Replacing Fuel Pump in '99 Cobra

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
I know that there is a thread on here on how to do this, but I couldn't find it today to link to it. I thought I would post a few pics and what I ran into for folks who have not done this task before. Seems that many of us have had pumps go bad over the last weeks.

I purchased a complete pump assy from Speed Concepts after contacting "006" a fellow member on this board. Great price and no fussing with individual parts. Plug and play.

Suggest draining tank to at least 50%. I had issues with gas coming out due to the angle the tank was at with a full tank. I siphoned from the top and gave the fuel to my wife's minivan. What a waste of 93 octane.

1 bolt on each strap needs to be removed to lower the tank. The one on the left is a pain to get to. I ended up using a 1/4" extension with 1/4" universal to get it out. Wobble extension was suggested also, but I don't have one. 3/8" extension and ujoint were too big to get the right angle. These are 13 mm heads.

I removed the 3 - 10 mm headed bolts at the gas fill for some play, but not sure if it was really needed.

I had two jacks under the tank to help balance it, but found it not to be a problem. If you lower the tank, the left side will drop lower than the right and you will have plenty of room to remove the pump. No need to drop it all the way out, meaning no messing with the grommets and such.

Two electrical connections to remove. One behind the tank on the car and one on the tank that connects to the pump harness.

The 3/8" fuel line is a PITA. The trick, for me, is to make sure you have the line fully locked before you engage the tool. The tool should go in far and the line will easily come out. If you are pulling on the line with all your might and it isn't moving, it is because the tool isn't in all the way. Push the fuel line back on the pump tight and re-insert the tool. You will know when you got it. I ended up getting a metal version of the tool. I was not having luck with my trusty plastic set that I have used for years.

The basket comes out by pressing two plastic clips and pulling out. Now...that basket is full of fuel. I made a mess. Be prepared if you are tipping it out, like I did.

Of course, remove the negative battery cable before you start and be sure there is no pressure in the line first.

I hope these pics help out. Pictures always seem to help me out. After install and turning the key 3 times to prime, the car fired right up.

fp1.jpg

fp2.jpg

fp3.jpg

fp4.jpg

fp5.jpg

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
:rockon:

Don, that 2 day delivery worked out better than I hoped. I was concerned that they would not deliver on New Years eve.

No pics of the new pump install? :shrug:

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Are the aviators and focus pumps the biggest we can go on our cars without modifying anything. Is there like any drop in pump that can support 500-600 rwhp?

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
What's the "tool" for the fuel line? I'm gonna swap the fuel pump soon, is this tool something that's mandatory..?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Last edited:

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
Wow...great price for Matco tools. The silver one is like the one I used. I bought it at Advance Auto (just 2 miles from the house). The plastic ones usually are not a problem though.

I forgot to change the fuel filter so when I do that, I will see how well that tool works on it. I am waiting until we are warmer than the 20's though.

Like 006 said, it is a stock OEM replacement just like the picture he included. I appreciate you going out of your way to get that to me quickly! I would have taken pictures of the new one, but the battery in the camera went dead. I figured if you can see how it comes out, you can figure out how to drop the new one in though.

I considered putting in a Focus pump, but with the good price on the stock pump complete, I just went with something I knew I would have no issues with. I will upgrade "if" I need to in the future. My car is bone stock, other than MM SFCs at this time.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Are the aviators and focus pumps the biggest we can go on our cars without modifying anything. Is there like any drop in pump that can support 500-600 rwhp?

Yea an avi or focus pump and a bap would be the best you could get. Without modifications. Though you *might* have to drill a few holes in the basket.

It was a new OEM pump like this:

Ah good deal.

vita

Established Member
MrBrain - good find. Ill have to check into the link!

Don't wanna sound like a newb, but, "MM SFC's"?

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
The same set is $15.90 at matcotools.com :shrug:

Back when I worked at a dealer, Matco had some pretty good tools but a little pricey. Not nearly as bad as Snap On though. I bought a few things from them back in '87 and still have them. They had fuel line tools at Advance for more with less, so I was just surprised to see it that cheap. That has got to be made in China for that price.

Users who are viewing this thread