remote start

acrbill

Established Member
Has anyone installed a remote start? I just ordered one and will be tackling the install soon and am looking for tips.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
That pk all may not work for the bypass, as Ford went to an 80 bit encryption sceme on their keys starting in late 2010 Fords. The 11+ Mustangs have the 80 bit keys, but may have either 40 bit OR 80 bit encryption in the vehicle. If it is 40 bit I prefer to use the PKFM module, or if it is 80 bit, I will use the iDatalink ADS-AL-CA module, though you do have to have the programming dongle for the ADS as well as a log in for iDatalink's website.

I personally don't use the 4113 as I just don't like the one button systems, and they are actually more expensive than the 4103. Just personal preference though. Use the second ignition lead off of the remote start to hook up to your key sense wire.

Be very careful removing the shroud around the steering column. It is pretty difficult and you can break it if not careful. I can't say how to do it, its more of a feel than anything.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I'm debating installing one in my 6speed, if it's possible

It is, but not wholly safe. I am working on something right now (mostly in my head currently) for use on the 6MTs. If I come up with something suitable I will definately post up.

acrbill

Established Member
Its definitely possible. You do have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it armed though.

I have a pal who owns a shop so he got me the wiring diagram for my car and I am checking out the install instructions for the remote start online and it seems alright. Most of the wires are located at a junction box in the passenger side kick panel.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I havent tested it, but you shouldnt need to make any connections at the SJB in the pass kick. If you can turn the car on and operate the keyless controls on your key to lock and unlock the car you wont need to make any connections there.

acrbill

Established Member
Well there are a few things that need connecting that all converge in the SJB.
Hood Pin
Brake wire
Alarm arm and disarm
Parking lights

all of those can be found at their source but it should be easier to find them at the SJB.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Hood pin is optional.

Brake wire is found at the brake pedal and is purple/white

Alarm arm and disarm are not necessary if you are going to use factory fob built into key, as the alarm will disarm (but not unlock) with ignition, key sense, and sentry key.

Parking lights can be gotten at the head light switch as a negative trigger. Just need to use a relay as well there.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Oh, and I almost forgot, the factory hood pin on the mustangs is open when hood is up, closed when down, so it wont interface properly with the remote starter. (Remote starter will see the hood as open when closed)

acrbill

Established Member
good info Chuck!

My pal just emailed and said he would do the install for $100 so I am going to go that route.

I installed power locks, power hatch (with a badass homebrew design) and an alarm on my old Toyota and that sort of sucked so I am not terribly upset about having a high end install shop do the work.

kingnut

Established Member
Had a buddy install a viper remote start on my 6 speed acura. I never left the car in gear so it wasnt a problem.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Leaving a car in gear is not a problem for me either, but there times when someone needs to move mine around on the lot, and if i forgot someone else drove it, and they left it in gear................

acrbill

Established Member
There are manual specific remote starters. Here is a cut from manual trans instructions.

Manual Transmission Mode Exit Sequence: With
engine running, press the unlock button. Turn
ignition off (engine will stay running) and open
the doors, then exit the vehicle. When all
doors are closed, press lock button to turn off
the engine and lock the doors. The system will
be able to remote start as long as the system is
not unlocked prior to remote starting.

Some are more involved like you have to set the parking brake and then tap the brake pedal a few times.

ViciousJay

Established Member
It is, but not wholly safe. I am working on something right now (mostly in my head currently) for use on the 6MTs. If I come up with something suitable I will definately post up.

i dont put it into gear ever, i just pull the ebrake... so im not worried

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I don't either Jay. That's one of the reasons I loved my RX-8. The tranny actually had a neutral safety built in, tapped my black/white from the remote starter to that, if it was in gear, I would turn the ignition on, see it was in gear and shut right down before crank. PITA to get to, but a life saver none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread