Replacement tires

ArkLightning

Established Member
Noticed my original Goodyear F1's on the front are wearing on the inside shoulders pretty good so time for new tires (yes, I know overdue for new tires) and an alignment. I went to Tire Rack just to check on what's available and it said they had nothing in the stock 295/45-18 available. Great.

Those still running stock rims - what are you using for replacement tires?

ArkLightning

Established Member
Looked at Hancock's website and didn't find anything close to 295/45-18. i don't want a lower profile tire as the stock ones already look too small in the wheel wells. I have found some Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R radials in 28x12.00R18LT that appear to be very close. If nothing else comes along I'll probably go with them.

Dusten

Established Member
Hankook has a 295/45...
Don't buy them here, this was just the first link I found. I ran them on my first lightning, good wear, work in the rain, no traction on the rear. http://m.sears.com/hankook-ventus-st-rh06-tire-295-45r18v/p-09535861000P

Nitto has a nt555 and nt05 in the correct size, I've run both. The nt05 is stickier but won't last as long than the 555. Toyo also has a proxes in the correct size.

ArkLightning

Established Member
Well, I stand corrected. Don't understand why Hancock's site doesn't list them or Tire Rack stock them but I did find them at several places in addition to Sears.

Thanks

Dusten

Established Member
NT05r for my gen 1

a1c72f53bceea1f2dad3a479a76ce564.jpg

843459036af476c67f958e16243b2785.jpg

Nt05 on my gen 2
d1705498beadf7f771530dd28121990d.jpg

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Noticed my original Goodyear F1's on the front are wearing on the inside shoulders pretty good so time for new tires (yes, I know overdue for new tires) and an alignment. I went to Tire Rack just to check on what's available and it said they had nothing in the stock 295/45-18 available. Great.

Those still running stock rims - what are you using for replacement tires?

If your Goodyears aren't too old.... you could have the tires "flipped" on the rim so there is tread on the inside if you like the Goodyears...

I've ran Toyo's for 8 years on my L but I had to "flip" them so I could get the most out of them.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-st-ii-sport-truck-all-season-tires?cat=10

I had to "play" with the air pressure to maximize traction in the rear & front [for MPG too] though.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Another option is to store your original 18's & go to Late Model Restoration- Order a set of their 20's.

There's a whole lot more options in 295/40R20's..... This is the route I did...... just hate that there are only Hankooks, Nittos or Toyos availabe in 295/45R18 now....

Just a thought....

jayk17

Established Member
Just go my NT555's from 4WO|Click here for Tires last week. So far I like the grip and handling. Smooth and quiet on pavement. Haven't had them on wet roads so can't tell yet if they have the tendency to hydroplane.

Last edited:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
My Lightning had Hankooks on it when I bought it, and they surprisingly were not a bad tire at all. I even managed to pull a 1.82 60' on them. But I have always liked Nittos, so when it was time for new tires I replaced them with N555's & NT555R's.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Ok so after owning three Gen II's my favorite all around tire (daily driver/inclement weather/good lasting/low sound/good weather traction) is the Toyo Proxes. They feel much higher quality than the Hankooks and are better than every tire I've used on the L in the rain and we all know the struggles with this truck and some tires in the rain. Don't worry, normal nice weather traction is still great with the Toyo's. I'm so happy with them I'm going to try to find the equivalent tire for my Gen 5 Camaro....

Last edited:

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
I used to run the Stock Goodyear on the front with a 305 Nitto 555 DR in the rear, it was a good combo and I liked it. After cycling through all of my good pairs of stock GY's I switch to a matched set of Nitto 555's for commuting duties.

I know the 555 has a huge following, but between the Lightning and my GT500 running them I will be selecting a different options for both vehicles on my next set.

Here's why:

Lightning: 1. When the 555's sit for a more than a few days they tend to "flat spot" and will take a number of highway miles to warm up and smooth back out. 2. The shoulders cup and scrub away with the factory wheel alignment (checked and in spec upon installation) much faster and more aggressively than the stock GY's. Points 1 & 2 compound to make for a noisy tire. 3. The side wall is much softer compared to the stock GY's as noted when mounting them on rims and with road holding. During initial turn in, you will feel the front "roll over" just a bit, then bite, and then wallow back as you exit the turn. 4. Overall traction is acceptable during acceleration and braking, but not earth shattering.

None of the above are huge problems on their own, but stacked together, makes for a tire that doesn't really meet my expectations, and availability in Canada has become somewhat problematic. My next set will probably be from Nitto's parent company Toyo, or failing that, Hankook.

GT500: Points #1,2, and 3 still apply, but #4 for the Shelby is wet traction. Without the additional weight over the front axle, the GT500 is severely prone to hydroplaning with 555's. The DR equipped rear is stable, but only a small amount of water will lift the front end at highway speeds (60 mph). I cannot properly describe in words just how easily these things hydroplane. These tires are almost as bad as the old Kumho Escta MX's I ran on my 1995 GTS, and reducing my wet driving speed to 50 MPH is pretty much par for the course. By direct comparison, I ran the OEM Good Year F1 Supercar's until they were worn, and while they were a terrible tire for acceleration, they were excellent in the rain. In 2009 I road raced the car on wet track/rain days with great confidence, later when I mounted a 555 DR on the rear for street duty I found the front end stable and rain was a non-event.

Once the 555's went on the front and I experienced some wet weather, I began to regret my tire choice for that application. I still think the 555 DR's are great at what they do, but do not trust the 555 as a steer tire. I am not sure what will come after the Nitto for the GT500, I probably have another year or two of life left to figure that out.

Of course your mileage may vary, but those are my experiences with Nitto 555's vs others, over 80,000 miles of combined driving with both vehicles.

* None of the vehicles were used in anything resembling cold or winter driving with the tires described above.*

Z06/SVT

Established Member
I too am running the 555's.... Planning on doing the new Nitto 555G2's ( @ least on the rear) once they hit the market...

Users who are viewing this thread