Return style fuel system, e85, base fuel pressure

b00stin

Established Member
Installing my return style fuel system on my 08 GT500 this weekend. Curious as to what people are setting their base fuel pressure at? 40psi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad Company

Established Member
Here is an interesting read on fuel pressure from Injector Dynamics that explains why you need to set base pressure correctly. Injector Dynamics fuel calculators for all products for Ford applications shows a base pressure of 43.5 psi

http://injectordynamics.com/articles/fuel-pressure-explained/

http://help.injectordynamics.com/support/solutions/articles/178417-ford-injector-characterization

Click on the particular injector size you're using and the calculator will open. You can than input the percentage for whether you're using a standard pump gasoline with 10% Ethanol, 100% gasoline or any percentage of Ethanol versus gasoline you're using at the time. With that it also allows you to modify base fuel pressure and give you the Stoichometric A/F Ratio. If you're using a large set of injectors your tuner can use this calculator to set the base pressure slightly lower to allow for a longer pulse width at idle for the injector you're using. If the injector is a little on the small size he can use this calculator to increase fuel pressure to get a higher volume of fuel into the engine with shorter pulse width signals from the PCM.

To me the base fuel rail fuel pressure for a return style fuel system on Ford engines should be set at 43.5 psi to match the fuel calculations of Injector Dynamics Excel Fuel Calculators. But your tuner can play with this calculator to have you raise and lower the base pressure slightly to gain an advantage in drive-ability and Hp if he needs to for a specific application using this calculator.

Your tuner is the only person that can truly answer this question for you. As he is the one that will be setting the tune up for you using the information in the fuel calculator provided by the injector manufacturer.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
My base is 40, but I also run 22psi. At normal boost levels go 43.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread