Replace clutch or something else?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Unfortunately not the clutch cable - I unhooked it and modulated the clutch fork with a clamp and same story - engine off, tranmission cannot get out of 1st gear. If I undo the clamp the car acts like it's in first gear (i.e., clutch out). If I clamp the fork then it's like I'm clutch in and can roll the car forward/back but no luck getting out of first

Looks like I'm going to have to pull it apart and see if anything jumps out.

Question - if the transmission is fine (e.g., shift forks arn't bent, etc.), when the transmission is separated from the car, should I be able to use the shift lever and easily row through 1-6 gears (but not reverse because of lockout solenoid)

cobra Bob has a few links posted. 1 is for tremec service manual

The retainer sleeve may still

l did the tob many times
On my back.

luckily this is an easy job to pull transmission

efnfast

Established Member
I got it apart. The clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing all seem in good shape still.

With the transmission detached and free from the car, if I bolt the shift lever back on I am unable to shift gears - it remains locked into 1st gear no matter how much I try to force it.

I'm guessing that means the issue is the transmission?

edit: The input shaft spins freely, no wear marks, and the splines all appear undamaged; the only thing that isn't right about the tranny is that I can't get the damn thing to shift out of 1st gear

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya I’d say that’s a fork problem.

You sure you weren’t banging gears!?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

efnfast

Established Member
Ya I’d say that’s a fork problem.

You sure you weren’t banging gears!?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Nope ... it's my daily driver so I don't beat the piss out of it ... don't want it to break .. and when I do get on it I always shift slowly and no more than 5500RPM.

I was just driving home yesterday, came to a stop and all these problems starts *sigh*

But on the positive side my clutch appears it could go another 100k, hahaha

efnfast

Established Member
Thanks, but I'm just going to bring the tranny to an SVT dealership and say here you go, please fix.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, but I'm just going to bring the tranny to an SVT dealership and say here you go, please fix.

I’d recommend looking for a good trans shop and let them do it personally. That or let a performance shop drop it and ship it off to a reputable performance/repair shop. It probably isn’t much to get some small upgrades done that might make it shift nicer etc... I’d say more reliable but good lord you made it that far

efnfast

Established Member
Yea, probably best to avoid the dealership when I think about it ... I imagine transmission repair to them means just install a new unit ... fortunately there's a few good local transmission shops around me, just have to pick one.

efnfast

Established Member
Yea, probably best to avoid the dealership when I think about it ... I imagine transmission repair to them means just install a new unit ... fortunately there's a few good local transmission shops around me, just have to pick one.

efnfast

Established Member
Verdict - broken roll pin in the transmission. Cost $600 to repair (including putting in new seals)

The shop said the syncros were starting to show some minor amount of wear but could probably go another 200k miles before needing to be replaced

The clutch itself honestly looks like it's only at half-life so I'm going to keep using it. If it's not slipping why bother changing it. I did though buy another OEM cobra clutch cable just incase ... that seems like a part that won't exist much longer and that I might need one day.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow that’s impressive! 250k on a T56 before it only broke a roll pin! Nice! Lol. Reading your symptoms, right away I was thinking internal damage. Almost all manual trannys should shift between all gears when engine isn’t running.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Glad it’s not to bad.

Found pic of my old clutch @365k.
I think mine would have went another few hundred thousand
upload_2020-12-12_10-12-55.png

efnfast

Established Member
Glad it’s not to bad.

Found pic of my old clutch @365k.
I think mine would have went another few hundred thousand

Original clutches are a beast for durability, lol

I'm genuinely curious how long my original clutch can last for ... I'm also ported/pullied/intake/exhaust/tune (since ~10k)

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Obviously not many 5k slicked down clutch dumps huh. Mine lasted 28k miles after I started hammering on it at the track at 27k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread