Reliable place for an oil change?

Drwalker02

2013 GT500 Addict
Established Member
Driving 1250 miles to pick up my '13 then bonding on the way home. At 500 miles I'll either be in Nashville, TN or Birmingham, AL. Any recommendations on where to take her?

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
Wait till you get home. Do it yourself. I don't trust any other places with my "good" cars because a friend of mine lost and engine due to a wrong size oil filter on his 2009 corvette installed at a "less than 2 minute oil change."

Just my 2 cents......

mtnclymer

Established Member
My 2 cents, wait to you get home and do it yourself. Should be fine. I am not changing mine until 1000 miles (replacing with Amsoil). Besides even if you average 90 mph all the way to TX you will only be running the engine slightly over idle speed in 6th gear.

And Congrats on the new car. I know it has been a long hard wait. enjoy it!!!!

willfong

Established Member
I also will have a road trip to "bond" with my GT500 once it's ready to pick up in San Fran. I will be driving over 3,000 miles back to NYC. I plan on changing my oil at 500 - 800 miles or slightly higher mileage than that. I feel during engine break-in there would be more particles in the oil sooner than compared to a broken in engine. Of course I prefer to change the oil myself but on the road it will be difficult. I will likely be using a major brand quick oil change place or decent repair shop along my road trip but I plan on buying a Ford OEM Oil Filter from the parts department where I am picking up the car to make sure I have the correct oil filter. I will be using any major brand synthetic oil offered at where I end up changing my oil. I will be watching them like a hawk and checking the oil level before I leave the shop.
Then once I get home with about 4K miles on the clock I will change the oil and filter again on my own.

Last edited:

ThomasS!

If you're dead set on changing the oil at/around 500 miles, take it to Town and Country Ford in Madison, TN and tell them that you want David Hines to do it. He is a Mustang guy like the rest of us and has been there going on 10 years. He will treat your car as if it was his, plus I don't think that they've gotten one in yet and I'm sure he would like to see one in person. Tell him Thomas sent you.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
lol if you really dont' want to wait.. After you pick up the 500, go to harbor freight buy a jack (80bucks) 2 jackstands (30 bucks) and do it yourself in the parking lot of your choice.. and just keep it in the trunk on the way home..

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
lol if you really dont' want to wait.. After you pick up the 500, go to harbor freight buy a jack (80bucks) 2 jackstands (30 bucks) and do it yourself in the parking lot of your choice.. and just keep it in the trunk on the way home..

I dount the type of person who is so anal that would change their oil in a parking lot half way home would drive with quarts of used oil in the trunk the rest of the way.

Penemyone

Established Member
If you're dead set on changing the oil at/around 500 miles, take it to Town and Country Ford in Madison, TN and tell them that you want David Hines to do it. He is a Mustang guy like the rest of us and has been there going on 10 years. He will treat your car as if it was his, plus I don't think that they've gotten one in yet and I'm sure he would like to see one in person. Tell him Thomas sent you.

^^What ThomasS! said!

10 G37 Vert (F-22)
09 G8 GT (B-2)
07 F-150 S/C (B-52)
99 Stang GT 35th Anniv. Pack (Millennium Falcon)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I dount the type of person who is so anal that would change their oil in a parking lot half way home would drive with quarts of used oil in the trunk the rest of the way.

That's why you take it to a autoparts store and drop it off lol. Where else would you pick up the oil??? lol.. :coolman:

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
I buy my amsoil myself, and have the ford dealer install it, " I watch them like a hawk!" its only like $12 plus cost of oil and I don't deal with the mess or anything.

Drwalker02

2013 GT500 Addict
Established Member

Thought about that. Already have the stands AND jack but they won't fit in my trade-in. Hate to double up...

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^^ Find a way to make them fit lol.. even if they sit on the passenger seat who effing cares lol

Drwalker02

2013 GT500 Addict
Established Member
What weight oil does ford/the owners manual recommend?

What brand/formula/weight are members here going to use?

Rotarur

Loflyr
Established Member
The manual calls for a 7500 miles first oil change, I can see how that can be a long time and more reasonable would be a 2-3000 miles first oil change if driven normally, but 500 seems a little too much on the cautious side, unless I missed some important bit of information already discussed here.

Users who are viewing this thread