Replacing mustang 5.0 with a F150 5.0

mechanicboy

Established Member
Would the ECU adapt without throwing any codes? Obviously it would have less power. The intake has less lift and duration and it has 10.5 compression. Mustang headers and everything else would be reused.

ExTurbo

Established Member
Would the ECU adapt without throwing any codes? Obviously it would have less power. The intake has less lift and duration and it has 10.5 compression. Mustang headers and everything else would be reused.

ok i'll bite, whats the point of this? getting the motor for free? I cant answer your question, but my best educated guess is you'd need a PCM for an F150, I highly doubt youd be able to reuse the stock computer.

mechanicboy

Established Member
ok i'll bite, whats the point of this? getting the motor for free? I cant answer your question, but my best educated guess is you'd need a PCM for an F150, I highly doubt youd be able to reuse the stock computer.

I might have a swap lined up. Friend of mine is getting ride of his 13' mustang, I have a 12' F150 5.0. I took all his mods off and joked that he should let me swap ands as his has an oil pump that I can use the mmr gears in, has the GT intake cams I want, and has 30k less miles. He said he'd let me do it but is concerned about his ECU taking to the truck engine (I would retune my F150). My thought was it would probably work because the stock ECU doesn't throw codes for mods that add airflow, so I'd think a little less it could manage too.

02reaper

Established Member
The tune will need to be changed on both vehicles. There's quite a few things in the tune for both that would need changing.

Voltwings

Established Member
So he's going to trade his car in with your "inferior" 5.0 truck motor? Some poor sap is gonna buy that car and wonder why he's slower than everyone. That's some bad juju man, I'd steer clear.

stang910

Established Member
I'm not sure why you want to do this swap. If you really wanted GT cams I'm sure you could find some dirt cheap and if not the Boss cams are fairly cheap new. As for the compression just pulley down some to make up the difference.

mechanicboy

Established Member
You guys are right. I'd still need to upgrade the oil pump gears anyway and I realized I like having the piston oil squirters because I have the truck and deal with more heat.

I still want the GT intake cams. Where's the best place to get them? Every time I seem to find a set they are sold before I can buy them.I don't want the boss exhaust cams as the low throttle torque loss would not be a good fit for me.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You guys are right. I'd still need to upgrade the oil pump gears anyway and I realized I like having the piston oil squirters because I have the truck and deal with more heat.

I still want the GT intake cams. Where's the best place to get them? Every time I seem to find a set they are sold before I can buy them.I don't want the boss exhaust cams as the low throttle torque loss would not be a good fit for me.

Contact MMR or JPC Racing and see if they have any factory cams lying around.

Stang Lover

Established Member
So he's going to trade his car in with your "inferior" 5.0 truck motor? Some poor sap is gonna buy that car and wonder why he's slower than everyone. That's some bad juju man, I'd steer clear.

I'd hate to be that guy that buys it.

hand-filer

Established Member
That's pretty Jewish of u and your friend

images.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread