Review on Naturally Aspirated 522rwhp Build

Highway Star

Established Member
Several people have expressed interest in a naturally aspirated Coyote build. The Dyno numbers have already been posted. You can see the car here Mustangs Daily - Ford Mustang news, new products, reviews and features and here 2011 Mustang GT Load Bearing Dyno Run 520 RWHP 7700RPM - YouTube 2011 Mustang GT Dyno Print Out 520 RWHP - YouTube

I wanted to share the changed characteristics of the car as a result of the build. First, it is a different car. There is not much left in the way of variable cam timing due the phase limiters. The car will remind you. For instance, if you are in third leisurly taking a corner at 1700 rpm drinking your coffee, the engine will belch, the car will stall and you will spill coffe all over your new work shirt. Of course that did not happen to me. One must now pay more attention when driving.

I cannot compare this car to anything else because there is nothing else that I have driven like it. The cams are not heard at idle but step into it at 3000 rpm and you will hear the blah,blah blah, sound followed quickly by a scream like she was getting eaten by a shark. All the way to 7700 rpm. Acceleration achieves hyperspace at about 4500 rpm. It is hard to keep off the upper rpm band, especially with this 3.73 gearing. It drives like a European Sports Car with a Muscle car sound. I don't know how many European Sports Cars have this kind of acceleration though. None that I could afford that is for sure.

The engine achieves it's torque peak at 6550 close to the former redline. The powerband is so wide . . .that this is just the most fun car I have ever driven. It does not have the neck snapping torque of the 2013 GT500, but this car is a different experience. It is essentially a souped up Boss.

The car is easy to drive around town as long as you pay attention. I went to Gt500 mufflers and they are the right note and not so loud as to attract unwanted attention. I have not gotten any times on it, but this car is very fast and mid to high 11's on street tires would not surprise me. The high redline lets me take advantage of gearing so much better than any other car I have had. I am just addicted to it now. If I could, I would push this right to 8400. The engine has been balanced and blueprinted and we are confident it could handle it.

Naturally aspiratd is more expensive but I think it is ultimately more rewarding because it really requires better driving to take advantage of the powerband.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Ive driven a shops 5.0 that also made 522rwhp N/A and I have to say there was not one characteristic about that car that made it drive ANY different then my brothers intake/tune 5.0. I dont know why you would have a stalling problem.

Last edited:

Highway Star

Established Member
Don't have a Stalling Problem.

Ive driven Revolution Automotives shop 5.0 that also made 522rwhp N/A and I have to say there was not one characteristic about that car that made it drive ANY different then my brothers intake/tune 5.0. I dont know why you would have a stalling problem.

First, I don't have a stalling problem. I might have been a little lower than 1700 when I stalled it. Point is that it would not have happened with my stock set up. Second, you drove it. You don't "drive it everyday. If you are stating that adding a manifold, cams, ported heads, valve springs and 112 horsepower does not change the driving characteristics of the car then I don't know what to tell you. My car likes low rpms less, just like you would expect.

I pointed out an idiosyncracy of the car and if Evolution's car has cams similar to mine then I am positive it displays the same characteristics. The car drives greats. Almost like stock but not quite, If you were to drive it casually for a day around town, the particular situation I described would probably not come up. But drive it regular like I do and you will learn that the engine is not as flexible as a stock engine and that is to be expeced and i like it. And there is no way around it.

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
I guess it all comes down to tuning. I know the shop has hours upon hours in their car so maybe they touched up some things you may not have.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Wow a 12 second consistent WOT blast on the dyno. Thats a long time to hold that RPM with little load.
Car looks and sounds great. 500+ hp NA is quite the accomplishment.
Forged internals ?

Teej281

Established Member
That thing sounds so nasty spinning to 7700rpm! Imagine if you went to more aggressive cams! You probably could tach it out past 8000rpm!

11dsgGT

Established Member
Looks like a feature car to me. Its only a matter of time until its in 5.0 & SF or MM&FF.

badass ride :rockon:

stang8psi

Established Member
I think he went from fly wheel HP numbers and compared to his new rwhp numbers. That would have been about 112hp. Probably meant closer to 150 fly wheel to fly wheel HP.

that would make his math way off or a generous dyno! even doung flywheel power at 412+ his 112 hp or if he ment 150 flywheel power it still doesn't add 520+ rwhp after drivetrain loss? I mean it's close to 500 hp but going off his claims thats just flywheel HP

Last edited:

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Damn 522 rwhp. But I am surprise the tq is only at 375 though. But that's my goal for my car is to make 500 rwhp N/A. I'm just not an SC fan.

Highway Star

Established Member
Your 5.0 made 410 to the tire stock?
Build was done in two stages. First, I put on a Brenspeed Stage Two Kit consisting of a cold air kit, Kooks headers, x-pipe, cat backs, tune. Stock the car measured 350 rwHp on the same loaded dyno as in the video. After Brenspeed Stage Two kit it was added it pulled 410rwhp. The internals are forged Wiseco Pistons, Manley Rods, original forged crank balanced, micro-polished and line bored.

As for the subtle jab about Evolution having a more proficient tune, I doubt it. This car is fine and is without fault as long as you respect what it is, which is a racing engine tuned for street use. It is docile and comes off idle easily. It just begs to be driven in the upper registers. Is that so wrong? If you had Anna Nicole Smith in her hayday before the drugs and she constantly begged you to have sex with her . . .tell me: Would you want to re-tune her so she didn't?

Also new cams won't help it spin faster, because it is the ecu that is holding it back. We can't overcome it yet. As to the torque numbers. All I can say is that it is a loaded dyno and does not give out generous number for HP or torque. Stock, this car pulled 350rwhp/312 torque. So in essence we added 172 rwhp without forced induction! The Coyote engine is amazing.

This car begs for high rpm and if you do not give it to her, she will only tolerate it for so long. :burnout::rockon:

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Build was done in two stages. First, I put on a Brenspeed Stage Two Kit consisting of a cold air kit, Kooks headers, x-pipe, cat backs, tune. Stock the car measured 350 rwHp on the same loaded dyno as in the video. After Brenspeed Stage Two kit it was added it pulled 410rwhp. The internals are forged Wiseco Pistons, Manley Rods, original forged crank balanced, micro-polished and line bored.

As for the subtle jab about Evolution having a more proficient tune, I doubt it. This car is fine and is without fault as long as you respect what it is, which is a racing engine tuned for street use. It is docile and comes off idle easily. It just begs to be driven in the upper registers. Is that so wrong? If you had Anna Nicole Smith in her hayday before the drugs and she constantly begged you to have sex with her . . .tell me: Would you want to re-tune her so she didn't?

Also new cams won't help it spin faster, because it is the ecu that is holding it back. We can't overcome it yet. As to the torque numbers. All I can say is that it is a loaded dyno and does not give out generous number for HP or torque. Stock, this car pulled 350rwhp/312 torque. So in essence we added 172 rwhp without forced induction! The Coyote engine is amazing.

This car begs for high rpm and if you do not give it to her, she will only tolerate it for so long. :burnout::rockon:

Any coyote begs for high rpm. :D

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I'd have to say that Anna Nicole Smith is much more tolerable now than when she was living. Great review, thanks for the info.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Wasn't knocking anything on the build there.

Very impressive numbers N/A.

Did you up the compression with the pistons? Seems like a huge gain if not with just the addition of the stage 2's and ported heads.

Gotta admit the cams give you the holy grin factor above 4k though :)

Highway Star

Established Member
Is a Motec in this cars future or do you think the 7800 rpm hard rev limiter will be broken?
No Motec, this is a street car that can hit the track hopefully with some authority. I think that 7800 can be broken. I am not probably going to be the one to do it. between 6800 and 7800 there were various limiters built in and each one had to be overcome. 7800 is the wall though. Jon Lund has probably already done it. If he wants to take an interest in helping me, I would be more than happy.:)

BTW, Your motto "I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!"

That is my car.

Last edited:

Highway Star

Established Member
Wasn't knocking anything on the build there.

Very impressive numbers N/A.

Did you up the compression with the pistons? Seems like a huge gain if not with just the addition of the stage 2's and ported heads.

Gotta admit the cams give you the holy grin factor above 4k though :)

No, did not up the compression. Have to drive on crummy California 91. JMS did the engine work and I credit them to a large degree. Deck plating and line boring and balancing and polishing the crank does make a difference. The engine runs so smooth that you can put your morning cup of coffee filled to the brim on top of the manifold and I can wind out the engine and it won't spill. Add that to Boss manifold/ported heads/cams/headers/x-pipe/cold air/tune and numbers happens, even on 91 octane. My car was no great dyno performer measuring only some 350 hp stock. My numbers and yours are repeatable by others. I just saw a complete forged bottom end for 1999. So it is getting more affordable to do this. Once the rev limiter gets solved there will be people winding forged bottom ends out to 8400 and making 650 flywheel horsepower. Paul Brown is getting to 8400 I have been told.

Users who are viewing this thread