replacement cats? '12 3.5 ecoboost f150

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
anyone have any experiences good or bad?

mine is throwing lights for the driver side cat and going off the log confident it's bad. I dont think I could get an OEM cat if I wanted to (over $600 for driver side and $800 for passenger). With 150k miles seems like I should probably do both sides and be done with it.

I don't care anything about noise factor, I'm fine with as quiet as possible. Really looking for something with good fitment that hopefully won't throw cat monitor codes without having to use spacers/non-foulers

efurlong

Established Member
I've been through this twice in the last two years...not an F150, but both fords. I did a ton of research & ended up purchasing OEM Ford cats from Tasca. Every single other cat on the marked was either Chinese or had other issues. Got a great price from Steve (from this forum). Worked out great for me.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I've been through this twice in the last two years...not an F150, but both fords. I did a ton of research & ended up purchasing OEM Ford cats from Tasca. Every single other cat on the marked was either Chinese or had other issues. Got a great price from Steve (from this forum). Worked out great for me.
im not even sure you can get OEM cats right now, would have to double check.

I was leaning towards a midpipe using magnaflow cats but will continue to look around. I dont know if it's poor quality of the cats or something with these engines that the failure rates are so high.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Delete them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dude, if he deletes his cats the sea caps will melt and flood much of the coast.
Op, if you drive an EV you won’t have to worry about catalytic converters failing
1682632203509.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with Patrick. You're in Florida. Is it front or rears Jerry? My 18 is constantly firing codes for the rears.
I only have one cat per side and it’s the rear sensor for the driver side

Deleting them - 1) don’t know anybody to turn the lights off and 2) this thing will sound like Pete Buttigieg after a bender at Taco Bell

Part of the reason to buy the v6 is because knowing it would sound like dog shit would keep me from spending money on intake and exhaust mods

Recon

Established Member
Save yourself the trouble, get the ford converters. The aftermarket is not as reliable on their variants as they used to be. We deal with this crap quite often. It’s more money but the lack of a headache is worth it.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
There are no OE cats available, was told it looks like a minimum of 6 weeks to ship from the manufacturer. Which fits with what I've seen guys with new trucks saying about waiting on replacements which has rolled on to 6 months + for some.

patc84

Established Member

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya, I just bought their intercooler actually. Ive seen posts their clamps are a little hit or miss on sealing. I wrote it down at home, theirs another midpipe out there that last time I looked used Magnaflow cats which seem to have a good rep.

If go aftermarket downpipes I'll probably just go around and run spacers/non-foulers from the start.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I ended up with the SPD Down pipes since I cannot get any kind of clue on when an OE might be in stock. I went ahead and ordered the non-foulers/spacers, both front O2 and one new rear monitor (I already replaced one 20-30k ago, so not replacing it again).

someone did a DAMN good job of repackaging a used O2 sensor and sent it back to Rock Auto, who then sent it to me. The sensor was missing the protective cap and there was black soot all inside the back...assholes

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
SPD catted down pipes with their standard cats are on. Overall quality was pretty good, I have my doubts about the clamps they use working in the long term. The exhaust volume/tone didn't really change at idle or normal driving, it's a definitely a little louder at WOT.

On a lift two of us had the stock exhaust off in around 20 minutes, I put the new stuff in with the new sensors and all in another hour or so.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
so I thought I'd get ahead of potential issues and put non-foulers in at the start, which was a mistake. You have to buy 4, drill out 2 of them so you have enough depth to seat the rear O2 sensor. I was getting a P2096 “Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean (Bank 1)" after install. The front widebands were reading fine, the rear sensor was sayin it was lean which apparently means you have a leak somewhere. The only place on this system would be at a weld or sensor itself. The crappy crush seals with the non-foulers are a little too big in diameter so they dont seat square causing one side to crush but no the other.

I ended up removing the non-foulers all together, I've put over 1,500 miles on it since then with no codes. So overall the SPD downpipes seem like a reasonable choice. You can hear a little more turbo noise at startup and the exhaust is a little louder at WOT but the rest of the time it sounds like stock, which is what I wanted since these things sound like poo

Users who are viewing this thread