Return style fuel system?

GHIG RTR

Banned
Now that my TT build is done and the tuning is basically done, I have a question about our return style system's. I was wondering what ya'll did with your FPDM's. We have mine turned off with the tune and was wondering if that's why my fuel gauge doesn't work anymore. The wire that goes from the gauge goes directly to the FPDM I think. By turning the FPDM off, did that basically cut off my fuel gauge? If so, all I would have to do is wire around the FPDM, right?

TRBO VNM

we have returnless systems, not return. but sounds like you installed a return setup. and by removing the FPDM, that should not have changed your gas gauge. not sure about turning it off in the tune. typically I just remove them and use the wire(i think green/yellow) from the harness as a trigger wire for the relays on the return pumps.

GHIG RTR

Banned
Yes, I decided to go return style. I got rid of the factory tank, and went with this:

Alumastealth Fuel Tank - Installation - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Tomorrow we are going to try to bypass where the fuel gauge wire goes to the FPDM. If that doesn't work, I think I may have a faulty sender. But, I'm not to sure it's the sender because we grounded the gauge wire and turned the ignition which should have caused the fuel gauge to go to full, but it didn't.

Last edited:

Mike@TCI

Established Member
Im going to read keep up on this thread... I don't recall exactly when it happend, but somewhere along the swap to return, I encountered this exact issue. I pulled the stock sender out to double check, and all looked fine. I'm not sure what all changed in the tune, but I believe the pump voltage table is all 14v, and the PIDS zero'd out. I wired the trigger on the relay from the original pump wire ( pink/black I believe) and the FPDM and all, is still in tact.

Please update and let me or anyone else know how you solved this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread