Review: 2011 (non-SVTPP) GT500

03reptile

Established Member
I know I'll receive some criticism over not posting pictures yet, but the process is a little over my computer skills/abilities, so you'll have to use your imagination. Mind you, I'm moving from a 2007 GT500 that was basically stock with a JLT tune.
My first impression was the build quality is substantially improved over the 2007. The interior is much more "European" in its fit and finish. They've moved the speedo/tach gauge pod out so it is now easily seen with sunglasses on. The old, too deep, system was difficult to read on bright days with sunglasses. The leather appointments seem to be of a much higher quality and softer. I like the ambient light and glowing SVT sill plate,.. nice touch. The HIDs are nice but truthfully, I can't tell too much difference between the HIDs and the stock, halogen units on the 07. The HIDs are better by a margin. I have the basic car with no SVT package and for my driving needs, this car is perfect. My 2007 reminded me of the 66' GT350 which was rough and unforgiving. This suspension is very forgiving and belies the fact that it has a live rear axle. My 07 was not so. All suspension workings are much improved. The ride is more forgiving and smoother. Ford still can't seem to provide a lighted mirror on either visor which doesn't endear it to my wife. A niggling complaint, I know, but geez, how much could that cost to provide?
When I started it up I just said, WOW! In my opinion, Ford SVT absolutely got the sound of the mufflers just right; not too loud or quiet. HUGE improvement over my stock 07. It really sounds like Lt. Frank Bullit's car. Just awesome. I can't get enough of it. Going through the gears is a substantial grin!!The brakes are spot on and modulation is perfect. The overall driving impression is the car is just more buttoned down and confident. My 07 could be twitchy and the nose would bob & weave slightly when shifting & accelerating, hard, but this car has none of those foibles. Much more confidence building. They've done a commendable job with a car still possessing a live axle. The engine is strong and" seat of the pants" feeling says just a smidge less than the 07 with the JLT system; however, against the stock 07, its' a big improvement. I'm sure there will be a JLT for this car in the near future which will improve the HP quite a bit. I could easily live with this engine, stock. I like the steering , albeit, still just a little over-boosted, in my opinion. I use BMW's system as a benchmark. The clutch take-up and feel is PERFECT!!! No more first gear take-off shudder!!! KUDO's Ford!! The clutch pedal resistance is much easier than the 07. Its' just as easy to push in as my 2010 6 speed Fusion! Unbelievable how they did that. The shifter is much shorter and smooth, albeit a little "notchey" compared to the 07, which, by the way, I liked. I did notice I can't put my rear floor mats down as the carrier rails for the seats now extend further back. Oh well.
The engine bay is striking with the blue valve covers and certainly gets your attention. The aluminum heads and block suffered some white, powdery corrosion from sitting at AAI for so long, but it cleans off so I have another task! Again, fit and finish is very good. They put a pull tap on the spare tire lid so I can now lift it without issue. The little things, I tend to notice. The overall paint seems flawless (I'll know more when I clay-bar it today) The grabber blue LeMans stripes have no bubbles or imperfections and the car really "pops" against the performance white background. Wheels are beautiful and a BIG improvement over the 07's. The car seems slightly smaller than my 07, but I attribute that to the rounding and softening of the new body. Am getting used to the rear end and it is growing on me. The 4" pipes are great, but I will have to check Ford Racing or aftermarket for a rolled edge pipe to slip over the raw edged stock pipe. Used them on the 07 and they looked much nicer. The axle is painted black (no rust!!) and the differential cover is now aluminum(?) and finned for cooling.
Over-all, this is a greatly improved car compared with the 07. I think my money was well spent! Hope you all enjoyed my perspective on this great performance car.

Last edited:

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
Thanks a ton for the great writeup. Those of us that are awaiting ours surely enjoy hearing of others getting thiers!

I have to say it though...Post some pics!! :)

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
What about wheel hop? Is it present with the non-PP suspension.

Also, already has a cai (right?), so all you need is a tune to get back to 500 rwhp. Or a tune and a pulley, given the improved cooling!

Wish I knew what to do to my 08 to get that "Lt. Frank Bullitt" sound, not too loud, not too quiet.

Last edited:

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
What about wheel hop? Is it present with the non-PP suspension.

Also, already has a cai (right?), so all you need is a tune to get back to 500 rwhp. Or a tune and a pulley, given the improved cooling!

Wish I knew what to do to my 08 to get that "Lt. Frank Bullitt" sound, not too loud, not too quiet.

Get the borla exsust from Ford racing the sound is perfect!

FireDragon

Established Member
I think what made the 11 I test drove sound good was the H-pipe it has. It had a nice deep tone. Maybe a little less restrictive mufflers and it's perfect, IMO.

oldlugs

Established Member
...Wish I knew what to do to my 08 to get that "Lt. Frank Bullitt" sound, not too loud, not too quiet.

You might try the KR H pipe and a set of '08-'09 Bullitt mufflers... Just a thought. :)

Users who are viewing this thread