Remote Start on Manuals?

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
I searched and found a article on remote start but I was curious has to why companies won't install them on manuals? Ford and other companies I've asked have said for liability purposes and since some individuals leave their manuals in gear that it's not a good idea. Does anyone have this feature on a manual? I was hoping Ford would do it but nope!

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Some people have put them in on manuals. I read once where a car wash guy messing with the remote put a mustang into a wall or something else on the lot.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
NO!!! Dont do that! LOL! For the same reasons as the Ford Dealership mentioned. You'll have a real hard time finding any professional to install it on one also.

I remembered hearing a story about someone who installed one on a vette, and when he went to start it, the car took off and hit a big rig.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
It has long been my practice to leave my manual shift cars in 3rd gear, in case the brake fails. Unless you leave the car in neutral, trying to crank the car would be a problem. Also, most late model manual shift cars have an interlock which requires the clutch be depressed in order to crank the starter, so that the transmission is disconnected and isn't putting a load on the starter motor.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
It just seems like a really bad idea.

I like to start my car from the inside, please and thank you.

Common

Established Member
Any decent shop can do it, you have to instal the clutch bypass to do it!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
NO!!! Dont do that! LOL! For the same reasons as the Ford Dealership mentioned. You'll have a real hard time finding any professional to install it on one also.

I remembered hearing a story about someone who installed one on a vette, and when he went to start it, the car took off and hit a big rig.

I know it was originally posted here, but I stole it and put it on another site.

[ame=http://www.planetlsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2778]Remote Start Fail - Planet LSX Magazine Forums[/ame]

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
This subject has been beat to death on here. If you install a remote starter that is not designed for manual trans applications in a stick vehicle than you are an idiot. Many companies make them for this application and have for years. We have done hundreds of them if not thousands over the years without any issues.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
search function didn't show a whole lot though...i didn't know there was a remote start designed for manuals either. sounds like it's not worth it. thanks for the info.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
There's some designed for manual?

A lil bit after high school one of my friends had a silver Acura Integra GSR with a body kit and everything. Had a Viper installed with remote start. When we would hang out and would be walking to his car he used to say "watch this", hit the button on his key, and as soon as we heard the car start with the fart pipe he would say "Oooohhh":dw:

Well, one time he started to let his mom drive his car to work because she ended up wrecking her car. One time I had to take him to pick up his car from his mom at a nearby Wal Mart. After he got the keys we were walking out of the Wal Mart and had to walk along the front wall of it to get to his car. As we were walking across the front of the Wal Mart, just before we could peak around the corner to see the damn thing he stops walking and tells me to stop. "Watch this". I remember hearing the starter but no woooommm. As soon as we peaked around the corner we saw his car crashed into a tree.:uh oh: As we walked towards the car he's like "wtf?" He looked at me with a blank stare and I looked at him like "Idk, wtf just happened?" Let me just say if there was ever a time that I wanted to laugh so hard but couldn't, this was one. I was so close to just busting out laughing that if I would have heard someone else laughing I would have been on the floor laughing so hard with tears shooting outta my eyes like a Japanese cartoon character.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
A good buddy of mine is a Ford Tech installed one on his 93 Cobra I thought it was a cool idea but I can see where leaving it in gear and jacking up the car or hitting someone or something else would be a big problem. I would always second guess myself and start in from the inside anyway.

heavychevy

Established Member
Ive never had a problem with either of mine, but i have common sense....
If i ever second guess myself about leaving it in gear, I dont remote start it, easy enough :shrug:

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
If only you could start the car in neutral without engaging the clutch but then you would have to engage the clutch if it was in a gear or it would not start at all, that would be perfect. Maybe I don't know enough about manuals to be thinking like that though :(

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

first off, a starter only spins 250rpm. the car would be in 1st gear hopefully with the ebrake on. its not moving fast at all, it would have bumped the big rig at 1mph and put a scratch in at best. iirc its because the drag of the car with the ebrake on keeps the engine from fully starting, it turns over but the load lugs it down without any throttle input, thus its always just spinning off the starter.

my buddy had on on his car, after driving it to the store i parked it in 1st not knowing it had remote start. the next morning he went to start it and looked out his window and saw no car. he then ran outside and looked down the street as the ****er was crawling down under power from the starter alone.

most shops will NOT install it there, but the shop guys will usually make a house call to do it on the side. ive also seen where people rig up a bracket and momentary interrupt push switch that is set to where the shifter hits it if its in 1st so the remote start fails to engage.

Last edited:

BittenInBama

Established Member
I bought my 10th aniv used from a dealership. It had a nice Cobra alarm on it. Did not know, wasn't told (dealer prob didn't know either :shrug:) that the start function was active on it. Wife was getting something out of the trunk one night; when she closed the trunk she had the keychain with remote in her hand and somehow hit the 2 buttons that started the car. It nearly backed over her! Went thru the fence and stopped when it hit an old clothesline post. Ripped pass. side Borlas half off and torn Rr bumper cover pretty good. Wife was a bit startled up and really pissed off.

jokingly told her she shouldn't have been monkeying around with my car.

good thing the couch is comfortable.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
A guy in town had a remote start system on his manual protege and left it in reverse, long story short, his car got f'd up.

divided

Established Member
Im obviously missing something, but how are these manuals with remote starts actually crashing without having gas applied?

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I had one installed on my Evolution 8 as part of a CompuStar (I think that was the name) alarm system. Worked just fine. Locked itself out and would not start remotely unless you shut the car down in a specific sequence that included leaving in neutral.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I had one installed on my Evolution 8 as part of a CompuStar (I think that was the name) alarm system. Worked just fine. Locked itself out and would not start remotely unless you shut the car down in a specific sequence that included leaving in neutral.

SO much ignorance in this thread... :bored:

I've had a remote start in EVERY manual transmission car I have EVER owned..

ALL have been COMPUSTARS...

Compustar has a fail safe system which won't allow you to attempt to remote start the car if it had been left in gear.. No sensors.. No bypasses or stupid bullshit.. Its called RESERVATION MODE..

Users who are viewing this thread