replaced the fuel filter.

grant007

Established Member
holy cow, there was alot of crap flowing back out of the filter. hopefully the cause of my fuel pressure dropping at critial times. was gonna PIC it but i could only get one side off at a time. but left a real dirty brown spot on the driveway i gotta clean up now. OH! SAFTY FIRST- positivly support your vehicle before getting under it. my jack slipped off an edge under the frame rail. scared the crap out of me because i was under it. I was putting on the summer rims and tires and went ahead and replaced the fuel filter today.. safety. im so lucky.

ToolMan3S

Established Member
Always always always use jack stands, I've been on 2 calls in my my 27 years in the FD where someone was killed by a falling car and several where people got lucky and were just injured.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
There was an SVTP member that was replacing his clutch when the jack/jack stands collapsed and killed him.

This happened about an year ago.

:(

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
That's my bad, I read it too quickly and thought I saw where it was on stands.

Yeah, definitely need it firmly supported on stands, the jack by itself isn't worth a damn.

99BlownVert

Established Member
I remember, that was awful, I actually was thinking about this last week!

This happened a couple months ago to a high school friend of mine, its awful and very unfortunate so I always make sure I use a floor jack as well as jack stands before I ever get under one off of the ground.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Jack stands are a must for me. I saw one fall once with no one under it and I told myself I would never work under my cars or anyone elses without them.

71catruck

Established Member
had a friend in high school with a jack in front and one in back. no wheels on the car went to get out from under neath it and put his hand on the car it went down on both rotors. he was lucky.

grant007

Established Member
for the record it was a jack-stand, whilst wrestling the filter the jack-stand slid into the lower control arm pocket.the pocket let the car fall 3 inches which saved my life, only to continue to fight this blasted fuel pressure drop problem.i was just in a hurry when i typed that day.

Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
lol the entire thread is about jacks/stands and not about the filter change lol. Anyhow, OP how long did it take you to swap that out? From the sounds of it you had to drop the tank? Never even looked at the pump, are they in the tank or not? I like how the newer cars have access panels.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
It's in front of the tank and you do not have to drop it to get to it. There are a few write ups floating around on here. They'll help walk you through it.

grant007

Established Member
yeah it was the retaining clips that i was stuggling, real easy to do. fuel line release clip FTW.. just make sure you are square on the subframeand not to far back.

neo277

Established Member
I changed mine when i bought the car two months ago, it was a bit more of a pita because the feed line wasnt that long and i couldnt pull the filter down below the tank, also because of the irs you dont have too much room to work with.

But it wasnt too bad though, took me like 20min once the car was in the air.

also, after i jack up any car and place it on the jack stands i shake the car to make sure its not going anywhere. i'd hate to have a car drop on me while im under it.

JoNasty

Established Member
also, after i jack up any car and place it on the jack stands i shake the car to make sure its not going anywhere. i'd hate to have a car drop on me while im under it.

I do the same "earthquake test". Shake the crap outta it and make sure its not going anywhere.

neo277

Established Member
I do the same "earthquake test". Shake the crap outta it and make sure its not going anywhere.

Love it! "earthquake test".

Yea, its funny because when i do the "earthquake test" i always do it again just to be sure. better safe then sorry right.

Users who are viewing this thread