Replacing pinion seal w/o dropping IRS carrier?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
My pinion seal on my '99 Cobra is leaking and I've heard that there is a way to replace it w/o removing the carrier by using a solid (non-crush) collar, marking the nut before removal, and tightening with an inch-lb wrench. Obviously there is more to it, but these were the absolute bare bones of the discussion and wanted to see if it was in fact possible to do it w/o dropping the IRS.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it is def possible, and in fact it is usual practice to replace the seal while leaving the center section in place.

if the gears were originally built with a solid spacer, then you don't even have to worry about marking the nut or the preload.

but most gearsets do not have them (def not factory), so you would have to be sure to set the same preload after replacing the seal.

if you wanted to add a solid spacer to a gearset that wasn't originally built with it, then you would have to remove the center section and re-do the gears.

speedoflife

Established Member
I replaced a leaky pinion seal with this method 2500 miles ago (lots of spirited driving/donuts/etc) and no problems. No noise, no leak, and she feels fine.

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
The car has 4.10s and I think I just used the FRPP trak-lok kit when I had the shop install them, so I assume there is no solid spacer, but if the only main diff is just marking and measuring preload first, I'll take that over dropping the center section :p

Thanks!

speedoflife

Established Member
Many people shortcut measuring preload and just mark it and guess. So I'd say you're method will work just fine! Good luck and have fun getting rid of the little puddle of diff fluid! I know it felt good when I didn't have to see it anymore

nater78

Nater78
Established Member
I did mine about 10k ago. Make sure you get a sleeve for your pinion yoke. I had to do mine a second time. No issues since.

Users who are viewing this thread