Remote Start on Manuals?

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
I have a Compustar alarm on my Xtreme Blazer and its really nice to remote start when its like 20 degrees out and getting ready to go to work. I just start it as im getting dressed and by the time i get in its already warmed up and nice'n'toasty inside.

But its an auto tranny so my post adds nothing to the argument.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
first off, a starter only spins 250rpm. the car would be in 1st gear hopefully with the ebrake on. its not moving fast at all, it would have bumped the big rig at 1mph and put a scratch in at best. iirc its because the drag of the car with the ebrake on keeps the engine from fully starting, it turns over but the load lugs it down without any throttle input, thus its always just spinning off the starter.

my buddy had on on his car, after driving it to the store i parked it in 1st not knowing it had remote start. the next morning he went to start it and looked out his window and saw no car. he then ran outside and looked down the street as the ****er was crawling down under power from the starter alone.

most shops will NOT install it there, but the shop guys will usually make a house call to do it on the side. ive also seen where people rig up a bracket and momentary interrupt push switch that is set to where the shifter hits it if its in 1st so the remote start fails to engage.

Definitely. Just a scratch. Here's the pictures from the story:

untitled-1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

I remember when that all went down. It's definitely possible for that scenario to happen and I don't doubt the story line there is true.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Bought my Mach1 used and previous owner installed the alarm with auto start. I love it and its great on those cold mornings. I leave the car in neutral and always apply the Ebrake. Car starts rite up and turns off if desired with the fob. Yes its a manual with the clutch over ride. I can get in the car and start the car without depressing the clutch. -Shane

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
If you have remote start and are dumb enough to leave it in gear you deserve to run your car into something. Plus now-a-days they have some sensors that can tell if the car is in gear and the car won't start. I've had it on 2 of my cars and love it... I mean it's pretty cool to start the car when someone is standing behind it and see them jump:lol:

blumnday99

Established Member
I've got one that's designed for manuals. There's a certain sequence you have to do (step on brake, engage e-brake, release brake, and then press and hold the remote start button on the key fob) before you can "set" the car to be remote started. When you remove the key, the car will stay running and then shut off when you lock the car.

There's no way to leave the car in gear, and shut it off (by locking it) and still have the remote start active...unless you lock yourself in the car holding the clutch down.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Definitely. Just a scratch. Here's the pictures from the story:

untitled-1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

I remember when that all went down. It's definitely possible for that scenario to happen and I don't doubt the story line there is true.

holy shit!

how the **** did this happen?

seriously, the motor CANNOT stay running with the car in gear with no throttle applied and/or the e-brake on. it dies, just as if you were to just dump the clutch in 1st in gear and not add throttle. except that the starter is still trying to start the motor, at max 250rpm. If you think so, next time you are at a light, pull the ebrake up and ease out on the clutch with no throttle, youll kill the motor.

then again, the starter has quite a bit of torque, so id imagine that corvette kept trying to dryhump those trailers and did said damage. Im sorry, but its not like the vette started up, hit WOT in 1st and careened into those rigs at 10-20mph.

even if you start the car, and get it in 1st and coast down with no throttle input and just idle-coast in 1st you are only going 5mph at best at 800rpm. then again, we are talking about glass and a-pillar damage on a convertible, the weakest part of the car. Those pics look about right for a slow speed collision in a very vulnerable part.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
SO much ignorance in this thread... :bored:

I've had a remote start in EVERY manual transmission car I have EVER owned..

ALL have been COMPUSTARS...

Compustar has a fail safe system which won't allow you to attempt to remote start the car if it had been left in gear.. No sensors.. No bypasses or stupid bullshit.. Its called RESERVATION MODE..

This.

jfsram

Established Member
I have an Audiovox alarm/remote start on a 95 Dodge Ram. 5.2L and a manual trans.
Installed by a professional. Specifically designed for manuals.

As said by a couple people. There was a sequence that must be followed to get it to work.

After you arrive at your destination. With the engine running and transmission in neutral. Set the parking brake. Hit remote start button. It will hold the engine running so you can remove the key. Get out of the car. Arm alarm.
Now the engine is idling in neutral with the door locked. Press remote start and the engine dies.

As long as the doors are not opened and the alarm stays armed. You can remote start it.

I did override the sequence by going through each step but staying INSIDE the truck. Then slipped it into gear. With nothing in front of the truck. Hit the start button on the fob. The starter and automatic idle easily overcame the parking brake and the truck marched forward.

As for you idiots who override the system. I'm sure your time will come, just like the owners of the bypass systems who crashed. They also thought, it couldn't happen to them.

jfsram

Established Member
How the engine idles in gear with the brake on, while crashing into things.
Not every car/truck is the same. Like that Ram for example will ALWAYS hunt for idle speed. Even with a car on the car trailer behind that truck. It would climb hills in 1st of 2nd without throttle.

Users who are viewing this thread