Remote Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir Install

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
The clutch pedal release becomes very inconsistent when the brake fluid heated up. The Boss guys have been struggled with this problem for a while but I think it's more of a problem with the duel disc setup on the 13-14 GT500. Most people won't experience this problem.

Here is a very inexpensive fix.

Wilwood Kit
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProdAcc.aspx?itemno=260-7577

Ford Brake Reservoir
Part # 9R3Z-2K478-B

The plate is 1/8" aluminum 2" X 3.5" $5.43+ shipping

http://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/6061AluminumSheet

6061 T6 Aluminum Sheet (6061ASHT190)
Size: .190
Length: 2.0000
Width: 3.5000

Pictures:
IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0545-2.jpg
IMG_0544-2.jpg

Last edited:

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Will get this done, the plate looks different from one picture to the other...had this issue on my Boss also.

Thanks,

Manuel

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Will get this done, the plate looks different from one picture to the other...had this issue on my Boss also.

Thanks,

Manuel

I used a different reservoir kit the first time. The orifice was to small and it turned into a high pressure sprayer :(

Also I cut the factory hose to short on the first reservoir kit. Instead of replacing the clutch master/hose I extended the hose. You shouldn't have to cut much off of the factory hose to make it fit correctly.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Did you use the same stud to mount the new plastic bracket? Did you have to modify the bracket? How did you secure the batting behind the reservoir?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Did you use the same stud to mount the new plastic bracket? Did you have to modify the bracket? How did you secure the batting behind the reservoir?

The new metal bracket goes to the factory stud and the reservoir attaches to the metal bracket. I removed the plastic nut on the batting and laid the batting behind the reservoir over the metal bracket and stud.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I am trying to visualize the mounting, but am unable to connect the plastic bracket to the "L" shaped metal bracket you have shown.

260-7577-lg.jpg

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I am trying to visualize the mounting, but am unable to connect the plastic bracket to the "L" shaped metal bracket you have shown.

Sorry for the bad picture. The bracket is flat and the blue marks are where I drilled the holes. The single mark is for the stud and the two mark that at the 3" mark is for the reservoir mounting bracket.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification. It is the third picture that makes it confusing.
Did you countersink the back side of the metal plate for flush screws or was there room between the plate and the firewall for regular bolt or screw heads?
Is the clamp between the reservoir and mounting bracket included in the kit?

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Thanks for the clarification. It is the third picture that makes it confusing.
Did you countersink the back side of the metal plate for flush screws or was there room between the plate and the firewall for regular bolt or screw heads?
Is the clamp between the reservoir and mounting bracket included in the kit?

Here are a few more pictures. I installed this one on my friends Boss today.

No need to cut the hose from the clutch master cylinder to the reservoir.

IMG_0597.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Thanks for putting up with all the questions. Nice job.
I have been thinking about this for quite a while, ever since the day I took delivery and the mechanic contaminated the reservoir when he lowered the fluid level with a filthy syringe bulb. I could never understand the rational for sharing a common reservoir, except saving them money.
Is the new brake reservoir the same size as the original?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Thanks for putting up with all the questions.
Is the new brake reservoir the same size as the original?

No worries.... Yes it's the same size. It's for an automatic transmission car. If you want to save some $$ you could put a plug over the nipple fitting. I like the cleaner look. :coolman:
Ford knew there was a problem with this setup. That's why the Boss 302S has a larger brake master cylinder reservoir.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member

I used a different reservoir kit the first time. The orifice was to small and it turned into a high pressure sprayer :(

That was the first kit I tried (above pictures) and it doesn't work with the 13-14 return fluid volume. The orifice is to small and it sprays a nice stream of brake fluid on the back side of the cap and pukes brake fluid all over the reservoir. You don't want any resistance pulling or pushing brake fluid to the clutch master.

BilletProShop could you please edit your post so no one orders that kit.

Last edited:

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Hi, I have all the parts. Could you please post a picture that show how the hose connects?

Thanks,

Mnauel

railroad

Established Member
If you are going to use the fiber lock nuts, you need a minimum of 1 1/2 threads through the nut. The alum plate is thick enough to tap it for the button head screws and not use the nuts on the back, which might hold the plate off the firewall. Use blue loctite on the screws.
I am at a total loss on how this reservoir corrects a problem, but would try it, if I road raced.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I am at a total loss on how this reservoir corrects a problem, but would try it, if I road raced.
I'm no expert but, as 13 Cobra Toy explains in the top post, the secondary reservoir separates clutch fluid from brake fluid. Doing so protects clutch performance from degrading when the brake fluid heats-up.

Users who are viewing this thread