Review on Naturally Aspirated 522rwhp Build

germeezy1

Established Member
No Motec, this is a street car that can hit the track hopefully with some authority. I think that 7800 can be broken. I am not probably going to be the one to do it. between 6800 and 7800 there were various limiters built in and each one had to be overcome. 7800 is the wall though. Jon Lund has probably already done it. If he wants to take an interest in helping me, I would be more than happy.:)

BTW, Your motto "I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!"

That is my car.

Your car is one that I would love to try, and to feel under my uranium enforced right foot. I honestly wonder where this motor would stop making power given an extreme rev limit approaching 9,000 rpm.

No, did not up the compression. Have to drive on crummy California 91. JMS did the engine work and I credit them to a large degree. Deck plating and line boring and balancing and polishing the crank does make a difference. The engine runs so smooth that you can put your morning cup of coffee filled to the brim on top of the manifold and I can wind out the engine and it won't spill. Add that to Boss manifold/ported heads/cams/headers/x-pipe/cold air/tune and numbers happens, even on 91 octane. My car was no great dyno performer measuring only some 350 hp stock. My numbers and yours are repeatable by others. I just saw a complete forged bottom end for 1999. So it is getting more affordable to do this. Once the rev limiter gets solved there will be people winding forged bottom ends out to 8400 and making 650 flywheel horsepower. Paul Brown is getting to 8400 I have been told.

I can ask him but I am not sure if he would tell me. Are you talking about the race car driver Paul Brown?

Teej281

Established Member
Looking to do this type of engine for a swap into my 02 GT someday. It will be interesting to see how they are breaking the 7800rpm barrier if they haven't done so already.

D.T.R

Established Member
Haven't read the entire thread, but... what are the main highlights of this setup that makes over 500whp?
what's the compresion? cams? heads? what bolt ons exactly? etc..

Teej281

Established Member
I believe the cliffnotes are stock compression, ported heads and stage 2 cams, boss manifold, intake, longtubes, and tune. Through an mt82.

SirJAG

Established Member
how long till the MT82 goes POP!?

and just for my info: can someone explain to me how its possible to exceed the design limits of the Tranny that much and it still holds together?? Is it HP or T that is the limiting factor??

thanks,
JAG

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member

and just for my info: can someone explain to me how its possible to exceed the design limits of the Tranny that much and it still holds together?? Is it HP or T that is the limiting factor??

thanks,
JAG

Why do you say that? Supposedly the MT-82 will handle 700 lb/ft at the weight of these cars.. just parroting what I've heard here, so take it with a grain of salt.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member

thanks,
JAG

What are the design limits you speak of?

01bluesnake

Established Member
ok here are the design limits from the factory:

GETRAG Corporate Group - 6MTI500 TRANSMISSION

MT-82 = 6MTI500 TRANSMISSION

500nm = 396 ft-lbs T

i cannot find a HP rating...still digging

A trans will be rated in torque and weight of vehicle putting the load on the trans. The MT82 is rated at 396Ft lbs at a 9350 vehicle gross weight. If you cut that in half to 4675lbs were the mustang would fall under, the torque rating would easily double to 792FT lbs. I also believe that is the range that a few people have snapped the input shaft on them. Also take into effect they don't calculate a car dropping the clutch at 5K on slicks when rating them.

guarnibl

Established Member
This is a really, really impressive build. Thank you for sharing!

I have the FRPP 624 kit on my BOSS and putting down 530 rwhp at the moment. But I really really would love to drive a car with almost the same whp all motor. Just a whole different beast.

Users who are viewing this thread