reverse on the freeway

shey love

Established Member
what's up guys. check this out. when my car is cold and I am driving easy bringing the car up to temperature i try and shift into 5th nice and easy and it grinds hard. thing is it's not fifth. it's reverse. the blocking mechanism or whatever stops the stick from going to far to the right once the car is moving doesn't work. further more it shouldn't allow me to enter the reverse gear doing 60.

yes i am 100% positive it is reverse. the weird thing is that it feels like 5th is not even there. can't find it at all when car is cold period. goes right to the reverse gear. has anyone heard of this before or know what might be wrong. i don't know anything about the internal workings of the transmision. thanks guys. shey.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, I've never heard of this happening before. You sure it's not a syncro issue? So it shifts fine when it is warm?

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
For what it's worth, when I first bought my Tremec 3550 for my LX, there was a lot of times when it would act like there was no 3rd or 4th gear. It would go from 2nd to 5th. It would do this while cold and while hot. It happened for about 2-3 months and hasn't done it since. :shrug:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
03-04 Cobra is T56, but I'm pretty certain that we don't have a reverse lock-out, it's a free for all. I remember when I first got my cobra (first stick car) I couldn't find 5th and it went right into reverse and before letting the clutch out, realized the stick was too far to the right, one mistake away from blowing it.

If you can't find 5th gear, well... it's right next to 3rd :p after 4th you should be able to push up and slighly tug to the right and it's there. Otherwise, take it into Ford, maybe your transmission is toast.

99Blkcobravert said:
If this is a T56, might check the fuse that powers the reverse lock-out solenoid.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I've never caught reverse. I'm fairly sure that there is an electronic reverse lockout, because mine won't let me have reverse if I'm rolling a little.

Reverse is a whole chunk and a reach over to the right, well beyond the 5th gate.

To me, the T56 has a rather close gate, and 5th is not as far to the right as it is on say a T5 or 3650. So don't push it over so far.

You may have a synchro problem, my trans failed at 8k miles, but I lost 2nd gear first.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
The T56 does have a Reverse Lockout. You should not be able to put it into reverse unless the car is running (key in the on position) and still (or at least less than 5MPH in my experience). I know I can't put it in Reverse if the car is off, but I can as soon as I start her up. For me at least, the same holds true once the car is moving.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The T56 does have a reverse lockout and reverse is accesible at all times. I don't have mine hooked up and still use reverse. It just takes alot of muscle to push through the solenoid.

shey love

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys. I've been driving this car for almost 3 years now and have had alot of fun with it. Shifted through all the gears without any problems and I've never had an issue trying to find 5th. I know right where it's at and I've never missed a 5th gear shift. But no matter how soft I try to shift it into 5th before the car is up to temperature it still trys to engage reverse. It's never done this before. It's like 5th isn't there. The stick will only go far right or back into 3rd or 4th. I don't have to push through any resistance, it just goes over, up and grinds. I take it back out and try again, same thing, again, same thing. Then usually 5th will open up about the 3rd try. If I take it back out and then try to get it into reverse I can't do it. Won't let me go far right. Very weird. Does this still sound like a solenoid or more like a synchro issue.

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
shey love said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I've been driving this car for almost 3 years now and have had alot of fun with it. Shifted through all the gears without any problems and I've never had an issue trying to find 5th. I know right where it's at and I've never missed a 5th gear shift. But no matter how soft I try to shift it into 5th before the car is up to temperature it still trys to engage reverse. It's never done this before. It's like 5th isn't there. The stick will only go far right or back into 3rd or 4th. I don't have to push through any resistance, it just goes over, up and grinds. I take it back out and try again, same thing, again, same thing. Then usually 5th will open up about the 3rd try. If I take it back out and then try to get it into reverse I can't do it. Won't let me go far right. Very weird. Does this still sound like a solenoid or more like a synchro issue.
That sounds like a pretty big problem to me and I would take it in to be looked at immediatly. Should not matter if it is cold or not, should be able to get 5'th gear and not engage reverse in the situation you are talking about. Get it looked at my man. :poke:

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
when i had my T-56 this same thing would happen. it took awhile to get use to it when i first got the tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread