Removing aftermarket chip on 04 Cobra

SvtCobra0404

Established Member
hey guys, previous owner said he put a chip in the car. I was wondering if I remove the chip do I need a stock chip or will the car run on the stock tune?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Once you remove the chip the ECU will revert back to the stock tune that's saved in the memory. You don't have any mods that require the tune do you? Things such as a different MAF and injectors will require a tune to run properly.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

SvtCobra0404

Established Member
Once you remove the chip the ECU will revert back to the stock tune that's saved in the memory. You don't have any mods that require the tune do you? Things such as a different MAF and injectors will require a tune to run properly.

Only mods he mentioned were cold air intake, Flowmaster mufflers, aftermarket chip

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just curious. Are you removing the chip to go with a different tuner. ie. SCT tuner? Or are you just wanting to go back to the factory tune. If it's the latter, I recommend you check the A/F (with a wideband if you have one).

SvtCobra0404

Established Member
I bought the car and previous owner said it had the aftermarket chip. Mods done were wms intake , Flowmaster mufflers and the chip. I plan on just pulling the chip out and drive on the stock tune. I won’t be adding any more modifications so I won’t need a tune.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Did the car come with a handheld? If so, you should be able to return the car back to stock, provided that the stock tune is saved on there.

SvtCobra0404

Established Member
I just want to run stock, stock tune. It didn’t come with a handheld. Could I pull out the ecu and remove the chip and will that go back to stock tune?

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Did the PO tell you who tuned it? They might have the stock tune on file if it was tuned with a handheld

Anyhow, I would think you shouldn't have any problems taking the car to your local Ford dealer and have them reflash your ECU back to stock.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
He said it's a chip. No tuner, no handheld.

OP, remove chip from ECU and you will be good to go. No need to reflash anything. Be sure to disconnect the battery. If you want completely stock driveability, remove that CAI and replace with the OEM air intake with a K&N drop in filter.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
He said it's a chip. No tuner, no handheld.

OP, remove chip from ECU and you will be good to go. No need to reflash anything. Be sure to disconnect the battery. If you want completely stock driveability, remove that CAI and replace with the OEM air intake with a K&N drop in filter.

That's where I was mistaken, lol. Should be pretty straight forward since it's only a chip.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Do chips mess with the cars? Would the car run like shit on stock tune with theCAI and Flowmaster mufflers?

Yes, they do. Since you're unsure about the chip in your car, I would remove it just for a peace of mind. I would hope it's a custom burned chip created during a dyno session. I don't have experience with them as I've always had my cars on the rollers so, I wouldn't know much about them.

The car shouldn't be running any different with only a muffler and CAI, IMO

01yellercobra

Established Member
As long as it has the stock MAF and injectors it'll be fine. But honestly if it's running fine there's no reason to remove the chip. You might feel a little loss in performance.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
If it’s running well I’d leave it alone too. Stocks overrated. I didn’t even know they made chips for these cars.. ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SvtCobra0404

Established Member
I’d have to see what chips in, probably check next weekend. Even if it’s running good, I have no idea what type of chip it is, Cars not being driven anyways I just want to run stock, be on the safe side

01yellercobra

Established Member
Have you checked the mid pipe to make sure it's still the stock piece?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This thread is great.
OP asks about removing a chip, and he get bombarded with replies about everything, except for answers to his question.
Why does it matter why he wants to remove it?
Why does it matter who tuned it?

Can he safely remove it? Yes
Is the stock tune still in the ECU? Yes

01yellercobra

Established Member

This thread is great.
OP asks about removing a chip, and he get bombarded with replies about everything, except for answers to his question.
Why does it matter why he wants to remove it?
Why does it matter who tuned it?

Can he safely remove it? Yes
Is the stock tune still in the ECU? Yes
Pretty sure I covered it in my original post.

Users who are viewing this thread