Removing Spray Tint on Tails

Hunter9003

Established Member
Hi, I was wondering if you guys had any advice on removing spray tint from one of my rear taillights. Its lightly done and I didn't notice till I installed the new one and compared to the left side original. I really rather not sand grit, as well as I may just leave them in the car as I work. Like I said its light but noticeable. What product(s) would you recommend? Thanks

Dark_Horse_5.0

Established Member
Without wet sanding Im not really sure this stuff can be removed. Id be worried about using goof off or any type of paint remover on plastic.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Well, when the lights are "yellowed" or cloudy, a 1500 wet sand with Rubbing or polishing compound is used effectively. I don't see why that wouldnt work here. You could try a small area and see how it works. The compounds in the stores that are for "clearing" the lights have what you need in them also.

Let us know.
RC

Hunter9003

Established Member
Will it eat thru the plastic tho if I just put a small amount on a rag and rub in? Then wipe off when done? Just nervous because its the 01 cobra amber tail lol

T0RCH3D

Established Member
I would first remove the tails if not on the car. I am with RC and would go with wetsanding as by number one option. I don't think there is a need to go that aggressive either I would start at 1500 and see how that works for ya. You might need to drop to 1000 or even 600 but always go for the least aggressive method first. After that I would move through the grits up to 2500 and then compound/polish to a shine. After the polishing stage, apply 70/30 IPA mix to the lights to neutralize any compounding oils and provide a clean slate for sealant. This is the most important part with what ever method you choose, if you don't do this last step all your work can be undone in a matter of weeks.

Murderedsvt

Established Member
After I was done I just washed it off with warm water I polished it and put a coat of wax on them no haze at all

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Glad to see someone removing this crap for a change. I would wetsand and buff it but I bet paint thinner would be easier to do on campus. Maybe just use some Everclear you have laying around LOL.

Hunter9003

Established Member
After a combination of wet sanding, brake cleaner, Goo Gone, and gasoline... I think I got it off LOL. But now its dull, any recommendations? I put wax and sealant on, but what about PlastX by Meguiars?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
What grit sand paper did you use?

You'll need meguiars 105/205 or something similar to bring the shine back. By hand should be fun, I would use a buffer.

mnewxcv

Established Member
meguiars 105/205, or if you need it over the counter, similar stuff is under the name meguiars ultimate compound/ultimate polish. a machine will be easier, but the products can still be applied by hand with a microfiber cloth or pad. I recommend microfiber over a terry pad. after you compound, use the polish, then a quality wax, and they should look better than new. just keep a coat of wax on them each time you wax your car.

Hunter9003

Established Member
Even with both ultimate compound and polish I cant manage to get to shine with the DA I have... any recommendations or somebody I can send it too?

Users who are viewing this thread