Remember when you were a kid and would put cards in your bike spokes?

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
What would make that sound on my car when I accelerate? I think I have an exhaust leak or something. Between that noise, the rattling & whistling pcv valve, the clunking IRS, and the squeaking brakes, I'm really beginning to hate this car. :mj:

It runs fine, looks great, but sounds like complete ass.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by CobraGirlSVT
What would make that sound on my car when I accelerate? I think I have an exhaust leak or something. Between that noise, the rattling & whistling pcv valve, the clunking IRS, and the squeaking brakes, I'm really beginning to hate this car. :mj:

It runs fine, looks great, but sounds like complete ass.

well, sounds like a poorly installed shifter handle...:p

good luck, I've never experienced the IRS clunk but I've heard that driving it a certain way will get rid of it... brakes? Ceramic pads! PVC valve? Replace it!... don't hate the car, love it, cars tend to become better when they're loved.

:beer:

railroad

Established Member
Probably nothing a trip on the rack wouldn't cure. Maybe would work for the car also. I just couldn't resist it. You got my attention with the old card, clothespin and bike spokes mention. If you put the cards out near the tire it sounded like a 4 stroke, in close to the hub picked up the pluses like you had a set of gears. Anyway I hope you solve the problem, minor I'm sure, and thanks for the memories.

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
No, haven't gotten it to stop but the car does sound a bit better.
I put my old pcv valve back in, it's quieter than the replacement I bought to solve the whistling problem, and since it didn't solve the whistling problem anyways... I took it back out. (Strange Noise #1.)

I have the "cards in the spoke" sound narrowed down to the passenger side of the engine bay. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, though. It was echo-ey in my garage so tomorrow I'll pull it out into the driveway during daylight and try again. I was tightening hoses and clamps and the noise didn't seem AS BAD today, so maybe it's just a vacuum leak as well. (Strange Noise #2)

The NEW noise that started today... a loud rattling which made me think my passenger-side door was going to vibrate off its hinges... I got under the car and saw that the bracket that holds the rear brake cable had broken off, so the cable is hanging loose and I guess rattling around. Hard to imagine it making all that noise (loud enough to startle me whenever it happens... usually when I turn a corner or go over a bump). But I hope that's what it is, seems easy enough to fix. (Strange & Scary Noise #3)

The brakes still squeak. (Irritating & Embarrassing Noise #4)

Car is still under warranty for 4,000 more miles so I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it into a dealership to see what they can do about the various noises.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
When was the last time the brakes were serviced? Did you get it done at your Ford dealership? Last time I had brakes done there they used "brand X" pads to fix a squealing problem and it just made things worse.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
I just put a brand new set of disks and a set of metalic pads on my car. It squeeks a little but man does it stop better. Do you have after market pads. and you may have blown that gasket or have a slight exhaust leak on your passanger side header H pipe area.

djtech

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraGirlSVT
No, haven't gotten it to stop but the car does sound a bit better.
I put my old pcv valve back in, it's quieter than the replacement I bought to solve the whistling problem, and since it didn't solve the whistling problem anyways... I took it back out. (Strange Noise #1.)

I have the "cards in the spoke" sound narrowed down to the passenger side of the engine bay. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, though. It was echo-ey in my garage so tomorrow I'll pull it out into the driveway during daylight and try again. I was tightening hoses and clamps and the noise didn't seem AS BAD today, so maybe it's just a vacuum leak as well. (Strange Noise #2)

The NEW noise that started today... a loud rattling which made me think my passenger-side door was going to vibrate off its hinges... I got under the car and saw that the bracket that holds the rear brake cable had broken off, so the cable is hanging loose and I guess rattling around. Hard to imagine it making all that noise (loud enough to startle me whenever it happens... usually when I turn a corner or go over a bump). But I hope that's what it is, seems easy enough to fix. (Strange & Scary Noise #3)

The brakes still squeak. (Irritating & Embarrassing Noise #4)

Car is still under warranty for 4,000 more miles so I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it into a dealership to see what they can do about the various noises.

PCV is noisey, I have not found a quiet replacement. Rear ceramic pads squeak and this is normal (according to Ford).

Hopefully all that is left is your ebrake cable bracket :burnout:

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by djtech
PCV is noisey, I have not found a quiet replacement. Rear ceramic pads squeak and this is normal (according to Ford).

Hopefully all that is left is your ebrake cable bracket :burnout:

Well, for the pcv valve, I put my old one back in. It stopped the "paintcan rattling sound" that the new pcv valve was making, but not the whistling on start-up sound that I had bought the new pcv valve to stop (I have since determined that the whistling is not coming from the pcv valve itself, but the general area of the pcv valve.

I did anchor the ebrake cable bracket back down last night and I'm happy to say that infernal racket that was making is GONE!! So that's one problem down.

I have the Hawk HPS pads on the car. They are dusty as all hell and I have noticed that the dustier they get, the louder they get. So I can control the level of noise they make somewhat.

But the "card in the spokes" or, as someone else so aptly described it, the "distant helicopter" sound coming from the engine upon startup and accelleration is still there. I think that one is going to require a trip to the dealership to diagnose and correct. I just hope it's nothing too serious or expensive.

Wicked

Established Member
I would say you have a exhaust leak. Its is a ticking and is only under load conditions. It should be coming from the manifold to h pipe joint at the gas pedal area of the floor board.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Do you have cats on your car? Loose heat shields have been know to make that kind of ticking noise.

djtech

Established Member
Originally posted by Wicked
I would say you have a exhaust leak. Its is a ticking and is only under load conditions. It should be coming from the manifold to h pipe joint at the gas pedal area of the floor board.

Yeah I'd agree. I had a leak after I put my headers on because it was impossible with my tools to tighten the passenger side header->HPIPE bolt on the bottom side.

A trip to my friends muffer shop with an impact fixed it. I used a metal gasket too that was better than the one that came w/ the headers. Haven't heard that sound since. I never thought of a helecopter but I can see how someone would think that.

If it is an exhaust leak it will be very easy for a dealer to fix.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
"FMS ceramic headers,"....... I'll bet they are leaking at the head..... or maybe the "h"....... Ford stock manifold gaskets are excellent:thumbsup: ...... I have heard they are better than the gaskets the headers come with.
Get 2 1/2 foot piece of heater hose at any parts store..... and use it as a stethoscope.
Check the throttle air bypass valve(also know as idle air control, or IAC)when the whisle noise happens....
If thats it.......... it might be possible to splice in to the air feed line to the IAC a Town car/ Crown Vic Iac resonator/silencer.
Good luck
BTW...... remember the balloons on the spokes sound?? sounded like a big block,............ for a while....... then Kaboom!!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread