Replacement axles for IRS

bluesnake01vert

Established Member
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site and have read some on IRS halfshafts from DSS but have not seen anything on where to get stock replacement halfshafts.
Where can I purchase stock replacements for my 01?

Thanks!

cobraracer46

Banned
The DSS shafts can fail under hard use and I belive that they are no longer available in the aftermarket. The 01 Cobra IRS shafts are apparently discontinued from Ford. The Stronger 03-04 Cobra IRS shafts are a direct bolt on for the 01 Cobra's so that would be the part to use as long as it is still available.

blacksvt99

Established Member
order 03/04 cobra axles thru tousley ford just finshed ordering a set for mine for a reasonable price

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Yes we are screwed with 28 spline unless we buy a Terminator IRS or swap to a SRA. I really don't want to swap to a SRA but that would be the cheapest route for us 99 guys :(

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Yes we are screwed with 28 spline unless we buy a Terminator IRS or swap to a SRA. I really don't want to swap to a SRA but that would be the cheapest route for us 99 guys :(

Not exactly, you can buy replacement axles from O'relys Auto Parts store, they run you like $80 with you including the core. Too bad they actually have a hardened axle shafts for us 28 spline people, they did before but they got discontinued.

bluesnake01vert

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'll be ordering 03-04 axles from the places you mentioned. I have ac427's kit coming as well.
I was thinking of possibly looking into having the new ones cryo-treated. It works really well for strengthening other parts - rods, cranks, etc. Has anyone ever tried or heard of this?

darkcobra - I think for the 99 guys you can buy a 31 spline diff from Ford for a couple hundred bucks and then get the 03-04 axles and not have to get the complete 03-04 IRS assembly or go to an SRA

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Thanks guys, I'll be ordering 03-04 axles from the places you mentioned. I have ac427's kit coming as well.
I was thinking of possibly looking into having the new ones cryo-treated. It works really well for strengthening other parts - rods, cranks, etc. Has anyone ever tried or heard of this?

darkcobra - I think for the 99 guys you can buy a 31 spline diff from Ford for a couple hundred bucks and then get the 03-04 axles and not have to get the complete 03-04 IRS assembly or go to an SRA

Ya I know you can do that but it is a pain but it push comes to shove I may be doing that :beer: I was just saying it isn't the cheapest route for us 99' guys :bash:

I wasn't saying my first post as in if our IRS breaks then we are SOL:thumbsup:

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I don't think they make them anymore, but I have Raxle halfshafts. They're WAY beefier than the stockers and weren't bad price wise either.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I don't think they make them anymore, but I have Raxle halfshafts. They're WAY beefier than the stockers and weren't bad price wise either.

How much were they when you bought them and did you have to change your carrier to a 31 spline?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
They have 28 spline inners. I think I still have the receipt somewhere, but I think they were in the $500 range?

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Guess that isn't too bad :dw: Still higher than anything with a SRA but if push comes to shove I would love to buy new Half Shafts so I could keep my IRS :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread