Return Style Fuel System and Smog Tests

project-pegasus

Established Member
Has anyone who's gone return style in California had any trouble passing the visual inspection when getting a Smog "Test Only" check? They say that any modification to the fuel/emission system that's not OEM or CARB exempted is technically illegal. But has anyone actually failed a test because they had a return line or were running AN hose up to the fuel rails?

01yellercobra

Established Member
And if they even notice it. I met a guy that had a whipple and upgraded fuel system. It was still returnless, but it had a -8 to aftermarket rails and a crossover at the front of the blower. He said the tech never even noticed the lines.

project-pegasus

Established Member
I'm worried about this because I may be doing an engine swap that'll require going to the ARB referee, and I'd think those guys are sure as sh*t looking for illegal stuff like that.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I'm worried about this because I may be doing an engine swap that'll require going to the ARB referee, and I'd think those guys are sure as sh*t looking for illegal stuff like that.

oh believe me there's no way in hell that would pass at a state ref. they look at everything and it has to be to the letter.

and to answer your first post i think you would be hard pressed for your return system to pass visual at a random smog station. unless you lucked into a real clueless one.

edit - one other thing at a state ref your car cannot even be over 90db so I hope you still have your stock catback! ask me how I know lol

Last edited:

project-pegasus

Established Member
oh believe me there's no way in hell that would pass at a state ref. they look at everything and it has to be to the letter.

and to answer your first post i think you would be hard pressed for your return system to pass visual at a random smog station. unless you lucked into a real clueless one.

edit - one other thing at a state ref your car cannot even be over 90db so I hope you still have your stock catback! ask me how I know lol

That's what I was afraid of. I guess the return system can wait. It would have been so much easier to do it now...
Thanks to everybody who's chimed in.

cj428mach

Established Member
Maybe try a Return system in a dead head configuration with stock rails, the only thing you'd have to do is disguise the feed line going into the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread