Retrofitting a '13 GT500 carbon fiber driveshaft to an '07-'12 GT500

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Nice write up Sam. Did u speak to DSS yet about the twisted shaft issue?

I haven't yet. This is actually the second write up on this I have done today, I lost everything when the site went down earlier today, so I had to redo it all. So between that, and being busy at work, I just haven't had a chance.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Your post provided me a pretty big grin, Sam. Thanks for the kind words.

Nice catch on the DSS shaft. Damn good timing. I hope the Ford shaft proves to be even more worthy. And it was good to hear your comment on smoothness.

FRPP...you better be ready for me at SEMA. We have a lot to talk about.

:)

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I hope the Ford shaft proves to be even more worthy. And it was good to hear your comment on smoothness.

Knowing Ford's testing processes, I have complete faith in the '13 shaft.

And have I mentioned it was smooth? It REALLY is. I didn't realize it wasn't until I did this swap.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My good friend JTB visited me from Toronto. He's got plenty of mods on his car including a DSS aluminum shaft.

He had the same comments regarding smoothness when he rode in my car.

moncho

Established Member
Sam, excellent write up! And unbelievable installation time, this is the difference of someone who knows what they are doing and well me.... Great feedback on the results and timely replacement of that failing shaft.

Cheers,
Ray

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
This scratch used to be straight:

2373008D-ACEC-4108-B116-809C1D64A9C1-1724-000001AFC9DF146E_zps94f2bfea.jpg

:eek:

Glad you caught this just in time! Also glad to see we will have someone who will really put the adapter flange to the test. If you can do that to a DSS aluminum shaft you will definitely be testing durability with the new setup as well! :thumbsup:

JLD

Established Member
Unless the run is at least five, the cost is a bit prohibitive. At that, they still aren't inexpensive. So if a few more of you guys out there are interested post up and I'll set the wheels in motion.

I will also take one

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Your post provided me a pretty big grin, Sam. Thanks for the kind words.

Nice catch on the DSS shaft. Damn good timing. I hope the Ford shaft proves to be even more worthy. And it was good to hear your comment on smoothness.

FRPP...you better be ready for me at SEMA. We have a lot to talk about.

:)

The ONE year I probably can't make it and you're there.... :fm::fm::fm:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Unless you'll be traveling through the mountains and valleys of Sofia Vergara, cancel everything and make it out there. We'll have a blast!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I would suggest to any drag racers running an aluminum drive shaft who is making over 600ft/lbs of torque, and running under 1.60 60's to inspect their drive shafts. And to draw a straight line down the length of it to watch for any twisting.

There are quite a few cars here making more torque than me, and running quicker 60 foots, who are running the same shaft I twisted. Maybe mine was just a fluke, but I'd hate for anyone to find out the hard way.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I see you guys interested in these - you don't go unnoticed. Two on this page. Five is really the minimum, so if we get there I'll talk to Tom about another run. Tell you what...if we get five I'll get five more done (or a total run of ten) and hang onto the extras for somebody else down the road if they want one. So post up if you are thinking about taking the plunge.

PRP

Established Member
I see you guys interested in these - you don't go unnoticed. Two on this page. Five is really the minimum, so if we get there I'll talk to Tom about another run. Tell you what...if we get five I'll get five more done (or a total run of ten) and hang onto the extras for somebody else down the road if they want one. So post up if you are thinking about taking the plunge.

I'm leaning towards going the OEM CF route now too so put me down as tentative.

I have a vibration at ~100mph that wasn't there with my first PST CF shaft but I need to validate that it is the shafter before condemning the replacement. If it is the shaft, I'm giving up on PST and going with the FoMoCo and adapter. I'll take my lumps now rather that pull more hair out.

Again, I can't say for sure either way if it's the PST shaft or not, not just yet but since the vibe wasn't there before and it is now...

Phill

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Good for you Ray. You were there in the beginning and expressed interest right away. I'm very happy that the results have been all good. I never considered any reduction in cabin noise but since you noticed it that's fantastic.

I've asked if another small run can be done.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Just had another run of ten done. I'll chase each tapped hole to ensure they are ready to go and get the bolts for each. If you'd like to be able to add the '13/'14 carbon fiber driveshaft to your '07-'12, this is the ticket.

I should have an invoice tomorrow and can then come up with the price for each.

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread