Reservoir Doesnt Allow Gas Boats...

03Saleen

Termin8
Established Member
I live in a community that has a large reservoir that we use for drinking water that does not allow gas boats or jet skis for recreational purposes (Only electric boats). I know there is a concern that gas will contaminate the water, but with modern day technology and reverse osmosis I don't see that as an issue. Our once thriving community has lost multiple restaurants and other businesses as result of the recession. I feel allowing gas boats/jet skis will help revitalize the community with new businesses and tourism dollars for the current businesses. I want to find a way to petition the community to allow gas vehicles, does anyone have any kind of experience with this and what the first steps are?

Last edited:

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I work for a regional wholesale provider of water and understand your question, as we just spent 100 million to build our own dam and have created a 6 billion gallon reservoir. Ours is an electric only also with about 400 acres total covered area and 15 miles of shoreline.

First, how much water does the reservoir provide a day? R.O. is an incredible filtering tool depending on the needs. In our case, we supply roughly 100 million gallons per day to the public and the cost/benefit ratio is out of the question at this time considering the amount of units we would need to sustain that amount when factoring unit cost, down time for maintenance, and the roughly 40% on average efficiency range.

Second, and main thing, to consider is the fact that depending on whether you are a primacy state, you answer to the EPA or in our case the EPD. Either way, they will be the ultimate factor as to what is permitted on the reservoir if it supplies the public with drinking water per the federal SDWA (depending on population supplied). You've got a long, uphill battle with the Feds. In other words, I would say you are shit out of luck.

*EDIT* Not to mention, there is no telling what aquatic life you have in your reservoir. Depending on the environmental impacts of said gas vehicles in relation to particular species of life, that may be the reason behind the ban. We have to monitor out discharge into the river very closely, as a minute change in temperature & ph can cause a massive kill, especially considering that we have some endangered species of fish inhabiting our drainage basin. How big is this reservoir BTW? There are a ton of details that would have to be known.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting topic. I did a Google search and found that most reservoirs don't allow gas engined watercraft, but some do with restrictions to the size of the motor. Case in point was the northwest corner of NJ, in Hunterdon Warren counties. They have three reservoirs. Couldn't find the size of the first, but the second has 11 billion gallons and the third has 55 billion gallons. Gas powered boats (with a single 9.9 hp engine limit) are allowed on the 2nd and 3rd but only electric motors are allowed on the primary reservoir. I wonder why gas engines are allowed on two of the three.

I agree that if the OP is trying to change the regulations for his reservoir it would be just about impossible because you're dealing with the feds.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
There are lakes that do this as well. In Orange county (about 80 miles from Richmond) "Lake Orange" does not allow them. I guess it's all about preservation. Plus noises, riffs and dangerous people..

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My sister is a big organic supporter and only buys that stuff.

I told her I am not buying into to the organics hype. I tell her, "when you think about the life span of man when we only ate organic foods we only lived to what, 45-50 years old or something like that?" I tell her preservatives is what is making us live longer and the steroids make the food taste better.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Here it is. Even though I live in a very conservative area, the people running the conservation are extremely liberal. I understand reducing pollutants but that's everything to them.

County of Chesterfield, VA | Swift Creek Reservoir and Watershed - Environmental Engineering

How shallow is that sucker? It's got over 4 times the area of ours at roughly the same, or less, capacity. I have not researched this issue in depth, nor do I have first hand experience in this exact issue when it comes to the Feds...but I would wonder if there is even the possibility of allowing gas operated vehicles like you are suggesting. Possibly small engines but I would imagine that upon submittal for creation of the reservoir, it clearly had to state its intended purposes, etc, etc. I wonder if it's even possible. There are so many loopholes and hoops to jump through it's ridiculous. Try talking to the board first, it's the best place to start this endeavor.

scottminot

Established Member
The majority of dams around my area do not allow gas powered boats. Most are electric motors only.
I bought a fishing kayak two years ago and it's what I use nearly every weekend.
It sucks sometimes but I don't have room at home to store a larger boat/trailer.

Two of the local reservoirs are used for drinking water. One is electric only and the other does not allow anything on it at all, no fishing or swimming either. I guess it's all precautionary. I don't understand why all the other bodies of water are restricted though. Never looked into it.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Glad that Oregon has enough lakes to allow anythingon them as far as engines go, even though the water is used for drinking as well...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
so many reservoirs around here and none of them are restricted. I do believe one has outlawed 2-stroke engines (mostly older jetskis) but thats about it.

theres one in the bay area up by 17 thats restricted to no gas engines irrc.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
be glad you don't live in NY where the resiviors are no power at all!

so it's Oars, paddles or damn sails!

Users who are viewing this thread