Replacing door speakers....what should I buy?

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
I am considering replacing the audio system in the Cobra. Head unit, amps, and crossovers are pretty straight forward but I am stuck on speakers.

It seems that the stock locations are not optimum: the tweeter is too far from the woofer --bad imaging.

Does anyone have a creative solution?

I know that a few of you have already replaced the Mach460 so I am sure there are alternatives to the OEM locations.

Thanks

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I bought 2 sets of polk audio dx components. In the front I put the 5.25 in the door with an 6x8 to 5.25 adapter and the tweeter in the stock tweeter place.

In the rear I made a bracket to adapt the6x8 holt to 5.25 and I mounted the tweeter to that backet.

This is the rear bracket...
componets.jpg

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
I like the swivel tweeter you put in the back, that's a good tip. Did you have to play with the aiming much or do you just bounce the sound off the back glass?

How do the door speakers sound? Are you using the stock amp/head unit?

BTW Mike, if that is a pic of you I would suggest backing off a bit on the estrogen therapy.:eek:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Jon
I like the swivel tweeter you put in the back, that's a good tip. Did you have to play with the aiming much or do you just bounce the sound off the back glass?

How do the door speakers sound? Are you using the stock amp/head unit?

BTW Mike, if that is a pic of you I would suggest backing off a bit on the estrogen therapy.:eek:

Here is the amp and crossovers..

dynamat_trunk1.jpg

That isn't me in the pic. That my old whore gf.:lol:

Thw speakers sound great. I cross over the signal going to the seperates at 120hz and up and let the component cossovers decide what freqs go to what speaker.

I have a 12'' sub in a sealed box on the 5th channel crossed over at 120 and down.

I just bounce the sound off the rear glass.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Oh yeah, I remember your setup!

Where do you put the sealed sub?

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Well I am a Boston Acoustics fan myself. I am going to put my Pro 6.5 set in the door (tweeter in the stock location). But if you are looking for the best drop in for that location get the Boston RC820's (link). They drop right in to the door and tweeter locations, and/or the rear deck. The best part is the crossovers have a jumper to adjust the frequency response of the system based on placement and an additional jumper to adjust the volume of the tweeter (lower it because it is closer to you than the woofer). Here is a pic of the system. Trust me Bostons kick @$$, you wont be disappointed. Also they are not as expensive as listed on the page. You can pick up a set for just under $200.

Good luck,

Kyle

Last edited:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I bought 2 sets of polk audio dx components. In the front I put the 5.25 in the door with an 6x8 to 5.25 adapter and the tweeter in the stock tweeter place.

In the rear I made a bracket to adapt the6x8 holt to 5.25 and I mounted the tweeter to that backet.

This is the rear bracket...
componets.jpg

I have the same speakers and amp in my van :coolman:

I'ts like driving in a concert hall.

-Brian

jonas

Established Member
im going focals
utopia 136w front
135w rear deck

Pend your money on your speakers and u can cheap out the headunit and anmp a bit. The sound quality "bpttleneck" in most peoples setups tend to be speakers. you can put these in a stock system with a sub and be done with it (mustangworld has a how to on adding a sub to a 460.

I will be going all out soon. I just spend a few g's on syspension and boltons and need to recoup. want to do a chip and pulley next. and maybe even a kenne bell before the sound

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Originally posted by Vindication
I'm running Boston Z6s in the front. Pretty nice I'd say.

Have you ever had the Pros? I would like to hear some ones thoughts on both sets. I was considering upgrading to the Z6s but don't think there would be much difference, but still haven't ruled it out.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
I have both the Boston 6.5" Pro set and the 5.25" Pro set and could not be happier. I started out a few years ago with the Rally series and was totally impressed with those....but the Pro series are well worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. They are in my truck right now being run by an Alpine amp pushing about 60W RMS/channel to them. They rock!

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by Vindication
I'm running Boston Z6s in the front. Pretty nice I'd say.

Are those 6 1/2s? I'm trying to find out if my Rockford Fosgate 6 1/2s will fit in the doors. You guys have some nice stuff in your vehicles. Boston Acoustics, Focals, MBQuart. All great speakers!

SSCOBRA03

Established Member
I love clear loud music and Polk Audio are the best I've ever heard. I have them in the doors of my truck and they are bad A55

bskinner

door speakers

i have focals in my cheverolet extended cab and when i tell you it like being there in person it is just that. but if you should buy them do it on the internet or you will overpay. im funny about my music too so it took a lot to impress me but the focals are the best you can buy in my opinion. the more power you put to them the more they scream............... let us know what you get

jonas

Established Member
Originally posted by Snake Eyes
Have you ever had the Pros? I would like to hear some ones thoughts on both sets. I was considering upgrading to the Z6s but don't think there would be much difference, but still haven't ruled it out.

i had boston pro 6.4.3 in my doors in my 93 gt and loved em

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I know they are great. I want to know if any one has had the Pro 6.5s and the Z6, and if they think that the Zs were that much better. I currently have the Pro 6.5s but have never heard the Z6s and am unsure if I should upgrade or not.

Users who are viewing this thread