Autoblog joins Rhys Millen for Hyundai Genesis PM580 test session — Autoblog

Last edited:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
No that was an old iteration when he first started running pikes peak. It is just one Suzuki (basically a mazda KLZE) V6 that is turbocharged running all 4 wheels. Mid engined.

As you can tell, this is my favorite time of the year :) Leaving Friday, hopefully I'll be able to meet both of them this time.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
Yeah I found more info and edited it. Says 910hp from a 3.1L twin turbo V6.

Users who are viewing this thread