Reno Air Race crash today

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
Didn't see anything about this, so here it is

3 people dead in Reno air race crash - CBS News

RENO, Nev. - Officials say the pilot of a World War II era fighter plane that crashed into the grandstands at an air race event in Reno, Nev., was killed in the wreck, along with two other people.

Reno Air Races President and CEO Mike Houghton said at a news conference that pilot Jimmy Leeward of Ocala, Fla., died in the crash Friday after apparently losing control of the aircraft.

Leeward owned the Leeward Air Ranch Racing Team and was a well-known racing pilot. His website says he had flown more than 120 races and served as a stunt pilot for numerous movies, including "Amelia" and "Cloud Dancer."

He also was a real estate salesman.

Leeward died when the P-51 Mustang he was flying crashed into a box seat area at the front of the grandstands at the National Championship Air Races at about 4:30 p.m.

At least two other people were killed and 75 injured.

There was conflicting information, however, about whether plane crashed directly into stands. CBS affiliate KTVN reported that it hit nearby tables.

A spokesman for the event called it a "mass casualty situation." Video showed a chaotic scene with several people apparently badly wounded.

Stephanie Kruse, a spokeswoman for the Regional Emergency Medical Service Authority, said 25 people were critically injured and another 25 people were seriously hurt in the crash. More than 25 more people were treated for minor injuries, she said.

Kruse said the critically injured were considered to have life-threatening injuries.

"This is a very large incident, probably one of the largest this community has seen in decades," Kruse told The Associated Press. "The community is pulling together to try to deal with the scope of it. The hospitals have certainly geared up and staffed up to deal with it."

The P-51 Mustang crashed into a box seat area at the front of the grandstand at about 4:30 p.m. local time, race spokesman Mike Draper said.

KRNV-TV weatherman Jeff Martinez, who was just outside the air race grounds at the time, said the plane veered to the right and then "it just augered straight into the ground."

"You saw pieces and parts going everywhere," he said. "Everyone is in disbelief."

Another witness, Ronald Sargis, said he was sitting in the box seat area near the finish line when the crash occurred.

"We could see the plane coming around the far turn — it was in trouble," Sargis told KCRA-TV in Sacramento. "About six or seven boxes down from us, it impacted into the front row."

He said the pilot seemed to do everything he could to avoid crashing into the crowd. Response teams immediately went to work, Sargis said.

"They put out a call for any medically trained or police trained personnel to come and help. Within about two minutes the ambulance crews were loading people up and transporting them away."

After the crash Sargis went up a few rows into the grandstand to view the downed plane.

"It appeared to be just pulverized," he said.

Draper identified the pilot of the P-51 Mustang as Leeward.

Leeward was the owner of the Leeward Air Ranch Racing Team and is a well-known racing pilot. His website says he has flown more than 120 races and served as a stunt pilot for numerous movies, including "Amelia" and "Cloud Dancer."

In an interview with the Ocala Star-Banner in Florida last year, he described how he has flown 250 types of planes and has a particular fondness for the P-51.

"They're more fun. More speed, more challenge. Speed, speed and more speed," he said.

The National Championship Air Races draws thousands of people every year in September to watch various military and civilian planes race.

The races have attracted scrutiny in the past over safety concerns, including four pilots killed in 2007 and 2008. It was such a concern that local school officials once considered whether they should not allow student field trips at the event.

The competition is like a car race in the sky, with planes flying wingtip-to-wingtip as low as 50 feet (15 meters) off the sagebrush at speeds sometimes surpassing 500 mph. Pilots follow an oval path around pylons, with distances and speeds depending on the class of aircraft.

Democratic Sen. Harry Reid issued a statement saying he was "deeply saddened" about the crash.

"My thoughts are with the families of those who have lost their lives and with those who were wounded in this horrific tragedy," he said. "I am so grateful to our first responders for their swift action and will continue to monitor this situation as it develops."

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't imagine the horror of that. The word "tragic" doesn't even begin to describe this event. Pilots have crashed and died at Reno, but there has never been an incident like this.

Jim Snover

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Air shows are so stupid. Every single year there are 1-3 crashes and people die at the show by me alone. Barely anyone even goes to them anyway. What a waste.

Hrbdizzle

Freight Train
Established Member
I'm here on layover in Sparks NV. The Nugget is filled with sad faces. Usually this time of year when the Air Races are in town many people are partying and sharing stories of the races. My condolences to each of the many thousand people that watched this event happen.

I hear that pilot had the most experience flying over 75% of his life. Many videos are already on YouTube. You can definitly tell he was having some sort of mechanical failure. And tried to pull up. He fought it till the end,and steered it clear of the grandstand.

Last edited:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
You sir are a retard and not much of an American.

LOL because I'm sick of constantly hearing about unnecessary deaths every time there's an air show? You're right! More people should die! DIE DIE DIE!! The more deaths, the more American!

Reminds me of the video of the Russian jet crashing into the crowd of people during a Russian air show.

That was a bad one.

Last edited:

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Air shows are so stupid. Every single year there are 1-3 crashes and people die at the show by me alone. Barely anyone even goes to them anyway. What a waste.

On average, in the U.S., 22 people die a year at auto racing events. Are they stupid as well?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Meh, you should have death in the back of your mind if you're at an air show, monster truck show, or drag race. Shit may happen.

6.0GTO

Established Member
On average, in the U.S., 22 people die a year at auto racing events. Are they stupid as well?

Don't bother. He still thinks this was an air show when it was actually a race. So I suppose with his thinking yes, pretty much all organized auto racing should be shutdown to stop all the needless deaths.

Problem is I am guessing most sanctioning bodies could care less what he feels should happen.

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member

:nonono:

People take risks every day and most aren't satisfied staying home surfing World Star Hip Hop in their free time.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Don't bother. He still thinks this was an air show when it was actually a race. So I suppose with his thinking yes, pretty much all organized auto racing should be shutdown to stop all the needless deaths.

Problem is I am guessing most sanctioning bodies could care less what he feels should happen.

Because racing in the air totally isn't a show or anything. :rolleyes:

If they could care less, how much less could they care? A little less or a lot less?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Saw this on the news last night. What a horrific tragedy. You never like to read about things like this. A lot of people and families of the victims are dealing with a lot of emotional pain right now. So sad.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
Saw this on the news last night. What a horrific tragedy. You never like to read about things like this. A lot of people and families of the victims are dealing with a lot of emotional pain right now. So sad.

Indeed. I couldn't imagine being the pilot watching yourself plunge into the ground at around 380+.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Indeed. I couldn't imagine being the pilot watching yourself plunge into the ground at around 380+.

Agreed. Doing so knowing your going out like that and still doing everything you can to save it and as many people as you can.:beer: Gotta give it to him.

Its a sad thing to happen. And yes there is always that loom of danger that always could happen. But its a risk drivers and spectators take.

Prayers go out to his family and all this involved in this.

oldmodman

Established Member
Mourn the dead.

Heal the wounded.

Clean up the airfield.

And start working on a bigger, better, National Championship Air Races for 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread